Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I overcame a small Fiero "hurdle" today...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I overcame a small Fiero "hurdle" today... by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 05-29-2015 12:30 AM
Replies: 7 (493 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 06-07-2015 10:12 AM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Namely, I changed out my auxiliary gauge wiring harness.
I have tried to remove them before at local yards but always gave up in frustration. This time I really examined everything carefully (the harness connector ends , the hole it goes through , etc..) Casual examination
shows the " hole" (upper left of the console skeleton) as rectangular, which it is but if you look closely with a flashlight it is actually "rounded- out" toward the back area of the hole. This is all important to know as the proper way to thread the new harness in is to thread the square connector down into the hole first, from the top. Also, when you do this you must thread/angle it downward almost horizontally and NOT vertically. It needs to be threaded toward the very back portion of the hole or it's not gonna go through. Lastly, I don't think it would be possible to weave/thread it upward the opposite way since the other connector (the thin rectangular one that plugs in to the bottom of the aux gauge pkg ) cannot get through the same hole.

I apologize if this is boring but I don't know how else to explain this procedure. But I can tell you this method works!
Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nobody here has replaced this wiring harness ?
Kit
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't, yet, but will be doing so in the coming weeks. Did you happen to take any photos?
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No...
Read my instructions above carefully and you should be able to figure it out.
By the way, the reason I even changed out the harness is because I had a serious wiring issue with my gauges. The gauges would work ok until the parking lights/ headlights were turned on. Then, the needles would peg at zero and stay there. After a year of this the gauges stopped working altogether. Since the wires that go into the connector at the gauge end looked kinda mangled, I decided to put in a fresh wiring harness and another aux gauge from a donor 86 GT. Everything is all put back together and works as it should now.
Kit
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Nobody here has replaced this wiring harness ?
Kit

Yes.
Many of us have replaced, modified and totally rewired the Aux. Gage Panel harness.
Tapping into the main IP cluster feed for the temp gage and re-routing it over and incorporating it into the Aux Gage panel is only one of the "hurdles".

------------------

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Aux Gage panel

Ah man, that is just beautiful.

ringostarr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ringostarrSend a Private Message to ringostarrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just repaired by wiring harness today. There was a bad ground in the square connector. Your advice came in very handy. Thanks!
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good...
Glad it helped someone!
Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock