6t80 transmission by fierofinatic84se
Started on: 04-24-2015 09:48 AM
Replies: 14 (2466 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 11-15-2021 09:41 PM
fierofinatic84se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know anything about the 6t80 Cadillac XTS transmission, I can't even find a picture of it, all I found was a small mention of its ratings on Wikipedia and that it's built on the same platform as the 6t70 and 6t75, definitely worth looking into for a v8 build, all I can find is that's it'd being coupled with the twin turbo v6
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2015 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's basically the same as the 6t70/75, but with some stronger components. It will also have the High Feature bell housing pattern that the High Feature DOHC V6 engines use. Archie's adapter plate is made for metric bell pattern transmissions, and not the HF bell pattern. It should be possible to make a custom adapter plate for the newer bell pattern though, if you wish.

While the 6t80 is rated for the higher output engine, the LF3 still only makes 369 lbs-ft of torque, so you may likely still need to get a performance build done on it, to be able to support the 570 lbs-ft you were claiming would need to be supported in your other thread. A performance build of the 6t80 might end up with the same specs for max torque that a built 6t75 would take. I'd get in contact with a couple of the shops that do performance builds of the 6t transmissions, and see what they offer for both, and what the cost difference would be.
fierofinatic84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read the thread on the ls4 with the pcs controller for the transmission and how the biggest issue wasn't torque per say but the torque management, and the transmission was still holding up, and if torque management was the biggest issue, the 6t70 and 75, I've also been doing some more research and I've found that the xts actually uses the 6t70 for the fwd version and the 6t80 is actually the awd version, from what I have found, which is why I'm not able to find much on it but if the 6t70 is holding up to that twin turbo, it should be able to hold up to the v8 with proper torque management
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofinatic84se:

I read the thread on the ls4 with the pcs controller for the transmission and how the biggest issue wasn't torque per say but the torque management, and the transmission was still holding up, and if torque management was the biggest issue, the 6t70 and 75, I've also been doing some more research and I've found that the xts actually uses the 6t70 for the fwd version and the 6t80 is actually the awd version, from what I have found, which is why I'm not able to find much on it but if the 6t70 is holding up to that twin turbo, it should be able to hold up to the v8 with proper torque management

From what I can see, the engine/trans pairings are as such:

LTG - 6t70
LFX - 6t75
LF3 - 6t80

The LFX is available in AWD or FWD. The LF3 is only avaialble with AWD. The LTG is not available in the US. The comparison page on the Cadillac web site also doesn't list the 3.16 axle ratio as available for the Premium model, which has AWD as an option, but only the 2.77 ratio, so I think the only difference in the transmissions between AWD and FWD, is that the AWD transmissions have the extra output housing added, to support a driveshaft for the rear wheels.

I expect even the 6t80 won't hold up to full abuse from the LF3 engine, with torque management fully disabled. The factory programming for the torque management tends to be conservative though, to protect the transmissions. A built trans with the torque management pulled back a bit, or all the way out, should be able to handle the power though.
fierofinatic84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, Ive Googled the 6t80 and can find hardly anything, though probably the 6t75 is sufficient once built, I found some companies that rebuild them but haven't found much as far as making them much stronger
fierofinatic84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofinatic84se

38 posts
Member since Jan 2013
Ah, I found some now, after some more in depth searching
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What info did you find on the performance rebuilds? Got any web links?

Cheers
Civil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2021 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CivilSend a Private Message to CivilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does the AWD work with the 6T80 transaxle? Is the transaxle mounted longitudinal rather than transverse, where outputs and half shafts become drive shafts to the differentials?

Originally posted by dobey:

From what I can see, the engine/trans pairings are as such:

LTG - 6t70
LFX - 6t75
LF3 - 6t80

The LFX is available in AWD or FWD. The LF3 is only avaialble with AWD. The LTG is not available in the US. The comparison page on the Cadillac web site also doesn't list the 3.16 axle ratio as available for the Premium model, which has AWD as an option, but only the 2.77 ratio, so I think the only difference in the transmissions between AWD and FWD, is that the AWD transmissions have the extra output housing added, to support a driveshaft for the rear wheels.

I expect even the 6t80 won't hold up to full abuse from the LF3 engine, with torque management fully disabled. The factory programming for the torque management tends to be conservative though, to protect the transmissions. A built trans with the torque management pulled back a bit, or all the way out, should be able to handle the power though.

[This message has been edited by Civil (edited 11-02-2021).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2021 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big and heavy
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If someone is looking to do an LF3 swap with the 6T80 transmission, it sounds great . but it won't fit in the available space in the Fiero engine compartment. The trans is large, heavy and the engine with twin turbos takes up a lot of space.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Civil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CivilSend a Private Message to CivilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fitment is not an issue for my build. I am curious of how the AWD works with the transaxle. Isn't this a transverse transaxle? So how does the transaxle shafts connect to the front and rear wheels?

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

If someone is looking to do an LF3 swap with the 6T80 transmission, it sounds great . but it won't fit in the available space in the Fiero engine compartment. The trans is large, heavy and the engine with twin turbos takes up a lot of space.

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Civil:

Fitment is not an issue for my build. I am curious of how the AWD works with the transaxle. Isn't this a transverse transaxle? So how does the transaxle shafts connect to the front and rear wheels?

The transmission has an external differential on the output shaft of the transmission, passenger side. This differential sends a drive shaft to the rear wheels (in the case of the Fiero that would be your rear bumper). All wheel drive in a Fiero is a bit more tricky than a front wheel drive. The extra differential regulates differences in front wheel speed vrs rear wheel speed. This is needed to prevent scuffing. An all wheel drive car requires 3 differentials. In the transverse transmission two of the differentials are on the transmission. It is large.
But this same type of all wheel drive system is also in F40 6 speed manuals as well in the Saab and other applications.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 11-02-2021).]

Civil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CivilSend a Private Message to CivilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the differential / transfer case only for the 6T80? If not, are they rated the same, or is the 6T80 differential / transfer case rated higher?

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

The transmission has an external differential on the output shaft of the transmission, passenger side. This differential sends a drive shaft to the rear wheels (in the case of the Fiero that would be your rear bumper). All wheel drive in a Fiero is a bit more tricky than a front wheel drive. The extra differential regulates differences in front wheel speed vrs rear wheel speed. This is needed to prevent scuffing. An all wheel drive car requires 3 differentials. In the transverse transmission two of the differentials are on the transmission. It is large.
But this same type of all wheel drive system is also in F40 6 speed manuals as well in the Saab and other applications.

[This message has been edited by Civil (edited 11-02-2021).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2021 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Civil:

Is the differential / transfer case only for the 6T80? If not, are they rated the same, or is the 6T80 differential / transfer case rated higher?

I don't know.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
think of your normal FWD trans except that one side has a kind of "T" where the drive axle is connected to a 90 deg output. The drivers side is normal, coming out of the FWD trans and on the other side, where the "half shaft" would be the front/rear diff is bolted on. The pass side axle attaches to the diff and then the rear is "T" off of it headed to the back of the car just like a RWD would do.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock