First long trip in my Fiero! by MayhemWinters
Started on: 08-08-2015 10:16 PM
Replies: 19 (475 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 08-19-2015 11:52 AM
MayhemWinters

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MayhemWintersSend a Private Message to MayhemWintersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm excited about my first long road trip next weekend in my Fiero (87 Notchie). By the time I get back I will have traveled 900-1000 miles. It will be nice to get the Fiero out of this crazy Delaware traffic and just cruise. Can't wait to see the mountains of Western Maryland and West Virginia after staring at all this flat in Delaware for so long. I'm gonna give it nice bath this week before going, I have plans to paint it eventually to get rid of scratches and such from previous owner. That will be a DIY job, but that's a ways off yet. I'm a low budget guy in that I don't have big money but I also don't want cheap rigged up stuff either. So I try to balance it out and get creative. I'm not going for show quality, just something I love and am happy with. I recently did some upholstery work on some of the interior with my solid color tshirts I have and I'm happy how it turned out. I want to do a short shifter this week before the trip. I'll be doing the DIY version of that also. I gotta get the headlight doors from The Fiero Store too cause the previous owner ripped the original ones off somehow. At the moment I have a piece of sheet metal bolted to lights as a temp fix. I didn't know I could get the original doors when I put the sheet metal on. It doesn't look bad but I think the original doors will look better. I think I'll put a fire extinguisher in the car too because it will be good for a laugh when I get the inevitable " I can't believe you drive that firetrap" speal from someone I encounter on the trip, then I can just show them the fire extinguisher and really blow their mind! I only have one Fiero at the moment, (it's actually the only vehicle I have), but I definitely want another Fiero sometime in the future. Sometime within the next couple months I would like to organize a Fiero meet here in southern Delaware between the Harrington and Greenwood area. We could meet around lunchtime and admire everyone's cars. If anyone is interested, think about it and let me know. Well, I guess I've rambled on long enough. As you can tell, I really love my Fiero! Have a great weekend. -Mayhem
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!

For your long trip, pack some tools and a spare ICM, just in case.
MayhemWinters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MayhemWintersSend a Private Message to MayhemWintersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tshark:

For your long trip, pack some tools and a spare ICM, just in case.

Good advice, thanks!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero can be very reliable if you take care of them. I have done an engine swap on all of mine and several times per year make a 1500 plus mile round trip in one of the vehicles. My longest one way trip in a Fiero was just over 1000 miles and I took the same car back to my home a few months later along the same route.

Nelson
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where in slower lower (always hated that term lol ) do you live? I used to live in Houston but am living in Wilmington now. There isn't a whole lot going on between Harrington and greenwood and I'm not sure how many fiero fans are down that way. As for your road trip,as said before, take and extra ICM and a small tool kit. Check all your fluid levels and burp the cooling system one last time then have at it!

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

MayhemWinters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MayhemWintersSend a Private Message to MayhemWintersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

QUOTE]Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

Where in slower lower (always hated that term lol ) do you live? I used to live in Houston but am living in Wilmington now. There isn't a whole lot going on between Harrington and greenwood and I'm not sure how many fiero fans are down that way. As for your road trip,as said before, take and extra ICM and a small tool kit. Check all your fluid levels and burp the cooling system one last time then have at it!

I live a few miles east of Harrington. You're right, their isn't a much down this way. The place I had in mind was called Rhonda's House of Treats. Its run by a really nice older lady and she makes all the desserts from scratch herself. Just a really neat place. However, the point is moot now because she is closing down the place in the second week of September due to health reasons. Its a shame she can't keep the place open. It just seemed like a cool place for a meet. Wasn't sure anyone would drive down this way, there's nothing to see, but thought I would throw the idea out anyhow. Other than her place there really isn't anywhere else that would be worth everyone's time. The other reason I had this area in mind (other than its where I happen to be right now) is a guy named Speedy Bob who was into Fieros and aside from enjoying them as they are, he also turned them into 3 wheeler's. I thought he would get a kick out of seeing some of the cars, maybe some with swapped motors. Maybe I'll drive up to the show in Neffsville in September. Anyway, on another note I'll be leaving at 2am Sunday morning for my roadtrip, and driving over the bay bridge in the dark, (oh goody). But traffic shouldn't be a problem at that hour. I'll be doing my fluid and lights check etc... tomorrow. Probably wash the car in the morning too. I'm really looking forward to getting out on the open road and seeing the mountains. On Wednesday I did the short shifter modification (the DIY version) and it turned out great. Really smooth, and shifts quicker too! --Mayhem
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2015 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MayhemWinters:

I live a few miles east of Harrington. You're right, their isn't a much down this way. The place I had in mind was called Rhonda's House of Treats. Its run by a really nice older lady and she makes all the desserts from scratch herself. Just a really neat place. However, the point is moot now because she is closing down the place in the second week of September due to health reasons. Its a shame she can't keep the place open. It just seemed like a cool place for a meet. Wasn't sure anyone would drive down this way, there's nothing to see, but thought I would throw the idea out anyhow. Other than her place there really isn't anywhere else that would be worth everyone's time. The other reason I had this area in mind (other than its where I happen to be right now) is a guy named Speedy Bob who was into Fieros and aside from enjoying them as they are, he also turned them into 3 wheeler's. I thought he would get a kick out of seeing some of the cars, maybe some with swapped motors. Maybe I'll drive up to the show in Neffsville in September. Anyway, on another note I'll be leaving at 2am Sunday morning for my roadtrip, and driving over the bay bridge in the dark, (oh goody). But traffic shouldn't be a problem at that hour. I'll be doing my fluid and lights check etc... tomorrow. Probably wash the car in the morning too. I'm really looking forward to getting out on the open road and seeing the mountains. On Wednesday I did the short shifter modification (the DIY version) and it turned out great. Really smooth, and shifts quicker too! --Mayhem

Have fun, But be careful
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2015 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years back there was a guy that came to Fieros at Carlisle who drove all over the USA in his Fiero. He sported a long beard and I believe that he may have been from Iowa. His name may have been Paul. I also recall a woman who drove from California to the East coast in the early 90's in her Fiero 2M4. Many owners have also traveled to the anniversary celebrations in Michigan. Long trips should not be a problem. If you are traveling solo, you can get enough clothing and carry tools, fire extinguisher etc in the car for a long trip but with a companion space is tight.
What I would like to see on this forum is a section where members can get road assistance/parts/repair service in every state and in Canada. At one time there was a 1998 Fiero parts and service manual called the Fiero Yellow Pages. I still have an old one but over 50% of the places listed are no longer in business.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-15-2015).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IIKool:

Have fun, But be careful

X2!

Make sure you have some emergency supplies (for yourself and your car) , a cell phone, and don't push the car too much!

Have fun
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've driven my Formula from RI to CA twice also drove to 41 states.(not all at the same time of course)
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2015 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm considering taking my Formula down to Ft. Jackson SC for my daughter's boot camp graduation. GF needs a car and the Formula only has liability on it. And I don't think she would be comfortable driving the Formula. So Tuesday I may have a long road trip. I'm sure the Formula would do the trip but it always makes one nervous driving a 27 yr old car that far.
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the air pressure in your spare tire ?
Kit
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2015 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Kit

That's a good point actually.
MayhemWinters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2015 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MayhemWintersSend a Private Message to MayhemWintersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

QUOTE][B]Originally posted by Kitskaboodle

Kit

Yes, the spare is fully aired up. Well, I made it to my destination! So half the trip is done, I head back on Tuesday. Going to enjoy every minute of the West Virginia mountains while I can. I already don't want to leave. I used to live down here and I didn't realize how much I missed it. As a matter of fact I'm looking at a place to rent tomorrow, and if all goes well I might be moving! Anyhow, here's how the trip went. Saturday evening way later than I had planned I was topping off the air in my tires. I have a pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it burned up midway through so I borrowed one my roommate had and it finished the job but it got so hot when he picked it up it burned his hand. Why I just didn't go to the gas station and use their pump is anybody guess, oh well, next time. Then after packing late I got maybe 2 hours sleep for a 7 hour trip. So at 3am I set out to leave which was an hour later than planned and what do you know, the Fiero doesn't start! Its had this issue since I got it, it seems to be something in the wiring. The interior lights come on and volts look good but when I turn the key everything goes dead. If I jiggle the battery cables a bit i can get it to fire right up. Thought we had the problem fixed, while changing water pump their were a couple wires not plugged in and after plugging them in the issue disappeared, that is until last night. So, once I got it started I had a foggy windshield to contend with as my a/c bearing is bad and the belt is removed, so I have no defrost. The a/c was never converted anyway so I wasnt using it. So a foggy windshield made for a fun ride. But with the windows all the way down it cleared up pretty quick. So, at that point everything is going smooth...until...after about 75 miles in I get the service engine light...my spirits sink and words were uttered. I did at least make it across the bay bridge before that happened, with 2 way traffic going across and pitch dark, that was a barrel of fun! When it came on we (my mom loves the mountains and adores the Fiero, so she came along too) were just about to get on the Baltimore beltway, so no place to stop really, or no place I wanted to stop, so I pushed on with a prayer and stopped in Frederick.The car was running fine, wasnt overheating. Once we got to Frederick we pulled in a Walmart and shut down for about 20 or so minutes, checked it over a little, as best i could in the dark and when I started back up it was still running fine and the light was off! So I'm pretty happy at this point. I continue on for about 60 or so miles and again the light. So I repeat the process again, and light goes out and we continue on. Light stays out at this point. We stopped for fuel once and then shortly after at the welcome center. Once we left the welcome center the sun was awake so I didn't need headlights anymore. The start of the trip was 55 mph, in the middle was 65. In stuck at 55 or 60 all the time Delaware, so this is first I've had it at higher speeds for a long period. The ECM seemed to be putting off quite a bit of heat. Not sure if that would throw a code if it gets too hot though. But the odd thing is it only did it when it was dark and cooler out and i had all the lights on. Would something electrical throw a code? Because once I hit the WV line it was light and I didnt need the lights anymore. Also WV speed limit is 70mph. So by the time we arrived at destination it was in the 80s outside temp and im hauling ass at 80mph, and the light remained off and the car ran fine and he we are. Im glad it stayed off and car runs great but im not sure what caused the issue to begin with. Also the exhaust is a bit louder than when I started. Maybe a small hole in manifold or muffler. Sounds like I need to give the car a full checkup when I get back. Even with those (hopefully small) issues, its been a great trip! Well, im pretty tired, so I think I'll turn in early. Im looking forward to free hot breakfast buffet in the morning! --Mayhem
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you made it there.....
In my opinion, if the check engine light is going on, then back off, generally it's not something that is going to stop you from getting to your destination. What I'm saying is for you not to get too hung up on that light. Worry more about proper oil level and engine temperature. As for key on but no start/ no crank, you need to ensure your neg battery cable is properly grounded, the cables that go to starter are clean and tight and lastly check the junction box / terminal thingy. You know, the one that has the 10mm studs coming out of it. The connections get loose here sometimes..,
Kit

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2015 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the exhaust got louder it could be an O2 sensor code. Check the codes page on how to get the code, this may give you some piece of mind if it is a major issue. I am pretty sure the CEL has to come back on to get the code.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I randomly get a code 13. Been like that since I bought the car a yr and a half ago. I'm not concerned about it though. I'll probably get to it when I put the car up for the winter.
MayhemWinters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2015 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MayhemWintersSend a Private Message to MayhemWintersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm still in West Virginia, I get to see the mountains for one more day. I thought I might have 2 more Fieros before the day was over. A guy knocks on my window while I was at the grocery store and says "Is this a Fiero?" To which i said yeah. So he tells me he knows this lady whose son had 2 Fieros. He had passed away and she just wanted rid of them. One in perfect shape and running, and the other a parts car. He didn't know much else about them other than they were red. He said she wanted $500 for both. So I was very excited at this point. He took my number and said he would get in touch with her when he got home and have her call me. Come to find out they were already gone. So at this point I'm sad about leaving and now about missing a chance to get another Fiero. And to top that off, mine is having electrical issues and is currently dead in the hotel parking lot. Maybe bouncing around on some of these back roads jarred something loose. What happens is everything appears fine but when I turn the key to start, everything goes dead. No power to anything. If I wiggle the positive battery cable and some of the wires near it, I can usually get the power back and start the car and everything ok. This time its much harder to get it to stay. It quit running while driving it this time. I managed to get it going after many tries and limp to the hotel. I'll need to figure out how to get it going in the morning. I don't have enough money to stay any more nights. Didn't really have it for tonight, but sometimes stuff happens, what can ya do. Something also seems to be rattling rather loudly on the firewall side. Don't know if its related or a separate issue. Hopefully I can come up with something, even a temp fix for now. I got 400 miles to drive back though, and I don't want any problems on the busy roads in Maryland around the cities or on the bay bridge. Me and my Fiero just don't seem to want to go back. Well, I better turn in cause I don't know what tomorrow holds. --Mayhem
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2015 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Live in Baltimore and travel in my Fiero when the house boss lets me. She likes the extra luggage room in her Lumina. Oh well.
The drive train I had in my 85 GT "notchie" is now in my 87 GT. So it's like driving the 85. In the 85, in less than a year, drove from Baltimore to Atmore Alabama, Greenville Tn. Huntington county Pa. and Ocean city Md. many times. I was just over the "bridge" last weekend visiting my brother in law in OC. In Pa. I loved the mountain roads. Just watch out for the deer.
I have no issues driving my Fiero long distance. The Atmore trip was around 1,000 each way. Only stopped for gas and bathroom. Wife pees less at night. So that's when I make the best travel times. Last trip back from Tn., were getting 28-29 mpg out of the 3800 SC. Fieros love I81.

I also had an ghost no start in the 85. It ended up being the bulk terminal next to the battery, beside C500 connector. Where the main battery is connected to the rest of the system. The big cable goes directly to the starter. Everything else gets it's power through the smaller cable on the positive side. Where the smaller cable is bolted to the terminal, there is a buss bar that has 2 holes in it. The other hole is where the fuse link wires connect to the terminal. Mine had corroded under the buss bar and could not see the corrosion until I removed both nuts and the cables and fuse links. It had also caused the top bolt to get hot and melt the terminal block a little. Just enough that I had to unbolt the terminal block from the fender/frame to get to the back of the bolt to keep it from spinning, while trying to remove it. If no one has changed the nuts, and if my memory isn't totally gone. Should be 3/8 for the cable bolts and 5/16 that hold the terminal block to the fender/frame. I have seen a few with 10mm cable bolt nuts and 7mm mounting screws.

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've made the following long trips in a Fiero (from the Atlanta GA area):
In my 88 t-top coupe:
To Pontiac Michigan and back (for the Fiero 25th anniversary).
To Texas and back.
To Pensacola, FL and back (more than once -- my daughter lives there).
In my 86 SE:
To Indianapolis and back (for the Fiero 30th anniversary).
In my "new" 88 Formula:
To Dublin GA, and back (to be in the St. Patrick's day parade with other Fieros).
To Augusta GA and back.

A Fiero is a very comfortable long trip car. The door arm rest and center console are positioned just right to rest your arms while driving, and the seat is perfect.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 08-19-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock