Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Cut cigarette lighter power when ignition is off?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Cut cigarette lighter power when ignition is off? by rednotdead
Started on: 04-06-2015 05:44 AM
Replies: 18 (2331 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 04-23-2015 11:33 PM
rednotdead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought maybe this would be a topic previously discussed, but didn't see anything in the search. Is there a way to disable current to the cigarette lighter when the car is off? Ive read around and it seems some cars have the option already setup on the fuse box. Im buying a dash cam and it would be convenient not to have to unplug it each time I park.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lighter socket receives power via a splice which feeds multiple circuits through the battery fuse so there isn't a way to change anything in the fuse box to make it power down with the key. You could add a relay to the power wire and switch the relay on and off with wire from a source that has power only when the key is on.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Add another socket only w/ key on. Adding a socket near the camera etc is easy and small items handles 1-2 Amps max...

Lighter socket and whatever kills power must handle lighter amps, 10+ Amps. Switches/relays should handle 20A DC because they can fry if use w/ a lighter.

2. Having anything plugin to lighter etc and parked is a good way to get smash and grab problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-06-2015).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have another suggestion. Hard wire the camera, with an inline fuse. There are 2 connectors at the bottom left of the Fiero Fuse Block that have power only while the ignition is on:
Marked "IGN" in the below diagram.

All you need is one of these to plug into the fuse block, and it can be easily unplugged at any time:

Run the power from there, up behind the A-Pillar to the center of the window, and mount your camera behind the rear view mirror. This will give a nice clean look. I just did this same thing a couple of weeks ago when I installed a self dimming / Compass rear view mirror in my car.

If this was something that was in the car that you would take in and out frequently, a plug would be fine. A dash cam however is usually left in the car at all times, and activates when you start the car. Hard wiring it, in my opinion, It is far better than having a permanent wire going from the cigarette lighter plug to the window, dangling over the shifter, radio and such

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-06-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just hardwire the camera in to an accessory wire in the dash. If you need to remove it, and it dont unplug at the camera end, just install a miniature male and female connector in the wire you can pick up at any electronics store. When I used to use radar detectors, I hardwired them in and mounted them at the very top of the glass behind the dark tint so thieves didnt easily spot it. If I needed to remove it, the cord unpluged right on the unit.
seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a Mini 0805, which has a removable mount. I bought a spare mount, so I can switch the camera between cars as needed. So far I've only wired my Cobalt, but am going to take a similar approach to the Fiero. My goal with both cars is to have removable modifications, and to avoid splicing and mucking with important wires. I also wanted to keep things similar between the two cars, because I only have so much space in my brain.

I bought one of 12V + USB adapters (hopefully that ebay link works...). It's waterproof for motorcycles, but the main reason I bought it is it has it's own switch. For the cobalt, I mounted it in the glove compartment. The Fiero will be under the dash "somewhere". It has an in-line 10A fuse, and two terminals to connect directly to a motorcycle battery.

I used the ground terminal to ground on the car, but chopped off the hot to replace the terminal. In the cobalt, I used an add-a-fuse on the sunroof fuse slot (which is ignition controlled). This powers my bluetooth (has it's own 12v adapter), my camera (via usb), and has a free USB port in case I need to charge my phone. In the Fiero, I'll be using a spade connector to one of the existing IGN leads that JohnWPB mentioned.

I actually cut the included 10A fuse off with the lead, since in the cobalt, the add-a-fuse has a 10A fuse on (not sure if multiple fuses in series would cause a problem, but it seems silly and unnecessary). I believe the IGN connector on the Fiero is fused already, but double check with your manual first (I'm not an authoritative reference).

theogre is right about visible electronics, though. I picked the 0805 because it's removable (if I feel like it), but also because it's very tiny and blends in to the mirror. Other than that, there is no visible indication in my car.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great and detailed responses everyone - Ill be looking through them a bit more carefully when I get off work.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if any accessory manufacturer has come up with a recording camera thats built into the inside rearview mirror ? I know there are ones with screens for backup cameras, even television, built into the glass of the mirror.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I wonder if any accessory manufacturer has come up with a recording camera thats built into the inside rearview mirror ? I know there are ones with screens for backup cameras, even television, built into the glass of the mirror.

They have, I saw a test of several of them on that other "British Car Show - 5th Gear". They had two or three diff models, and seamed to work ok.

Rob
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I have another suggestion. Hard wire the camera, with an inline fuse. There are 2 connectors at the bottom left of the Fiero Fuse Block that have power only while the ignition is on:
Marked "IGN" in the below diagram.

All you need is one of these to plug into the fuse block, and it can be easily unplugged at any time:

Are the two IGN connectors normally in use for something else? Partially asking just out of curiosity.

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rednotdead:

Are the two IGN connectors normally in use for something else? Partially asking just out of curiosity.

Not that I am aware of, they were both empty on my car. I crimped a blade connector on the end of my wire, and and ran the other end to my self dimming / compass mirror. There are terminals labeled BAT that constantly have 12v. I used one of those for my 12v RFID fuel door popper.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-21-2015).]

seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I wired in my plug, using the IGN socket and a spade connector. I had trouble finding a good ground, though. There is a lot of plastic, and I was getting fed up crawling around by that point. Can anybody suggest a good place to ground?

In the mean time, I've just grounded it on my radio. Maybe not ideal, but it works (and maybe also eliminates the need for a ground-loop isolation. I guess we'll see...)

------------------
--
Seq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:

So I wired in my plug, using the IGN socket and a spade connector. I had trouble finding a good ground, though. There is a lot of plastic, and I was getting fed up crawling around by that point. Can anybody suggest a good place to ground?

In the mean time, I've just grounded it on my radio. Maybe not ideal, but it works (and maybe also eliminates the need for a ground-loop isolation. I guess we'll see...)

Theres roof metal if you remove the dome light fixture. Its just 4 screws, some are torx head.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-21-2015).]

seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Theres roof metal if you remove the dome light fixture. Its just 4 screws, some are torx head.

True, but that's nowhere near the footwell where the rest of the wiring is

------------------
--
Seq

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to mention, that when I ran my wiring for the dimming rear view mirror, I ran a single wire down the A pillar for the +12v, and a short lead to one of the screws that 2.5 mentioned on the dome light.

In the case of your camera, I would imagine the wires are ran in a coated pair. The easiest way to get a ground in that area is to lift the corner of the carpeting, and just use a self tapping screw into the front fire wall.
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:In the case of your camera, I would imagine the wires are ran in a coated pair.

I wired a new 12V + 5V USB adapter under the dash, so it's a regular USB cable run up to the camera.

Originally posted by JohnWPB:The easiest way to get a ground in that area is to lift the corner of the carpeting, and just use a self tapping screw into the front fire wall.

When I wired in my cobalt, there were a number of metal connections to the body I could take advantage of. I was hoping to avoid making a new one, but I suppose I'll have to go that route.

Thanks,

------------------
--
Seq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:

True, but that's nowhere near the footwell where the rest of the wiring is

Oh, I thought he was mounting it behind the mirror and could ground it there, (like John WPB did)
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Just a matter of time before the Insurance Industry Lobby makes this mandatory with the video going into an encrypted black box that you can't access, but the police can.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock