Fiero Store Headliner re-line kit? by FieroMontreal
Started on: 07-10-2015 05:56 PM
Replies: 5 (676 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-13-2015 12:55 PM
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone had issues with the Fiero Store's headliner re-line kit?

I followed all the instructions I found on Pennock's and it just doesn't seem to be giving me the proper outcome.

My original headliner board was in pretty good shape. I removed all of the headliner fabric, left over foam and glue that the previous owner injected. It took me over 3 hours to get all of that done. I filled in the thumb tack holes with fibreglass patches and applied resin to the whole headliner board. Once the resin dried for 48 hours I sanded it all down, wiped it clean and applied the spray on glue on both the headliner board and fabric. I let them tack and then pressed them together. I waited 24hours to make sure the bond was good before flipping the headliner over and installing the board in the car.

I seem to have a good bond in most area's but it's just not sticking correctly inside the passenger side hump (non sunroof). I can press it together but the next day it sags again. Although minor, it's really annoying. Now I haven't had the car outside yet since I've done the headliner, now I'm concerned if the whole thing will sag the day I take the car outside for the first time.

Has anyone else had issues with the Fiero Store headliner re-line kit or am I missing something?

I've contacted the Fiero Store however they don't have much of a solution. Justin suggested buying another re-line kit and redoing to job over again...

------------------

AKA. FieroAlex

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 07-10-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find an upholstery shop and have them attach the material. They have better glue. Material is available from Joanns fabric.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a product mentioned in a similar post recently that recommended a 3M product called Foamfast74. Can't locate the post here so maybe it was another site. But the product got rave reviews from users.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/40720040

Spray Adhesive, Size (Oz.) 10, Net Weight (Oz.) 17.25, Temp. Range (F) 0 to 120, Application Time 15 Min., Substrates Flexible and Rigid Foam, Upholstery Foam, Plastics (Latex, Urethane), Fabric, Felt, Cork, General Upholstery Foam Bonding, Mattress Assembly, Bonding Fabrics to Aircraft Interiors, Speakers, Office Partitions, Bonds Flexible Urethane or Latex Foams to Themselves or to other Lightweight Materials
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which adhesive does the FS kit come with?

The internet is full of people who've had bad luck doing headliners with the typical 3M 77 (or is it 9077?) adhesive.

I've had good luck with 3M 38808 "Headliner and Fabric Adhesive". Granted I've only used it on two headliners but so far so good, through some very hot days. Note that on the non-sunroof headliners you have to kind of stretch the new fabric to properly fill the passenger "wells" (otherwise it'll bunch up around the opposite rim because there's too much material) and that's the first place you'll start to see it coming unglued.
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was shipped with "K-GRIP premium foam, fabric & trim" spray.

I thought it was the 3M Fabric & Trim spray that everyone is raving about but it's k-grip. I never heard about that company before?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:
I seem to have a good bond in most area's but it's just not sticking correctly inside the passenger side hump (non sunroof). I can press it together but the next day it sags again. Although minor, it's really annoying. Now I haven't had the car outside yet since I've done the headliner, now I'm concerned if the whole thing will sag the day I take the car outside for the first time.

It seems the 'non sunroof' coves are a problem pretty much across the board. I returnred a few new ABS headliners before recieving one that was not sagging right out of the box. I think non sunroof cars are rare enough that there are a lot less people who have dealt with them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock