Advice on 1987 GT Purchase by baseBallz
Started on: 07-05-2015 11:23 AM
Replies: 5 (151 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-05-2015 03:33 PM
baseBallz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for baseBallzSend a Private Message to baseBallzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to purchase a 1987 GT manual transmission that has less than 10K miles and is in excellent condition. This woluld be my first Fiero purchase. I have heard about issues with the clutch in these cars and that repairs can be expensive. Is the problem and expense that bad and what other concerns should I have.
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To directly answer your question... The cradle has to come out from the bottom to replace the clutch. The engine either has to be disconnected from the trans, and supported from above, or the entire drivetrain has to come out in one big piece.
But unless it's been severely beat on, the clutch should be fine for years to come.

Having said all that...
I'm guessing you're going to pay a premium for a 10K car. You may have a lot of other little issues to deal with. Seals and hoses can dry up from sitting. Calipers like to freeze up. A lot depends upon where/how it was stored.
All the fluids and filters should be changed. The fuel pump will commonly need replacing, unless the fuel has been kept full, and treated with fuel stabilizer. (Rust and "grunge" can kill a fuel pump.)
I would expect to throw maybe another grand at it, to make it reliable. But that should cover everything.
Details. Probably nothing major will need doing for a long time, but it may "nickel 'n' dime" you for quite a while.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-05-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as the clutch/fork/bearing are good under the bell housing (and they should be if it has less than 10K miles), they will probably last another 80K miles at least, unless you don't know how to drive a manual, and end up burning it up faster.

You're going to have to do some serious driving to put that many miles on the car.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Advice on 1987 GT Purchase ?

Sounds like a great Fiero to buy. If you can find one the owner may be asking a premium price.
Whatever Fiero you end up with, make sure that you have a large set of good tools on hand. Although a 10K mile car is probably in great shape and very drivable; the car is still 33 years old. Fieros with this little mileage are not easy to find. Things deteriorate with time, like seals, CV boots, shocks, struts and wheel cylinders. They can be suspect. Electrical system parts like distributor cap, rotor and headlight motors may need replacement. Changing the gas filter and fluids is also in order. Does the car have the original tires? If so they won't be safe to drive on. These are not big things and this car should be ready to go in short order. Point is expect to do some work to get it road ready and reliable..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

baseBallz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for baseBallzSend a Private Message to baseBallzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I would plan on changing the fluids, hoses , etc. and with that low miles could be good or bad as it depends on how well it was maintained. I will be looking at the car later ths week so I will have a better idea of the overall condition.
Thanks for the replies

[This message has been edited by baseBallz (edited 07-05-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Advice on 1987 GT Purchase ?

... the car is still 33 years old.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock