Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Who drove their Indy on Indy 500 Day? Who nearly totalled their Indy on Indy day?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Who drove their Indy on Indy 500 Day? Who nearly totalled their Indy on Indy day? by jscott1
Started on: 05-25-2015 01:34 AM
Replies: 15 (492 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 05-29-2015 02:58 AM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would use the Indy as a grocery getter after watching the Indy 500 on TV...

Well, the Indy was nearly totaled by someone today when some person in a pickup truck decides to turn left right in front of me. I'm going 30 mph westbound on this narrow one lane in each direction with steep ditches and trees on either side road. The driver of this truck signals, but I have no idea why he or she pulls out and turns left right in front of me. I honk the horn and slam on the brakes and they lock up of course, and there's no way I'm going to stop in time before hitting this truck. With collision imminent I decide to let off the brakes and swerve into the oncoming traffic around the back of the truck and swerve back into my lane before the car coming behind the truck hits me. Somehow I executed all this successfully without hitting either car or going in the ditch and just continue on my way.

Well at least the Indy is still in one piece and not totaled... but it was close.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2015 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mine is in driveway waiting on my health to let me drive her again
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe your Indy thought it was a Indy car
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Maybe your Indy thought it was a Indy car

It actually reacted far more quickly than I expected with it's bone stock 30+ year old suspension.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drivers of pickup trucks look right over the top of Fieros. Try it yourself. Park your car in front of a pickup truck and go sit behind the wheel of the truck.....it's pretty scary.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Drivers of pickup trucks look right over the top of Fieros. Try it yourself. Park your car in front of a pickup truck and go sit behind the wheel of the truck.....it's pretty scary.

I know. I have a Chevy Avalanche which has the worst rear visibility of any truck.

Maybe I didn't explain it right... We were going in opposite directions, how do you not see a white car coming directly towards you with 60 mph closing speed?
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The other thing I notice when driving the Fiero is: oncoming traffic seems to think I am further away than I am....maybe because the car is so small... but in any case, they seem to have much less to fear in an accident, and just get careless.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The other thing I notice when driving the Fiero is: oncoming traffic seems to think I am further away than I am....maybe because the car is so small... but in any case, they seem to have much less to fear in an accident, and just get careless.

I just noticed this he other day when driving towards a large glass window. The car looks further away than it is because it's so small...!
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That and MOST DRIVERS ARE IDIOTS.
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

The car looks further away than it is because it's so small...!

I'm beginning to think this is true

Originally posted by Formula88:

MOST DRIVERS ARE IDIOTS.

I KNOW this is true

I almost wrecked mine this morning. A Range Rover did a rolling stop at a stop sign to my right (I had no stop sign) & drove through the intersection in front of me WHILE LOOKING AT ME. I locked up my brakes, missed him by inches.
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jscott1, I have not enjoyed driving my Fieros in north Texas like I thought I would after moving here. The north texas drivers in the BMW and SUV club are very careless and I'm always on vigilant defense. Flying through parking lots, not yielding, tailgaiting, challenging me to race, coal rolling me, swerving into my dedicated turn lane. The list goes on. Definitely makes me keep them parked at home way more than I used to drive.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

Jscott1, I have not enjoyed driving my Fieros in north Texas like I thought I would after moving here. The north texas drivers in the BMW and SUV club are very careless and I'm always on vigilant defense. Flying through parking lots, not yielding, tailgaiting, challenging me to race, coal rolling me, swerving into my dedicated turn lane. The list goes on. Definitely makes me keep them parked at home way more than I used to drive.

This is the sad reality of having a rare, (but not necessarily expensive) Fiero. I have a close call nearly every day in my daily driver in crazy Houston traffic. If I wreck my daily driver no big deal just buy a new one. But if you wreck a nice Fiero it's like losing a family member.
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sricka.....in all fairness, you DO live in frisco. That is the headquarters for the suv driving soccer moms and douchebagery that is the corporate bmw driving moron. They are all too busy faceplanting and twitting and trampchatting so there is no time to drive safely. Come on out to Ft Worth! Its far more open and laid back!
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to have those sort of run ins all the time with the Fiero, even people literally moving into my lane when i was right beside them! Luckily I never had an accident in it yet... The biggest change came after I got my motorcycle, when on the bike you have to think "I'm invisible" and drive very offensively. Since I've owned the bike I noticed those encounters I've had with the Fiero have gone way down. I don't trust anyone to see me, and it does work out well.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

I used to have those sort of run ins all the time with the Fiero, even people literally moving into my lane when i was right beside them! Luckily I never had an accident in it yet... The biggest change came after I got my motorcycle, when on the bike you have to think "I'm invisible" and drive very offensively. Since I've owned the bike I noticed those encounters I've had with the Fiero have gone way down. I don't trust anyone to see me, and it does work out well.

Yeah on my bike I expect to get whacked with a SMIDSY "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You" But in the Fiero I get lazy and expect them to see an actual car, (even if it's a small one). But I learned the other day that's not a good practice.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2015 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Much of the problem is new cars have such a tall belt line..
and with that tall belt line comes mirrors that are so high that our cars when beside them, are almost not in the view..
never mind trucks.. they have such side blindspots .
while I was behind a Toyota camery I looked at the trunk, the trunk is almost as high as the roof of my stock fiero.. no one is looking for something that low anymore..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock