Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Got rearended. Need to figure out value of the car before filing the claim.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Got rearended. Need to figure out value of the car before filing the claim. by MulletproofMonk
Started on: 04-25-2015 10:18 AM
Replies: 14 (1061 views)
Last post by: sniper69 on 09-06-2015 07:05 PM
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I got rear ended last Saturday by a GMC Acadia while I was stopped at a light (of course all it did was bend her license plate). Trying to figure out a value in case they want to total me out. I have look here: http://www.paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm but I have some upgrades over a stock car.

So I this is my car before the accident

1987 Fiero GT with 125,000 miles
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Power Mirrors

--- Engine / Trans ---
3800 N/A swap with 4T65E automatic transmission
new lower intake and valve cover gaskets
new oil pan
new water pump and gasket
new plugs and wires
transmission shift kit (TransGo)
A/C not working, need to fabricate hose

--- Exhaust ---
Custom 3800 exhaust

--- Wheels ---
After market 16" wheels with almost new tires

--- Brakes ---
Grand Am brake upgrade on all 4 corners
stainless steel hoses

--- Suspension ---
Poly bushings
Aluminum cradle bushings
Eibach Springs
KYB Struts and shocks

--- Interior ---
Firebird Seats
All interior lights upgraded to LED from Blacktop Racing (including gauges)
New GM CD Player with steering wheel controls wired in
Auto dimming mirror with compass
Homelink

--- Exterior ---
New Dew wipes
Purple paint
Some chips around the moonroof and front bumper (thanks deer)
Some clear coat burn
Original Quarter windows with spider webbing but intact
Some delam on tail lights, but unbroken

The accident has twisted my rear bumper, moved the back end in and left 1", cracked my tail lights, cracked the rear clip and moved it forward into the roof panel.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 04-25-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to post a picture of the damage to her vehicle...

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More damage to her vehicle behind plate.

The tail lights do yours in. If you don't have a stated value insurance policy, you're screwed. They'll probably value your car in the $1,500-$2,000 range. 55% of that and you're totaled. Parts alone will exceed that. They'll total yours for damage to a vehicle more than 10 years old. Their body shops likely won't touch your car. I was quoted over $15K just to repaint mine, mainly because they didn't want to touch it.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 04-25-2015).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure that insurance takes into account the upgrades. At just the cost of replacement tail lights they will total the vehicle.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2015 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:
I'm not sure that insurance takes into account the upgrades. At just the cost of replacement tail lights they will total the vehicle.
Have normal insurance... Both insurance co's won't care about paint etc. All look in NADA book, do the math, and likely total the car.

Depending on area laws, your policy, etc what insurance co is cutting a check... Most likely, One hit you insurance will be calling in a day or three and try to close the deal as fast as possible. Do Not sign anything w/o knowing what it means!

You can tell them to you won't take a Total.
If you agree and sign off on a Total, insurance Will Own it before ink dries.
"Buy it back" can cause problems in some states because you get Salvage Title. (use PFF and web search) Some States make a hard time for driving after the wreck is fixed w/ ST paper. This will void any current Registration, Tags, etc in many states.
If you live in HOA area or Town etc that restrict un-tag cars parking on driveway... they can fine you and/or tow the car. Some HOA etc are very nasty to deal with untag cars.

AFTER you get all estements and before you sign off on Total...
Pull taillights and rear fascia and look carefully at frame and other metal parts. Why? Most pic's above are "broken plastic" etc that can be fix or replace.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could tell them that you have some replacement tail lights, hopefully keeping that out of the estimate.
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Typically unless they are aware of the upgrades they won't insure you for them. We had that issue in the past and now have Hagerty for our upgraded Fiero. That said, you can use Paul's estimates to argue value against KBB value. Fiero owners have been successful doing that in the past. Some Fierophiles are also recognized appraisers and may be able to help you.

Hope you are successful - it is a tough position to be in!

~ Jen

PS - is that FieroLisa's old car?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some insurance companies will work with you IF you have reciepts and prices of some comparable cars to show them. It really dont matter what coverage you carry...she rear ended you so its on her insurance company to settle. If you dont like their offer, see what they will do if you tell them you will keep the car. NEVER accept the first offer. You can really be a prick too and demand a rental car to be paid by them until the claim is settled...just to keep them on the ball.

Remember too, you ALWAYS have the option of suing for what you consider a proper amount. Again, you will need reciepts and similar cars prices.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-27-2015).]

MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierochic88:
PS - is that FieroLisa's old car?

Got it in WV from a guy named Ron, I think he was here on the forum. Had it since 2006

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

It really dont matter what coverage you carry...she rear ended you so its on her insurance company to settle. You can really be a prick too and demand a rental car to be paid by them until the claim is settled...just to keep them on the ball.

I agree. She hit me... It was also her company's vehicle. I'm sure that she isn't going to report it... I didn't even think about getting them for a rental car. I guess that could put them out $25 or better per day...

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 04-28-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your right its FieroLisa's old car. I painted it like a dozen years ago with no flex or adhesion additives in basecoat/clearcoat. Look...amazingly the paint isnt falling off anywhere except where its wrecked...amazing We called it Violent Blue.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to the top

If I remember, the code for the new paint is on the drivers door jam. Its either in written permanent marker on the factory label, or printed out with a labelmaker. Its my normal habit to any car I paint a non oem color in case its ever damaged.
PFF
System Bot
sniper69

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper69Send a Private Message to sniper69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did this ever get resolved?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

So I got rear ended last Saturday by a GMC Acadia while I was stopped at a light (of course all it did was bend her license plate).
Trying to figure out a value in case they want to total me out.

This is why I keep telling people that have substantial money in the car to GET AN APPRAISAL before something like this happens.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
This is why I keep telling people that have substantial money in the car to GET AN APPRAISAL before something like this happens.

It wouldn't have made a difference in this case because I had a rebuilt title... and after talking with the adjuster, an appraisal may not help you. The problem is they use a system now that basically tells them the cars value based on other similar car sales in the region. It showed my car (87 GT) versus a couple 86 GT, an 87 GT, an 88 GT and even a formula. The prices ranged from $3,000-$5,500. I got an average because of the branded title, then they start deducting things like the paint chips from when I hit the deer (only $15). Then I kept the car so that lowered my payout. IF I had a stock motor, the payout would have been enough for me to walk away because I would have been even.

Originally posted by sniper69:

Did this ever get resolved?

Hey Mike. It was "sort of" resolved. They gave me some money and I kept the car. The issue was the title was a rebuilt and that lowers the value, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. They ended up giving me an average value. Still haven't resolved medical issues or anything other then the car.

I was trying to decide if I should get the car reinspected or find another chassis to move all my stuff over too...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

You can definitely see the difference in the stock ride height versus the Eibach lowering springs...
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Yesterday I got the car titled over, plates transferred and I had to replace the ignition because the PO couldn't find the keys. Today I need to install a new fuel pump and see if this stock motor runs... Then I will start working on swapping the motor over. Should be a direct swap since I am going 87 to 87... You are welcome to come over and help...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 07-19-2015).]

sniper69

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper69Send a Private Message to sniper69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Hey Mike. It was "sort of" resolved. They gave me some money and I kept the car. The issue was the title was a rebuilt and that lowers the value, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. They ended up giving me an average value. Still haven't resolved medical issues or anything other then the car.
Yesterday I got the car titled over, plates transferred and I had to replace the ignition because the PO couldn't find the keys. Today I need to install a new fuel pump and see if this stock motor runs... Then I will start working on swapping the motor over. Should be a direct swap since I am going 87 to 87... You are welcome to come over and help...

I thought I subscribed to this thread, but I guess I hadn't, so just seen this reply. Let me know if you still need help with this and I'll come over to help (you should have my number ).

[This message has been edited by sniper69 (edited 09-06-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock