Started on: 07-14-2015 01:28 AM
Replies: 25 (957 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-17-2015 01:27 PM
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My GT is a southern car so the paint and clear coat have lost the battle with time. I've been thinking about dipping it for a while now, mainly to make it all one color until I get the dough saved up for a real paint job. When dip your car announced a 20% off sale over the 4th of July weekend, I decided to pull the trigger and buy. I bought the 2 gallon small vehicle pro car kit, with the extras minus the 20% it cost me a total of $328.12 with shipping. I decided to take the time and paint the jambs too so the masking process was a little more involved but I think the end result is worth the effort. Did a little body work to fill in all the nicks and dings.

Here are a few before and after pics, I need to dip the rims black yet but I really happy with the color and the end result.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wally27

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wally27Send a Private Message to Wally27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks real good. I like that color a lot!
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job
Eric_PA

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Eric_PASend a Private Message to Eric_PAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! Was there a clear coat used with the plasti dip, or do you just shoot on the color then done?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great so far.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eric_PA:

Looks good! Was there a clear coat used with the plasti dip, or do you just shoot on the color then done?

If you want shiny "paint", DYC makes a glossifier. Sort of like a clear coat but not quite the same. Think of Plasti Dip'ing your car like you're covering it with a balloon. You're never gonna make a balloon super shiny. Most people just spray the car and go for a matte finish.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going for the matte finish. DYC has a new high gloss top coat but it's $90 bucks a gallon. I bought their "dip coat" spray on protectant, it makes the dip feel less like rubber and helps with scratching and marring.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, big change, looks good. Can't wait to see it in person at the Shipman show.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great. So does the dash/steering wheel...and the engine. You must be single! If only...
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Looks great. So does the dash/steering wheel...and the engine. You must be single! If only...

Married for 16 years........to a very understanding wife.

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have never chosen that color...but man it looks dogone good!!! And the black rims should really set it up nicely!
PFF
System Bot
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, did you dip the mirrors too or are you leaving them black? Also plus to you for painting the jams, it really helps bring the car together when you're popping the hood or door (I'd hate seeing the factory color every time I opened the door, so I dipped the jams too.) Interesting that you dipped the "inside" of the sail panels. I decided to rattle can that area satin black and continue the black to the body color section above the tail lights (that you can't see when the decklid is closed.) This would make it easier to change colors without removing the decklid but as you did, it just seemed easier to take it off (I took the hood off and headlight covers out too.)

Why didn't you mask off the sail window area? It looks like some overspray got on it which is more of a pain to peel off. What pieces are you using there and doesn't it need to stick?

Make sure to post some pictures out in the sun soon!
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

Looks good, did you dip the mirrors too or are you leaving them black? Also plus to you for painting the jams, it really helps bring the car together when you're popping the hood or door (I'd hate seeing the factory color every time I opened the door, so I dipped the jams too.) Interesting that you dipped the "inside" of the sail panels. I decided to rattle can that area satin black and continue the black to the body color section above the tail lights (that you can't see when the decklid is closed.) This would make it easier to change colors without removing the decklid but as you did, it just seemed easier to take it off (I took the hood off and headlight covers out too.)

Why didn't you mask off the sail window area? It looks like some overspray got on it which is more of a pain to peel off. What pieces are you using there and doesn't it need to stick?

Make sure to post some pictures out in the sun soon!

I painted the mirrors with a satin black epoxy paint. I've seen a few GT's with the black inner sail panel trim painted the same color as the body and I liked the look so I thought I'd try it. I also painted the rear grilles green as well. The sail panels are the fiberglass ones from Fiero fiberglass and they attach with push clips so no tape is needed. I will post more pics as I get things reassembled.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks really nice. like the color you chose.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing interstate

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks really nice. I like how you did the jams as well and spent some extra time taking things apart and prepping it properly.
Charlie1963

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie1963Send a Private Message to Charlie1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great. Gives me some incentive to post pictures of my plasti dip '85.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many coats do you get out of 2 gallons? Looks good!
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

How many coats do you get out of 2 gallons? Looks good!

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. Being it was my first time dipping, I was really concentrating on getting good coverage without any runs (I got 1 ) and I wasn't keeping track. But I'd guess the sides got about 4 coats and the lids 5 coats. My hood and roof were in bad shape so I made sure they got the most coats. I emailed DYC and they told me 2 gallons would be enough to do a Fiero so that's what I went with. The camo green has excellent coverage so I just sprayed until I had just a little dip left in the cup for any future touch-ups. I guess I'll find out when it comes time to peel it if I got enough on there.

I started on the wheels today. I am going with black and a glossifier topcoat to give them a little sheen

Also started bolting parts back on the car. I got the mirror, taillights, and decklid installed as well as my faux carbon fiber sail panels.

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:
Married for 16 years........to a very understanding wife.

Sign me up for one of those...

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love it. Major improvement. Congrats man!
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the finished product. I decided to paint the belt molding the same color as the body for a little different look. I wasn't quite sure if I'd like it but I figured I could peel it off if I didn't. I removed the drip rails rather than tape them off to paint, I like the way it looks without them so I think I'll leave them off for now too. Overall I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. A few days worth of work and a few hundred bucks has transformed my old sun-faded car into something special, I wish I would have done it earlier.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 07-17-2015).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is the finished product. I decided to paint the belt molding the same color as the body for a little different look. I wasn't quite sure if I'd like it but I figured I could peel it off if I didn't. I removed the drip rails rather than tape them off to paint, I like the way it looks without them so I think I'll leave them off for now too. Overall I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. A few days worth of work and a few hundred bucks has transformed my old sun-faded car into something special, I wish I would have done it earlier.

I think it looks great!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet.

Something I have always wondered, how to folks deal with bugs stuck to plastidip in front? Bug remover takes it off ok?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-17-2015).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Sweet.

Something I have always wondered, how to folks deal with bugs stuck to plastidip in front? Bug remover takes it off ok?

Any petroleum or solvent based cleaner will disolve the dip and make a mess. Check out this video:

http://www.dipyourcar.com/f...Off-Plasti-Dip-VIDEO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any petroleum or solvent based cleaner will disolve the dip and make a mess. Check out this video:

http://www.dipyourcar.com/f...Off-Plasti-Dip-VIDEO

No audio where am so is he just pressure washing or using a special dip safe remover first?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock