Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  what do you think the fiero would look like today?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
what do you think the fiero would look like today? by yellow peril
Started on: 07-15-2015 12:50 AM
Replies: 39 (1030 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 07-17-2015 11:43 AM
yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just daydreaming and thinking , what if the fiero never got cancelled and was in production straight through to the end of pontiac like the firebird, what would it look like? maybe like a sunbird or a mini firebird or some boring cookie cutter car or maybe something really radical like a small bat mobile?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original styling is hard to improve on, it still looks modern.
I am positive GM would have found a way to detract from its looks.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with olejoedad, I didn't really care for the '89/'90 prototype, & i'm sure it would have gotten worse.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice but mid engined hopefully. Though they arent around now either...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the main reasons that I purchased a Fiero is for what I feel is timeless styling that doesn't commit too heavily to the 80's time period. The design is also somewhat aerodynamic, the body panels are rustproof and the car is easy to customize. IMO, a set of modern 17" or 18" wheels seems to make a big difference.
If the Fiero existed today I envision a design like a reissued Mustang, Camaro or Challenger where they took the original styling and added smoother curves to the body.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would look like a Fiero.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something like the re-active body that I designed over 3 years ago for my wife's 88 GT (barbie):

Which coincidentally, the 2017 Corvette has some of the same lines.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 07-15-2015).]

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez TXOPIE every time I see that car I fall in love with it all over (maybe expect the pink). red or black is perfect. The lines are perfect in my opinion.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a beautiful car, TXOPIE--except for the color. That would be great if the Fiero came out like that. An alternate would be the one that is on the cover of the FOCUS magazine.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys....its pink & black to mimic Barbie's existing color scheme:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 07-15-2015).]

yellow peril

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that is a great looking car. I can see that being "todays" fiero. I am in agreement with the above statement of the 89-90 model, not a fan, and I agree with the styling being timeless. but barbie would do it. wonder how much that would be if produced today. another thing is the interior, my kids are constantly making fun of the boxy dash and how I like them (I also like 1980 malibu's another squared off interior). todays fiero I imagine would have something like a G6 interior and a nav system.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2015 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is it that every time these threads come up, so many people seem to agree that a Fiero produced today would look the same as the Corvette being produced today, with a photoshopped mash-up of a Fiero and a Vette?

Even the XLR didn't really look like a Corvette, even though it literally was a Corvette chassis with a different body and driveline. Pontiac was well into its transformation into mediocrity at the time of its closure. The racing heritage it created from the late 50s through the 70s had been long gone for quite a while at that point.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Acura NSX is what the Fiero idea taken to full realization could have been. So, a modern Fiero might look like an NSX concept car.

Similarities to what could have been a 2nd or 3rd gen Fiero...

And then the concept...

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yo it is on this months cover of Smoke Signals. I am at work now so I can scan it and post.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by dobey:

Why is it that every time these threads come up, so many people seem to agree that a Fiero produced today would look the same as the Corvette being produced today, with a photoshopped mash-up of a Fiero and a Vette?

Even the XLR didn't really look like a Corvette, even though it literally was a Corvette chassis with a different body and driveline. Pontiac was well into its transformation into mediocrity at the time of its closure. The racing heritage it created from the late 50s through the 70s had been long gone for quite a while at that point.

IT WOULD NOT LOOK like a corvette. The scumbag cry babies at chevy would see to that!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well... a commuter car.....

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice but mid engined hopefully. Though they arent around now either...

Quite. Apparently me liking a two-seat American sports car enough to buy one is a certain kiss of death for the car and brand. So he says with a Sky Redline and Fiero GT in his garage.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

IT WOULD NOT LOOK like a corvette. The scumbag cry babies at chevy would see to that!

I know this. But why does everyone keep photoshopping Corvettes to look a bit like a Fiero, or photoshop Vette stuff onto a Fiero, and say "this is what it would look like" whenever this topic comes up? Because that's exactly what happens.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
Well... a commuter car.....

Well, the Spark is a death trap, so at least it's like a Fiero in the eyes of the public, in that respect.

They are too small, but at least not as small as the Fiat. I was given one as a rental this past weekend, and I hated pretty much everything about that car. It could barely get out of its own way, the trans felt extra slippy, and it felt very light on the road, like it had a bit of lift. Plus the fuel economy was not that great for being so small and a hatch.

Felt like a scooter with doors.
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got ahold of a new car magazine not long ago that had an article saying Cadillac is working on a mid engine design car. The new later model caddys are getting sportier and sportier. Whatever they come up with will probably be revisited as the "new fiero." It would be great for gm to pick the baton back up once again where they left off. Even if it is branded as a Cadillac. Would be interesting though to see them incorporate some fiero characteristics.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

I got ahold of a new car magazine not long ago that had an article saying Cadillac is working on a mid engine design car. The new later model caddys are getting sportier and sportier. Whatever they come up with will probably be revisited as the "new fiero." It would be great for gm to pick the baton back up once again where they left off. Even if it is branded as a Cadillac. Would be interesting though to see them incorporate some fiero characteristics.

Nope. It'll be a new XLR. If Cadillac is playing around with a mid-engine platform, it's almost certainly going to be the same platform as the C8 Vette. I'd expect a Vette with a Cadillac body, and probably the twin turbo V6, or maybe they'll finally build a new V8 based on the High Feature V6 platform.

But a Fiero, it will not be.
PFF
System Bot
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I meant when more people hear about it they will think of the fiero... mid engine.. I believe Cadillac already has already copied the new vette with the caddy like featuring of other recent models. Either way it would be impressive. I hope it makes production. Who knows you might be able to pick one up for a cool 70 g's after it is born.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The original styling is hard to improve on, it still looks modern.
I am positive GM would have found a way to detract from its looks.

Agreed. The GT has timeless appeal, like the 2nd gen 300z and the Shelby Cobra.

The Gen 2 prototype I thought looked blah- like a Ford Probe.

There is a certain balance of curves and edges that really appeals to me. The Saturn Sky, yes. The Pontiac Solstice, no. Fiero, yes. Probe, no.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

I meant when more people hear about it they will think of the fiero... mid engine.. I believe Cadillac already has already copied the new vette with the caddy like featuring of other recent models. Either way it would be impressive. I hope it makes production. Who knows you might be able to pick one up for a cool 70 g's after it is born.

I doubt it. Expected price for the C8 is going to be in the 150K range. Expect the Caddy to be probably 20-30K more than the Vette. It is nothing at all like the Fiero ever was. The C8 is going to be a be on par with performance of the 918 and P1, for about 1/10 the price. Think more like 700+ HP and AWD hybrid.

It will be nowhere near the commuter car status of the Fiero.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by lorennerol:
The Gen 2 prototype I thought looked blah- like a Ford Probe.

I think part of the problem with 89/90 prototype, is that people tend to assume that the production car would have looked exactly like it. That's a fairly false assumption to make, though a production car would have looked similar.

Remember the C7 concept car? Or the Gen 5 Camaro concept car? Chevy SS concept? Chevy Volt?

A production 90 Fiero would have looked similar to the prototype, but I would expect some changes to probably have been made before it hit dealerships. Also, the 4th Gen F-bodies probably would look totally different if the Fiero would have been produced in a 2nd generation, rather than being killed off.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures of possible Fieros. This Months Smoke Signals

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-15-2015).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Pictures of possible Fieros. This Months Smoke Signals

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this a solstice?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

Is this a solstice?

It's the Opel Speedster.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think part of the problem with 89/90 prototype, is that people tend to assume that the production car would have looked exactly like it. That's a fairly false assumption to make, though a production car would have looked similar.

True. I liked it except the headlights and the lack of (IMO) significant interior changes.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

There is a certain balance of curves and edges that really appeals to me. The Saturn Sky, yes. The Pontiac Solstice, no. Fiero, yes. Probe, no.

I'm with you there. Though I dont see the probe in the 89/90. I more see a 93 Camaro Fbird.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm with you there. Though I dont see the probe in the 89/90. I more see a 93 Camaro Fbird.

Exactly because your view of the prototype is tainted by the history that wouldn't have happened were the Fiero continued through to production in the 90s.

It looks like the F-body, because the F-body design was changed to look like the Fiero after it was scrapped. Had the Fiero not been scrapped, the F-body would probably look completely different, and nobody would say the Fiero and F-body cars look alike.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if a Gen 2 Fiero made it into production, I'm pretty certain GM would have screwed it up/killed it by now.

They did the same thing with the Kappa platform (Sky, Solstice, Opel GT, Daewoo whateveritwascalled): The Gen 2, to be built alongside the Corvette in Bowling Green, was on the board, and then they scrapped it. Some will say the recession caused this, but I didn't notice Mazda killing the Miata/MX-5 during the recession. Even a Gen 1 Kappa with an interior upgrade option (which is where most of my complaints with the car lie) would have been amazing.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even if a Gen 2 Fiero made it into production, I'm pretty certain GM would have screwed it up/killed it by now.

They did the same thing with the Kappa platform (Sky, Solstice, Opel GT, Daewoo whateveritwascalled): The Gen 2, to be built alongside the Corvette in Bowling Green, was on the board, and then they scrapped it. Some will say the recession caused this, but I didn't notice Mazda killing the Miata/MX-5 during the recession. Even a Gen 1 Kappa with an interior upgrade option (which is where most of my complaints with the car lie) would have been amazing.

I'm pretty sure Mazda wasn't filing bankruptcy and looking for government bailout at the time, either. With Pontiac and Saturn both laid bare on the examining table, and almost certainly going to get chopped off to end the gangrene, there's no way the Kappa platform would have continued. The Opel and Daewoo versions were just rebadged Saturn Sky models for foreign markets, with the only change literally being the badging. Kappa sales were also trailing off in the later years, just like the Fiero's were.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It looks like the F-body, because the F-body design was changed to look like the Fiero after it was scrapped. Had the Fiero not been scrapped, the F-body would probably look completely different, and nobody would say the Fiero and F-body cars look alike..

I guess it sounds like you mean the Fbird / Camaro is injected with Fiero Dna, my view really wouldnt change that

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-16-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2015 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess it sounds like you mean the Fbird / Camaro is injected with Fiero Dna, my view really wouldnt change that

It is. But this fact is true, because the Fiero was cancelled prior to 2nd gen hitting market. Had it gone to production, the 4th gen F-bodies would almost certainly not have looked like the Fiero.

I presume you also only ever saw the prototype Fiero after the 4th gen F-bodies had been out for some time?

It's not about what your view would or wouldn't change (because how you view it, isn't going to change what actually happened at this point), but broadening your view of what may have happened, had the past worked out differently. Because that's what this thread is about. "What would the FIero be like to today, if it wasn't killed."

My point was that it would look exactly like a Fiero, and nothing at all like a Corvette or F-body.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

Is this a solstice?

No it is an Opel Speedster, also was available as a Vauxhall. Mid engine two seat car. As you can see the Germans love to mod the car from stock.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-17-2015).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, that's a Vauxhaul VX220. I had one in England for a very short while. Very similar to the Fiero. Kept my Fiero fire lit!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is. But this fact is true, because the Fiero was cancelled prior to 2nd gen hitting market. Had it gone to production, the 4th gen F-bodies would almost certainly not have looked like the Fiero.

I presume you also only ever saw the prototype Fiero after the 4th gen F-bodies had been out for some time?

It's not about what your view would or wouldn't change (because how you view it, isn't going to change what actually happened at this point), but broadening your view of what may have happened, had the past worked out differently. Because that's what this thread is about. "What would the FIero be like to today, if it wasn't killed."

My point was that it would look exactly like a Fiero, and nothing at all like a Corvette or F-body.

Good point. I was pretty much just comparing notes with lorennerol as to what the 89/90 prototype looks like though. Outside of the realm of if Fiero continued or not. But anyway NBD Though even the F bodies around the same time as Fieros were, had alot in common to me, looks wise.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-17-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM cars all seem to BLOAT over time... the Fiero likely would have as well.

It would NOT be as sexy as this Cien concept.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay