Started on: 08-09-2015 04:52 PM
Replies: 6 (414 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 08-10-2015 10:25 AM
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The silver Formula I bought recently was converted to power windows. I could also tell from the feel of the lock mechanisms that it had aftermarket power lock actuators added, although they currently don't do anything.
The inner door skins have a plug where the window crank used to be. (I need to get some door pockets.)

I was curious, so I took off one of the inner door skins, and found a strange sight...

The windows are operated by a gizmo that actually turns the manual crank shaft.
Below is how the lock actuators are mounted. I personally wouldn't have done it that way, but perhaps they will work OK when I wire them up.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 08-11-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be great for aiming my front mounted machine gun turret,
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll bet that aftermarket lock actuator works better than OEM. Mine have more play in them than recess in an elementary school.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a lot of those on old trucks,

I took a set out of my 71 c10 and put it back to stock.
I wish I hadn't thrown them away, I have all kinds of stupid ideas for them now.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like common aftermarket power windows and lock kits I've seen on eBay. I set up power locks in the same way, using an actuator I found on a Toyota in the local Pick-n-pull. Worked great once I got it all lined up properly.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I'll bet that aftermarket lock actuator works better than OEM. Mine have more play in them than recess in an elementary school.

When I went to convert my coupe to power options I bought the factory door lock mechanisms, but when I saw how they were connected I re-sold them on ebay and bought aftermarket. I hooked mine up pretty much the same way and they work better than OEM. At least better than 30 year old OEM actuators.

As for power windows I've seen those kits, but I bought Fiero regulators and installed them. It's not hard, but you need a narrow arm to get all the guts in there where they need to be. Followed the instructions on this site, so it wasn't too bad.

Some people say it's easier to replace the whole door instead of adding power options, but I would disagree. Those doors are heavy and it's hard to get them aligned properly. Not to mention you would have to swap the door skins or repaint.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Some people say it's easier to replace the whole door instead of adding power options, but I would disagree. Those doors are heavy and it's hard to get them aligned properly. Not to mention you would have to swap the door skins or repaint.

That's what I did to get power windows on my 88 coupe. It wasn't too hard, and as a bonus, I got better glass (fewer scratches, and tinted). But I still had to add aftermarket power locks, since the replacement doors only had power windows.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock