Started on: 07-21-2015 10:24 AM
Replies: 5 (171 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 10-06-2015 04:10 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2015 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit early to start prepping for Winter, I know. But I'm going to need to put tires on my Formula soon and I'm planning to go with Winter tires on the OEM wheels and later get some 17" wheels and tires for the rest of the year. I'm looking for recommendations on good snow and ice tires in stock sizes for an '88 Formula.

Front: 205/60-15
Rear: 215/60-15

No studded tires, but studdable is fine. Ice traction is important since we don't get much Winter weather but what we do get is usually more ice than powder. I've searched on TireRack and am leaning towards the Firestone Winterforce, but I'd like to see what other people have first hand experience with on their Fiero.

How good of a snow plow IS your Fiero?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2015 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just used all season Dunlops or Bridgestones on all my Fieros for year round driving in Ohio. Ive never gotten stuck or lost control. HOW you drive in winter is a lot more important that what tires....just my 2 cents.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run winterforce here and have had blizzak on a Fiero. Either will be fine. Check out the reviews for those who drive a lot on ice. Around here, we drive on snow/ice 5-6 months a year. World of difference driving a Fiero with winter tires. They will be noisy, compared to standard tires, but I would rather have traction (getting stuck in your own driveway can be annoying). If you drive a lot of dry pavement, they will wear faster. I run winterforce year around on the Aztek and they last about 4-5 years before having to be replaced.

I should add, winterforce is by far the most popular up here... but that is because of the SNOW and ice we get. You may be better with a tire that handles the ice, vs snow. I don't know if winterforce are really ice tires as much as snow. They work great on both, but just saying.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 07-21-2015).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bridgestone Blizzak tires work great. I've found they have great traction on ice and snow.
In fall we get wet snow/freezing rain a few times before it gets cold enough to be falling as "dry snow".
These are on a heavy Van, but should work as well if not better on a Fiero.
https://www.insurancehotlin...op-ten-winter-tires/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-06-2015).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had good luck with General Altimax Arctic snow tires on my Yaris. I've never used snow tires on a Fiero, so no experience there but the Generals turn my Yaris into a snowmobile....I never get stuck or lose traction!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
General Altimax Artic on all 4 corners for the Fiero. Tall and skinny. They were rated real high by Tire Rack. I have used for 2-3 years and will again use the same set this year. My Son had some on his Saab 9.2 (WRX) when he had it and had a ball trying to get stuck. When it came time for one of his sisters to get tires General Altimax Arics were recommended. With the heavy engine and auto in my Fiero, it went through some snow my wifes then new car could not. LOL

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 10-06-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock