What's a better fiero to buy? by 5xdad
Started on: 06-10-2015 11:52 PM
Replies: 27 (463 views)
Last post by: Carcenomy on 06-14-2015 05:27 AM
5xdad

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need help from experienced fiero peeps! I'm going to buy my first one but which is a better choice?
#1- 1986 se v6, working AC, 4 speed. 146000kms and $4000.
#2- 1984 4 cyl 4 speed. Lots of options but no AC. One owner car tho with 64000 original kms.
Both are nice cars. Both have sunroofs. Clean. Well looked after. The '86 has aftermarket stereo. '84 bone stock. Just looking for a reliable fun car to drive. Which one??thanks!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'll probably enjoy the '86 SE better.....the V6 is more fun to drive (IMHO).
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V6 all the way. But honestly it's not that fast either... I could never imagine a duke...

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 5xdad:

1986 se v6, working AC, 4 speed. 146000kms and $4000.

For a lot of reasons, this is the better car... but not at $4000. That's about twice what it's worth.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all, welcome!

See the price guide here. Now, there are exceptions, but the car would have to be in very good or very bad condition to chanhe the value much. In the final analysis, it's wan agreement between what the seller is willing to take, and what you're willing to pay. I didn't see a price on the '84.

In general, I agree on the 1996 SE being the better choice; however, there are no pics. We don't know if they have rust issues or not. They could both be bad choices. I have no interest in 4-cylinder cars, but some people are very happy with their 4-cylinder Fieros.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed- that pricing seems really high. Make sure to check for rust underneath really carefully. Don't go by mileage, since Fiero odometers are dead simple to roll back, dashes are easy to change, and I have seen several that were driven for years with an unplugged speed sensor and not adding any mileage to the odometer.

I would stay away from the 84 personally, and look for a rust free V6 car

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 06-11-2015).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of the two, I'd go with the 86 (but not for the $ mentioned, as by others). The v6 is nicer to drive, and 84s were slightly different than 85-87, so you'd have an easier time with support/parts-finding with the 86. Plus, AC.
5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any tips on where to look for rust? Any other defects to spot?also since I've never driven one before, what should I be looking for on test drive? (I've bought used cars before of course but this ones a bit different!)
kwagner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Under the trunk carpet, and around the battery tray, are two big areas I can think of. If possible, look underneath at suspension pieces and the cradle. Nothing more of a pain than rusted cradle bolts Check also for rust under the nose (rad support etc).

I know there's a buyer's guide around somewhere that lists some good things to check.

Look at the coolant tubes that go under the car. There's a jack point near them, make sure the lines haven't been crushed at some point.
5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really good tips. Thanks!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much is the 84?
PFF
System Bot
5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Price wise tho, everything I've seen listed so far under $3000 looks really sketchy
5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

5xdad

12 posts
Member since Jun 2015
The 84 is $5500. There's also not many AC units available. Is this important?
5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

5xdad

12 posts
Member since Jun 2015
Selling a red 1986 pontiac fiero se 2M6 with a V6 engine. Manual 4 speed transmission. Sunroof, power windows, ac, defrost. Excellent condition, nothing wrong with car. Very fast car runs 217km/hr. Thousands were put into this project car by previous owner and mods. Car has an upgraded deck/stereo for iphone/ipod/android. Installed 4 aftermarket speakers worth $250. Has $1000 brand new tires with receipt and warranty. Has shock suspension installed in the rear and front shocks are in the trunk ready to be installed for the car. Low km, only 146,872km. Very flashy classic car to drive around this summer. I have a box with extra parts for car, including factory radio and speakers. Comes with 2 spare keys. Please call 780-965-4903 or email if interested. $4000
5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

5xdad

12 posts
Member since Jun 2015
That's the ad for the 86
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just based by that description (and that he pushed it to over 200 km/h) would tell me that this car may have been beaten up. Again, ignore the mileage- it means nothing.
Pictures would help, and again look for rust! I have imported rust free southern US cars for less money than this. The 88 is a much nicer driving and handling suspension.

Up to you, but If I was to spend $4k on an 86 V6, I would hold out for a babied, dead stock looking one, than one that has been modified and driven hard.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 84 is $5500. There's also not many AC units available. Is this important?

I'd probably pass on both and keep looking.
The 86 seems like a flipper.
5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I'll keep looking.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Remember to check out "the mall" here on the forum too.

Heres a rust pic of a trunk corner, on fieros its all hidden pretty well.

Search the site too you will find lots of helpful info and pics too.

http://www.fierosearch.com/...rust&Action=DoSearch
Search "Entire Forum + Archives" and "subject/username".

Another thing to consider as mentioned is if the odometer is rolled back, if it says 40k miles and the pedal pads are worn or the carpet or seat, it may not be true. But then those items can be replaced too.

84 has a lot of one year only stuff on it. Many thigns were done better in later years. 88 is the most updated, even with better completely redesigned suspension.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The V6 Fieros offer more options for upgrades as they have heavier duty springs and suspension. The V6 autos get terrible gas mileage like 20 mpg on the highway, about 23 with the stick but they are more fun to drive as they have more power. The 2M4 with the 5 speed gets 40 hwy mpg and about 30 around town. Its the ideal commuter car that offers mileage comparable to modern cars . What's better to buy is best answered by its intended use but don't over pay for a 30+ yr old car.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The V6 autos get terrible gas mileage like 20 mpg on the highway, about 23 with the stick but they are more fun to drive as they have more power.

My 4 speed GT from 86 has gotten up to 30 on the high way. I average about 26-28 tho.
PFF
System Bot
5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm actually finding it hard to find any decent units at all under$3000. Need nice body and interior. AC seems really rare in canada.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AC seems really rare in canada.

Is that an issue?

I brought a Formula up from the States and removed all the A/C components. Just excess weight as far as I was concerned.

5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much was it and was it hard to import?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How much was it and was it hard to import?

The price was right, it was given to me... but it required a lot of work, including installing a clutch. It had been sitting for years and had to be trailered across the border.

In theory it wasn't difficult to import, but as happens to everyone occasionally, I met up with border agents (Canadian and American) who were absolute pricks. Made the experience a lot more complicated and stressful than it had to be. I'd have to really really really want a car from the States before I'd do it again.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-14-2015).]

5xdad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5xdadSend a Private Message to 5xdadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's too bad. How's the car coming along? Are you going to drop something interesting in the back?!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How's the car coming along? Are you going to drop something interesting in the back?!

Oh, I'd say it's coming along fine... I've been autocrossing it for a year now. It's still very much a work in progress cosmetic-wise. However, it goes great.

If the 2.8 were to blow up, I'd probably put a Camaro 3.4 in it. Simple swap, and good for a few extra ponies. Someday I'd like to acquire a SBC powered Fiero, but that would be more for a boulevard cruiser, and definitely not for autocross.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know it's a really hard one. Having had both engine options they each have their merit points - the V6 is more powerful, sure, but the four is still perfectly fine as a nippy little commuter and quite ginger on the fuel.

With the '84 there is a feature or two it could have that weren't available on the later models. The 4-speed came in two flavours for '84, the M19 4.10 ratio and the MY8 3.32 ratio. The M17 in the V6 Fieros is 3.65. MY8 is not terrifyingly common and behind the Duke I'm told gives pretty meagre performance, but does mean good cruising and fuel consumption characteristics. The '84 could also have the additional duct controls. Wiring and some body bits are different between 1984 and every other year too, so be vigilant.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock