This should make you laugh...... by woodyhere
Started on: 05-10-2015 12:36 PM
Replies: 7 (401 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 05-11-2015 01:14 AM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 427 87 GT has been dead for a while. I have been working with the folks at FAST to solve the fuel injection problems. In the last 10 months I didn't get to far with them. I decided it had to be in their harness. The computer checked out and the programmer checked out. I checked all the fuses in their harness first. When I got to the 25 amp main fuse it checked out OK for a moment and then went dead. Hmm just like the car. Ran normal and then would just die randomly. I shook the fuse with the test leads still on and it flickered the meter. I took the harness apart and found a nice little groove in the edge of the stainless fire wall. It matched the nick in the main 10 ga. power line. The firewall edge rubbed through the harness just hitting the main power line and blew the fuse. I had slit a piece of rubber hose to keep the firewall from digging into the harness! It must have fallen off at some point. The power line moved around enough that it wasn't a dead short very often. The fuse was laying on it's side. The big hunk burned off inside the fuse would make contact from time to time and the car would run normally. The light on the computer said it was getting power at all times. I didn't, nor did the folks at FAST realize the programmer was back feeding the computer and showing it had power. I have been ranting and raving when it turned out to be totally my fault. Humble pie anyone!

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you found the root cause and its a simple fix.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:

The firewall edge rubbed through the harness just hitting the main power line and blew the fuse. I had slit a piece of rubber hose to keep the firewall from digging into the harness! It must have fallen off at some point.

Grommets are your friends. Glad you found the problem!

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So we will be seeing you at the Dells?
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reading "laugh" and fast fieros in the first line almost scared me a little bit. Loyde doesn't make me laugh very often.

Good to hear you've got it all figured out. Cheers.

------------------

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Reading "laugh" and fast fieros in the first line almost scared me a little bit. Loyde doesn't make me laugh very often.

Good to hear you've got it all figured out. Cheers.

He's talking about this:

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 05-10-2015).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's explains why he was satisfied with the customer service.
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock