Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New Fiero GT Taillight Lenses For Sale on eBay (not mine)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New Fiero GT Taillight Lenses For Sale on eBay (not mine) by canfirst
Started on: 07-22-2015 01:02 PM
Replies: 12 (613 views)
Last post by: FieroMontreal on 07-26-2015 02:36 PM
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New Fiero GT taillight lenses for sale on eBay, they look gorgeous!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-...?hash=item33a6310724
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The text for the O looks messed up, these are probably some of the Fiero Stores lenses or something.

Look pretty nice otherwise.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sold for an incredible $860.00. WOW! They do look like the Fiero Store reruns not original GM. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2015 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone please reproduce these!? I almost do not want to daily drive my fiero because of it. If there is a source to get them it would not be so bad since I could just get another set and not worry so much
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2015 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I asked the seller if they were OEM or TFS. He said he bought them from TFS years ago. I can almost see paying that much money if they were OEM. Not so much being TFS. My tail lights are delaminating but I'll spray $25 worth of paint on the delam area before I spend close to a grand on new ones.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I asked the seller if they were OEM or TFS. He said he bought them from TFS years ago. I can almost see paying that much money if they were OEM. Not so much being TFS. My tail lights are delaminating but I'll spray $25 worth of paint on the delam area before I spend close to a grand on new ones.

I don't see what the difference is. The production runs of them that TFS were selling, were made from the exact same molds, using the same processes and plastics, as OEM. Once TFS acquired the molds and rights to produce them, then that made TFS (or rather, whomever TFS was having actually manufacture the lenses) the OEM of the lenses. The original OEM could no longer have produced them. Now, those molds are destroyed, so there can be no OEMs, GM has no more stock, and nobody is currently selling reproductions from newly created molds.

The prices when these things show up on eBay or in the Mall here are going to be high, simply because of supply and demand.

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2015 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember what TFS got for theirs but I think it was around $300 for a set. They look pretty good and face it OEM were not perfect. So with the crazy prices of fair or bad OEMs are bringing now I wonder why everyone keeps bitchin about the ones from TFS ?

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 07-25-2015).]

InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I don't see what the difference is. The production runs of them that TFS were selling, were made from the exact same molds, using the same processes and plastics, as OEM. Once TFS acquired the molds and rights to produce them, then that made TFS (or rather, whomever TFS was having actually manufacture the lenses) the OEM of the lenses. The original OEM could no longer have produced them. Now, those molds are destroyed, so there can be no OEMs, GM has no more stock, and nobody is currently selling reproductions from newly created molds.

The prices when these things show up on eBay or in the Mall here are going to be high, simply because of supply and demand.

The difference is TFS advertised and sold taillight lenses with imperfections to the lettering at a discount. That's the only difference I know of. They aren't very noticeable imperfections, especially when installed.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an answer to replacing the tail lights with something that looks nice. The light panels made by a few of the fiberglass guys like PISA no doubt change the appearance of the rear to a Ferrari 308 look but its better than driving around with shabby lens'. There was also a Vette style light panel made for a while that used Oval Vette lights but AFAIK the manufacturer retired and stopped production.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2015 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InTheLead:

The difference is TFS advertised and sold taillight lenses with imperfections to the lettering at a discount. That's the only difference I know of. They aren't very noticeable imperfections, especially when installed.

My recollection is that they manufactured a few, that did not turn out so great, and sold them as "Blems" for a discounted price of $199. I have a pair of those on my car, and I got lucky, as there are no distinguishable blemishes, and look stock. On the Fiero Store page for the blems, they had graphics showing red circles around where the blemishes were in the shape of the O, the corner of the N and such.

They went on to see a lot of sets that were not blemished for $299 I believe. Those were fantastic, and I actually have a pair here. They are very hard to distinguish from the original Pontiac ones from the factory. They are identical, right down to the DOT lettering and such.

Found it! It pays to be what a friend of mine calls me a "digital pack rat"

(Typical PIP fashion, not working yet AGAIN!!!!!!!!)

Here is the image on PostImage.org, a link that will probably die soon

The only thing my Fiero Store blems have is a slight bend in the "T", and none of the other stated problems.

Not sure if a lot of people know this, but there were a LOT of sets of molds for the tail lights for the GT. They are only good for a certain number of sets of lights before the "wear out" and are retired. I know someone that used to own 2 sets, he bought at an auction. GM somehow tracked them down, and forced him to turn them over to them to be destroyed.

There is a remote chance that there is another set out there somewhere that could turn up some day......

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 07-26-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2015 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
I don't see what the difference is.

It was my understanding that the ones sold by GM were of a much higher quality than the ones sold by TFS. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2015 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know why the FieroStore destroyed the mold? Was it not theirs to keep(leased thru GM)? Seems pointless to destroy. I can't imagine it was so huge that it couldn't be stored. Unless it molding multiple sets in a single use.
What other options are out there?

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

Does anyone know why the FieroStore destroyed the mold? Was it not theirs to keep(leased thru GM)? Seems pointless to destroy. I can't imagine it was so huge that it couldn't be stored. Unless it molding multiple sets in a single use.
What other options are out there?

The Fiero store did not destroy the mold, the company that was making them for the Fiero store went under and the fiero store wasn't notified. The molds that were used for the tail lights were lost when that 3rd party went under because the fiero store was unable to get the molds back prior to liquidation.

What a fiasco that whole story was.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock