Diesel Fiero by Kjell Niklasson
Started on: 05-21-2015 03:24 PM
Replies: 12 (1115 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 05-25-2015 07:21 AM
Kjell Niklasson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kjell NiklassonSend a Private Message to Kjell NiklassonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone

My first post on this forum! I am from Sweden. Found this forum ~ two years ago, when i bought my Fiero.

I just want to show my car, this will not be a project thread. Mayby a bit different Fiero?

So, it's a -84 2m4. In quite good shape, almost no rust, but could use a paintjob and some interior.

I have converted it to diesel, using engine and gearbox from Mercedes Vito, 112CDI. It fits more or less. Had to cut a bit into the frame over the gearbox, and also a bit on the right "strut tower" <- hope thats right name for it? Also, i removed the lower part of the rear luggage compartment, to be able to fit the exhaust under the car. Small modifications to the subframe, for engine mounts.

Then there of course was a bit wiring to be done, but not to hard. Instrument, immobilizer, engine ecu and abs unit are taken from the Vito. The abs unit is because the engine wants a speed signal. So one sensor is mounted on left rear wheel.

I made my own coilovers rear. I used coilovers for VW Golf III. The have almost same size as Fiero.

The car works great, i have driven it about 10000 kilometers with the diesel engine.

More pictures of the build can be found here: http://www.kjenik.se/#!album-12

Edit: Hmm... pictures a bit bigger than i thought. Changed them to links instead.

Edit again: Fixed the pictures one more time, now resized to "forum" size. Full size still at link above.

[This message has been edited by Kjell Niklasson (edited 05-23-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Cool. Thanks for sharing!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. Welcome to the forum.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-21-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF! That is a fantastic build. If you took pictures along the way, you should consider doing a build thread. Not a lot of diesel builds out there and it looks amazing!

Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting build! Welcome to the forum.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. You should do a build thread. Nice work.

Do the side plates still fit? If you cover up the piece you cut out of the decklid and paint the left strut tower to match the right one, it'll look even better.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 05-21-2015).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks like a clean install! Very nice!

Welcome to the forum!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome, great first post. I like how you put the switches together on the center stack.

What MPG are you getting ? Did I see an intercooler, or was that a trans cooler ?

Here some links to my TDI Fiero
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092218.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082918.html

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 05-22-2015).]

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is just cool, great job and welcome to the forum.

Jack
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! When you can - tell us about the coil over's and post pic's please.
Kjell Niklasson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kjell NiklassonSend a Private Message to Kjell NiklassonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all!

Originally posted by tshark:

I agree. You should do a build thread. Nice work.

Do the side plates still fit? If you cover up the piece you cut out of the decklid and paint the left strut tower to match the right one, it'll look even better.

Yes, the side plates fit.

The engine bay is painted black all over. I guess it is the picture thats not right.

The cut in the decklid will be fixed sooner or later.

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Welcome, great first post. I like how you put the switches together on the center stack.

//images.fiero.nl/2015/y2.jpg

What MPG are you getting ? Did I see an intercooler, or was that a trans cooler ?

//images.fiero.nl/2015/y1.jpg

Here some links to my TDI Fiero
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092218.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082918.html

Yes, that is an intercooler. Works halfgood. It needs more airflow to work properly. At normal driving it is fine, but when going at bit faster it gets a bit hot. I am planning to make some kind of scoop under the car to force air thru the intercooler. Or maybe small fans?

Daily driving, i get about 42 mpg, When driving a bit longer its easy to get to ~ 48-50 mpg.

Your Fiero was one of the first hits when I seached for diesel Fieros. The VAG 1.9 engine is a very good engine. Nice car!

PFF
System Bot
Kjell Niklasson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kjell NiklassonSend a Private Message to Kjell NiklassonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kjell Niklasson

3 posts
Member since Jan 2015

Originally posted by steve308:

Looks great! When you can - tell us about the coil over's and post pic's please.

The coilovers. It started when i needed to make the right strut tower smaller for the engine to fit. The original spring would not fit any longer. And since I plan on getting a bit better suspension anyway, i decided to get coilovers.

But there was not much to choose from that fits the Fiero. So i decided to make my own.

After a lot of measuring on different cars, i found that VW Golf III (-92 to -98) had almost the same lenght as Fiero. So I bought AVO GTX coliovers for a Golf III.

They are "upside down", which means the shock is mounted upside down. This means that it was easy to remove the shock, so i could weld in the bottom of it whitout risk of destroying the shock.

So, after removing the shock it looked like this:

Then i cut the "Golf" parts away:

Cutting the Fiero shock:

And the welding them together:

And the final result. I also changed the upper mountings. The old ones was quite bad. And since Fiero parts are not common in Sweden, i used mounting for i think it was VW Golf IV. But good original mountings would have worked also.

So, not to hard to fix, an suddenly i had high quality coilovers that fits Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Kjell Niklasson (edited 05-23-2015).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks almost to easy! Thanks for posting.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock