Glassing In GT Sail Panel Opening by pdemondo
Started on: 04-22-2015 10:28 PM
Replies: 24 (600 views)
Last post by: litespd on 04-30-2015 07:14 PM
pdemondo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instead of replacing the fastback sail panels, has anyone ever glassed (SMC) the sail panel area and then paint it like the rest of the clip?
If so, do you have any pictures?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pdemondo:

Instead of replacing the fastback sail panels, has anyone ever glassed (SMC) the sail panel area and then paint it like the rest of the clip?

I wouldn't want the blind spot that would create.
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I wouldn't want the blind spot that would create.

That is a good point. I was going to add a rear view camera anyway. The GT doesn't have very great visibility anyway. I am going to cover
up the sail panels and see how much that affects visibility.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2015 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If so, do you have any pictures?

There are scoops that are just fiberglass and replace the sail panels. Some of them have smaller lexan windows in them, but plenty are just all fiberglass with no windows, as well.

The blind spot isn't that bad if you've got the mirrors adjusted correctly. Certainly not as bad as driving a full size work van or similar.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

There are scoops that are just fiberglass and replace the sail panels. Some of them have smaller lexan windows in them, but plenty are just all fiberglass with no windows, as well.

The blind spot isn't that bad if you've got the mirrors adjusted correctly. Certainly not as bad as driving a full size work van or similar.

Mirrors (or backup camera) don't help if you are backing out of a parking spot with larger vehicles on either side - without the see through panel, there is a large void in this area where you can't see squat. Just saying...
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is another option, get a fiberglass panel with a window or louvers in it. I could bolt that from behind to make sure it does not blow off. That head of the bolt can be
glassed in the sail panel then drill the holes in the clip to attach.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
Mirrors (or backup camera) don't help if you are backing out of a parking spot with larger vehicles on either side - without the see through panel, there is a large void in this area where you can't see squat. Just saying...

Having the windows there doesn't necessarily help with that either. Pickup truck beds are still opaque.

Some people may certainly have problems with it, or be more concerned about such situations, but I'll maintain that it's not worse than driving a large vehicle where you can't see out the rear sides. Probably not as bad as a Countach either.

You could also convert to the notchback sails too, if you really wanted, as a very few have done having the fastback decklid/tails/bumper with the notchback sails.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You could also convert to the notchback sails too, if you really wanted, as a very few have done having the fastback decklid/tails/bumper with the notchback sails.

Got a pic of that? Never heard of it being done (not saying that it hasn't).

pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:
Got a pic of that? Never heard of it being done (not saying that it hasn't).

Here's one from the thread that pdemondo linked:

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one of my old GT's had scoops glassed into the fastback section. looked pretty good
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I find the notchback sails DO have a more prominent blind spot compared to the Fastback sail panels. Oh and converting to GT tail lights add a new problem for nearly impossible to get lenses.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's one from the thread that pdemondo linked...

Why anyone would want to use fastback tail lights on a notchie is a mystery to me. Not only are fastback tail lights much more difficult to find... but IMO they're ugly as hwell.

There, I said it... fastback tail lights are ugly. I've been wanting to say that here for the last 16 years.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why anyone would want to use fastback tail lights on a notchie is a mystery to me. Not only are fastback tail lights much more difficult to find... but IMO they're ugly as hwell.

There, I said it... fastback tail lights are ugly. I've been wanting to say that here for the last 16 years.

I don't know about that Patrick. I am pretty sure you said that when I did my nochie with Gt tail lights about 9 years ago.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

I don't know about that Patrick. I am pretty sure you said that when I did my nochie with Gt tail lights about 9 years ago.

I might be getting old and forgetful, but at least I'm consistent.

pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

That looks REALLY GOOD!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That looks REALLY GOOD!!

Yeah, I've got to agree... looks great. The big question though... Is that real or photoshopped?
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I've got to agree... looks great. The big question though... Is that real or photoshopped?

Its real. It was at Fierorama in 2010. A local NIFE member, he spoke at one of our meetings and there was a write up on it in FieroFocus magazine.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its real. It was at Fierorama in 2010.

Thanks Fred. Are there any more pictures of it? I'd like to see a shot taken directly from the side with the decklid closed.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
found this one googling Fierorama 2010, will see what I have on my computer when I get home.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...will see what I have on my computer when I get home.

That would be great, thanks!

The treatment of the fastback reminds me a lot of the Enterra Vipre, although I have to admit I kind of like the addition of the notchie sail panels.

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

will see what I have on my computer when I get home.

no luck sorry, just the same pictures already posted.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no luck sorry, just the same pictures already posted.

Well dammit Fred, I'm going to have to neg you! (Just kidding, thanks for posting what you did.)

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock