Started on: 05-24-2015 06:41 AM
Replies: 7 (211 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 05-27-2015 06:55 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm giving a friend both of my motors (2.8 and 3.1) to scrap. I need to know what parts of the 2.8 are Fiero specific so I can remove them before I give him the motor. I know the upper plenum (intake) is obviously Fiero specific since it's one of the engraved plenums. What else should I remove?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just give him the short block. Almost all the bolt-ons are specific to the Fiero. The water pump is used by other vehicles but the timing cover, all the mounting brackets for AC, alternator, dogbone, etc, are Fiero. Heads are used by other vehicles and the 87-88 oil pan is interchangeable with others.

Browse through this list and see what applies.
http://www.fierosails.com/PartsManual.html
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2015 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd save the whole 2.8 until you are done.. they are not that big .. but it's easier to walk out and get the part than to hunt for it.
bigdust80

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigdust80Send a Private Message to bigdust80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd basically pull every part that bolts to the heads and block and save it. Just about everything is Fiero specific minus the long block. If you don't need it you can turn around, sell them and keep them in circulation.

[This message has been edited by bigdust80 (edited 05-24-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bigdust80:

If you don't need it you can turn around, sell them and keep them in circulation.

That was my goal. I have a 3800 so I don't need the parts but 1) I'd hate for Fiero specific parts to end up as scrap and 2) I could use a few extra bucks. I'll start working on it tonight. I hope things don't get too messy.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999
I got the 2.8 mostly disassembled before my sugar dropped out. (Note: check sugar before getting elbow deep in oil/grease.) More "backwoods engineering" like one of the bolts on the alternator was "fixed" by welding a socket onto the mounting stud. Who the heck does that??? I'll sell the bracket but the new owner will have to figure out how to remove the alternator. I broke a couple things trying to get parts off. Like, there's some sort of fuel block in between the upper and lower plenums. As I was trying to remove the lower plenum, I screwed up some of the fuel (?) lines going to that thing. I'll bet I took 80# of stuff off the motor. I'm hoping it's light enough now that I can drag it outside. (No way I can drag the 3.1 outside since it's complete and it has a tranny attached.)

Most probably already know this but if you're doing motor work, a set of deep sockets is a great thing to have. (I don't have any.)

One question. I got one of the exhaust headers off but the other (firewall side, I think) has a heat shield attached. It looks like there are 2 nuts, one thin one holding the heat shield in place and a regular sized one holding the header on. I can't get anything on the outside nuts (holding the heat shield on) to loosen them. Any suggestions? I'd sure like to get both headers off.
bigdust80

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigdust80Send a Private Message to bigdust80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe torch them off if you're scrapping the 2.8? You want to get the manifolds off. They are highly sought after since they tend to crack, especially the front one.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got them off. They're for sale.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock