Buying first fiero(s) next week! by painandgain99
Started on: 08-13-2015 12:43 AM
Replies: 17 (330 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 08-16-2015 07:56 AM
painandgain99

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So im gettin 1200$ towards a fiero, Just wanted to ask for some peoples opions.. For the price, there are 2 running in my area i can get. i can get an 86' 2m4 for 1100$, it has 89k miles. all clean, runs. BUT it needs completely new brakes.. rotors, pads, calipers and some lines. Option 2 is an 88' 2m4, 104k miles. No problems that i know of but the owner hasnt responded yet to me. My 3rd option is this... There are 2 fieros for sale from seperate owners. One is an 86' 2m4 with 65k miles. all good except the trans, second is an 86 GT fastback, all is good but has a nock in the motor. I could pick them both up for 1000$, put the 86 notchback engine in the GT then have a whole fiero for parts. Id love a GT, i have 2 1/2 months before i get my license so i have time to work on it. Opinions on which one? I have to choose by next week.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unless you're a mechanical wizard and have plenty of time (and money), buy one Fiero... that runs well. Otherwise you'll be overwhelmed and possibly never actually drive a Fiero before you throw in the towel.

And don't buy an automatic. Way too boring.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^ I agree! If you haven't seen any of them in person, I wouldn't by any. If I had to pick and you know it's just pads then the first one mentioned. I can't imagine any are very clean for under 1200.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a bunch of Fiero people in the Chicago area. You may want one of tyem to take a look at your prospective purchase with you.

I want you to have realistic expectations, so don't take this as negativity.

Unfortunately, Fieros in that area will tend to be rust buckets. Buying a Fiero shouldn't be a rush decision. It could take a long time for a good one to come along. For that price, it'll have a lot of problems, and you may have a difficulty getting it running before you get frustrated.

A Fiero is an expense, but a bad Fiero is a money pit. You'll also need to find a qualified mechanic that knows Fieros.

Here's the thing. After the Fiero is purchased, the cost of brakes, pads, rotors, lines, verious sensors, the fuel pump, and little odds and ends, you're probably looking at $1000-2000. Then there'll be bearings, tires, the steering rack, and the suspension. Another $2,000-3,000. Then the battery, the alternator, and an oil leak. Then the exhaust. Then the AC. Then the TCC (for an automatic). For a manual, be prepared to do work on the clutch. After fixing these things, you still have a $1,200 car with 90K miles or more on it.

Or, you could wait, perhaps spend $3,500 on a good Fiero, and have fewer problems.

For parts cost & availability, I'd recommend an '86 or '87 notchie. The '87 has the gen 2 headlight motors and larger gas tank.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me get this straight. You are going to pull the duke from the 86 notchie and put it in the 86 GT?
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Let me get this straight. You are going to pull the duke from the 86 notchie and put it in the 86 GT?

Either that or look around for another engine i can put in it. The 86 GT is 500$, that leaves me with 700$ for an engine. Theres a clean 87 gt im going to try and get down to 2500$, he needs it sold quickly. 55k milessuper clean.i can borrow the money.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

painandgain99

375 posts
Member since Jul 2015
Update, i think im going to grab a little 4 cylinder automatic for now.. theres a few in great shape in my price range. And then also try to snag the GT with the nock in the engine for 200$ and keep it for parts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

There are a bunch of Fiero people in the Chicago area. You may want one of tyem to take a look at your prospective purchase with you.

Excellent idea.

Also come to this show they even have a project class:

"This year's Fierorama will be our 20th annual event! Fierorama will be taking place on
Sunday, September 13, 2015 at Pottawatomie Park which is located at 8 North Ave in
St. Charles, IL along the wooded banks of the Fox River near the downtown St. Charles
shopping district; Northwest of the intersection of Route 64 (North Ave) and Route 25.

Our host hotel is the Quality Inn & Suites (formerly the Holiday Inn Express)
located at 1600 East Main Street (also known as Route 64 or North Avenue) in St. Charles, IL.
Call 630-584-5300 to make reservations.
Remember to ask for the Fierorama Special Rate of $78/night, which includes a free
hot breakfast bar, newspaper, fitness center, playground, and heated outdoor pool."

http://www.fierofocus.com/fierorama_2010.html

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can get down towards St Louis there is an Indy here that is mechanically perfect for $1500.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great news. Very exciting for me. At the local car show tonight i stumbled upon an 87 Gt fastback... 29k miles. Original owner. Never had any problems. Im in love. 7,000$. My parents and grandpa are very interested. I may have found the one
fiero_derrickwi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_derrickwiSend a Private Message to fiero_derrickwiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierorama is a must for a midwest show. I'll be there this year ..
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics hommie. Then we can let you know if its a good call on the car.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say grab the 88 first, because its an 88 and has more potential in my opinion (I have an 86 and an 88)

Then I'd go for the 2-for-1 deal.

This is all assuming the frames are good on them all, check behind the trunk carpet and rear wheel wells.
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please check for trunk rot.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For $7,000, that '87 should be in perfect condition, with all maintenance up to date. If not, not worth it. Just my 2 cents.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

If you can get down towards St Louis there is an Indy here that is mechanically perfect for $1500.

Link?
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2015 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im going to look at a few of them any day now, can anyone tell me the most important things to look for? M6 grandpa knows well he had one for a long time but im just looking for some more advice
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2015 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to start figuring out what is important to you. What style you want. There is a 17,000 mile black one on ebay right now for a ret price.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock