Started on: 04-19-2015 08:07 AM
Replies: 8 (393 views)
Last post by: skitime on 04-27-2015 12:52 PM
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My old GT is of sale at the salvage auction this coming Wednesday. It is mechanically sound with only 60K miles on it. It could be restored. I am assuming all the interior is going to be sold with it. The wheels are brand new and the t-tops were fitted later in its life, so although 1 t-top is smashed the seals are like new. It will probably go really cheap.

[URL=http://www.manheim.com.au/damaged-vehicles/4405537/1988-pontiac-fiero-v6-fastback-gt-coupé-performance?referringPage=SearchResults
]My Old GT[/URL]

------------------
Jade Web Design
˙ʇsǝɹ ǝɥʇ pǝʇsɐʍ ı ssǝnƃ ı ˙loɥoɔlɐ puɐ uǝɯoʍ ʇsɐɟ `sɹɐɔ ʇsɐɟ uo ʎǝuoɯ ʎɯ ɟo %08 ʇuǝds ı ƃunoʎ sɐʍ ı uǝɥʍ

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 04-19-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you put that car in the 88 database? (thread is 88 database guy) There is a lot to repair on that car. I am thinking it will get parted out. what trans does it have?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened to it? I'm having trouble seeing what happened. Did a tree fall on it or something? Damage looks minor, why are you not repairing it? Was it a stupid insurance company that totaled it over some minor damage?
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is not a CBJ car. Even though it is the correct kit the new roof kit was fitted to it in about 1998. It has been garage ever since and the t-top seals are like brand new.

Well what happened. A long story

I had just finished mowing my lawn and my back was a little sore. I had my garage open ready to take my daughters Peugeot in to give it a service. I had it parked across the road while doing the lawn.

As I came up the start of my driveway I had a sever muscle spasm pain shoot down my right side from the back pain that made my right foot shoot out straight, flooring the car and going into the Pontiac in the garage at about 35kmh.

The Fiero was on floor wheel trolleys so it was basically a big roller skate. When I hit it, it shot backwards taking out all my heavy duty metal shelving behind it and it pushed the brick wall between the garage and family room at an angle which shook the rafters.

Result of the carnage:
Peugeot totalled due to severe front damage and a cracked sump, and various other engine damage.
Me trapped in Peugeot with back and neck injuries. Had 3 fire brigades, 2 ambulances and a police car there. The fire brigade rescue guys disassembled the Peugeot to get me out.
Fiero had damage from the front hit, rear hit and from parts stored in the rafters raining down on it.

After the dust settled it was a $30,000+ experience.

Fiero needs:
Front fascia
Front reinforcing bar
Rear fascia
Rear reinforcing bar
Exhaust system is bent
Rear clip is cracked in a few places and has a chunk missing from it
Every panel copped paint damage from debris
Both rear tail lights are smashed
Windshield broken by a torque convertor landing on it.
Right hand t-top glass broken by debris as well.
Right hand fastback window scratched from debris.
Right hand beechwood leather seat torn in a few places

Due to parts availability in Australia it was easier to total it than repair it.
It could make a good base for a kit car or great parts car for an 88 owner or someone wanting to convert to 88 suspension.
The interior pics look bad because the interior was out of the car.

So now I have a worse back than I had before it is time to get out of Fieros and get a car I can get into easier. Have my eye on a few contenders including a 2nd gen Trans Am, a 2nd gen Camaro and one I have found really cheap is a 2001 Cadillac STS. Thinking of buying it as a daily and doing something I have always wanted to do and build a hot rod.

I am up in the air at the moment as to what to do.

[This message has been edited by AusFiero (edited 04-19-2015).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a lot of damage to the Fiero, but I probably have all the parts to repair it somewhere on my property. Too bad it's in Australia. If it was in Texas I would be obliged to fix it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully the insurance was able to make you whole again?

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh dude Aus, that's rough! I don't know what to say, that's a pretty terrible situation to end up in. I know the feeling about inevitable writing off even though the damage isn't extreme, I fear my '86 is going to be called toast too

Sad day for Australasian Fieros all around.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it got passed in at auction with a $2K reserve. Jump on it Aussie Fiero guys. You could probably get it for $1500. The wheels and tyres are new and worth $1800 alone.

I have been whittling down my replacement options and was looking at old USA or Aussie muscle then finally realised today I bought my first Fiero because it was a not that old sports car. SO I have narrowed replacement down to a Porsche Boxster, BMW z4 or Mercedes SLK. Looks like I like German.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Well it got passed in at auction with a $2K reserve. Jump on it Aussie Fiero guys. You could probably get it for $1500. The wheels and tyres are new and worth $1800 alone.

I have been whittling down my replacement options and was looking at old USA or Aussie muscle then finally realised today I bought my first Fiero because it was a not that old sports car. SO I have narrowed replacement down to a Porsche Boxster, BMW z4 or Mercedes SLK. Looks like I like German.

I've been doing the same. If they total out my '86 I'm honestly thinking I will get a C4 Corvette. It's the car that at times has been fingered as half the reason the Fiero got killed off, and it really is the big cousin. That or a Trans Am I suppose... unfortunately the Boxster is still a little out of budget over here unless you want a reeeeeally old one.

$1500 for that '88 would be extremely good buying for a project, compliance and shipping would kill getting it to New Zealand though.
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, Sorry to hear about this. Hope you are feeling much better. I now have a Mercedes SLK 350. Sweet sports car but is not as fast as my Fiero was but the suspension and brakes are awesome and it is sure nice to have a retractable hardtop on warm days. I could tweak the power but Vonnie want me to keep it stock. Same dilemma when we both had Fieros. Hers was stock and my was changed a little bit.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock