egr leak doubt 2.8 by nibotolu
Started on: 07-16-2015 04:39 PM
Replies: 2 (219 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 07-16-2015 05:31 PM
nibotolu

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nibotoluSend a Private Message to nibotoluEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi guys.
i have a high idle in my 85 gt 2.8 and also very poor fuel millage and i was searching for causes so i read this.

"One of the most common spots for a vacuum leak is the EGR tube. About the easiest way to 'check' that one is to cut out the side of a soda can to make a blanking plate."

my question is if i do this and the engine starts to rev better can i leave the piece of can as a solution. or am i going to need to delete de egr?
hope someone can help me.

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's not a "solution", it's a test procedure.

If your EGR tube is cracked, replace it. A properly functioning EGR system improves your gas mileage and doesn't affect performance.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the easiest ways to check for a leaking EGR tube is to try to wiggle it after starting the car (engine cold -- you don't want to touch a hot one). If it has a leak, you will hear a changing hissing sound as you wiggle the tube.
Another check is to spray starting fluid on the EGR tube. If that causes an increase in RPM, you have a leak.
Both of these checks are easier than installing a blocking plate, which must be on the manifold end of the tube to do any good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock