Simple & Smart Protection by TXOPIE
Started on: 06-25-2015 12:20 PM
Replies: 4 (280 views)
Last post by: TXOPIE on 06-26-2015 12:24 PM
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys,

I came up with something that has probably already done before, but thought I would share just in case anyone found this useful.

Since I own a decent amount of cars and sometimes they sit for a month or so...I wanted to find a battery kill switch that was remote controlled.

And I found one that works great that was originally designed for RV owners by WithCo "Battery Doctor Battery Life Preserver Automatic Battery Disconnect Switch"

Then I started thinking how this would make a pretty good security system. Every time I park, I just click the remote and it remotely disconnects the battery...hard to steal a car without power.

Which led me to the next thought...which is what about my infotainment deck's memory...that would be a pain in the @ss to deal with it loosing all its memory every time.

So the next step was how do I keep power hot to the the deck's memory.

I attacked this issue by utilizing the following hardware: Wagan self re-charging Auto Jumper

I am going to hard wire the unit's power input to my battery and it's output into my radio memory wire and ground...housing the unit in my G1 glove box.

Problem solved!

So now I am protected in two ways for only $150 and pretty easy to install everything:

1. Theft
2. Having a dead battery

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool.

I use one of these

Pretty low tech but does the job.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They also make a battery connector than you can unscrew the connector knob and take it with you. It also has a small 18 gauge wire with a fuse to keep the memories on the computer and radio. If someone tries to start it, it wont start and the fuse blows.
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea. Are you going to keep power to the car's PCM memory so it doesn't have to "relearn" all of the emission settings and such?
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Good idea. Are you going to keep power to the car's PCM memory so it doesn't have to "relearn" all of the emission settings and such?

Not at this time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock