Thumbs up for Dexron VI by Csjag
Started on: 04-24-2015 06:26 PM
Replies: 2 (321 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-30-2015 10:01 AM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased a small travel trailer and I am prepping my 2004 Venture van for towing. The owners manual specified Dexron III for the automatic tranny but when I checked I found out that it was superseded by Dexron VI and that is what GM dealers use anytime they do fluid changes. I picked up the trailer yesterday and had to pull it 30 miles or so in traffic and on the highway. The temperature gauge started to rise so to keep it in check I had to turn off the A/C and even run the heater at stop lights. Today I changed the fluid and filter and replaced it with the Dexron VI. I took it out on the road and drove it in traffic and on the highway with the A/C on the whole time and the temperature gauge hardly moved. I still plan on installing the Hayden tranny cooler that I bought though for further insurance. The Dexron VI is backward compatible for all older transmissions so it would probably be good to use in the Fieros that have automatics.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"The Dexron VI is backward compatible for all older transmissions so it would probably be good to use in the Fieros that have automatics."

Although Dexron VI maybe backwards compatible in some transmissions like those installed in the Fiero, it is not backwards compatible in all transmissions. The service spec for the Allison transmission in my motorhome specify Dexron III and states the new Dexron transmission fluids are not compatible. Allison has their own specification (TES 295) for synthetic ATF for their transmissions. Just read the specs before changing the fluids.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is in my cave for years... Automatic

Originally posted by ILVMYGT:
"The Dexron VI is backward compatible for all older transmissions so it would probably be good to use in the Fieros that have automatics."

Although Dexron VI maybe backwards compatible in some transmissions like those installed in the Fiero, it is not backwards compatible in all transmissions. The service spec for the Allison transmission in my motorhome specify Dexron III and states the new Dexron transmission fluids are not compatible. Allison has their own specification (TES 295) for synthetic ATF for their transmissions. Just read the specs before changing the fluids.
Yes, The statement from GM covers GM transmissions and some others. You have to check others.
Mobil 1, Valvoline and others No longer make DEXRON III only ATF. If you want/need DEXRON®-III or a MERCON®, they have "multi-brand" ATF like Mobil ATF™ D/M

Mobil ATF D/M is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:
  • GM DEXRON® IIIH transmission fluid
  • Ford MERCON® transmission fluid
  • Allison C-4 transmission fluid

• ------------------
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
    (Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock