Turbo return line question by 2nasti
Started on: 07-02-2015 07:12 PM
Replies: 7 (126 views)
Last post by: nosrac on 07-02-2015 08:44 PM
2nasti

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2nastiSend a Private Message to 2nastiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am switching to a turbo. I will be mounting it off of the rr manifold. I don't see a clear path or a decent angle to run the turbo return line to the pan. Am I missing something or should I just be using a remote scavenge pump and run it to the existing oil level switch bung on the other side of the pan?

Thanks for any help.

------------------
87 Fiero GT, 3800sc; 4T65E-HD; Comp Cam; 3.1" pulley, home ported sc inlet/outlet, N* & lq4, 3.0" exhaust, & plog, E85, dm300, 65# injectors, wb, hp tuners.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The drain is gravity if it's not on a pressure line for a cooler or something, just make sure it flows down hill and make it larger and it'll flow fine

The real question is that you are planning on using a turbo on one bank of your exhaust and not the other? The other bank is going to get jealous....

------------------

2nasti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2nastiSend a Private Message to 2nastiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rr manifold = rr of car. Mounted like darks. Sorry for any confusion. From that location, to get the drain hose to the pan would require an uphill trip over the trans where it runs next to the oil pan(small gap between trans and engine), or under the trans and uphill to the pan. Gravity drain does not seem logical with a 4t65. Again, unless I am missing something. Routing it around the trans would likely contact axles. The starting point off the turbo and the top of the oil pan are not that different in heights to begin with, unlike a top mounted turbo over the trans on the driver side. Easy to gravity feed from there.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Route Under the trans by the diff and up to the pan.
Fluid Dynamics
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by nosrac:

Route Under the trans by the diff and up to the pan.
Fluid Dynamics
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics

If it makes u feel better weld the return port on front of oil pan but it's not necessary.
2nasti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2nastiSend a Private Message to 2nastiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, so I can even use the existing hole on the other side? From eyeballing it, it would seem the oil would have a hard time going back up to drain. I will give it a try. Thanks. I am sure I will have more questions for you guys as it pieces together.

Thanks
2nasti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2nastiSend a Private Message to 2nastiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2nasti

43 posts
Member since Sep 2014

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

The real question is that you are planning on using a turbo on one bank of your exhaust and not the other? The other bank is going to get jealous....

lmao. I just realized your were being faceious. Sorry, its been a hard day. The other bank will just have to deal with it, besides it got the Plog, right? It's only fair the other side gets something fun too.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2nasti:

Wow, so I can even use the existing hole on the other side? From eyeballing it, it would seem the oil would have a hard time going back up to drain. I will give it a try. Thanks. I am sure I will have more questions for you guys as it pieces together.

Thanks

Yes, as long as the Turbo return is higher than the oil pan you are good. Also make sure your return line is sufficient to handle the flow.
-10AN or -12AN

Do an experiment it doesn't matter how long the return line is or how much uphill it has to travel. The only requirement is that the fill point is higher than the settled fluid.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock