Quick Projects? by Oolab1
Started on: 04-05-2015 06:41 PM
Replies: 6 (250 views)
Last post by: zmcdonal on 04-07-2015 10:32 PM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey so summer is coming up fast and with it comes Fiero season! My girlfriend wants to spend time with me working on my car and learning about it and how to drive it (it's manual of course), which I can't complain about seeing as it would be spending time with two of my favorite things, and I am willing to help her learn and everything, but.... I have no idea what to do!

The car is in pretty good condition for the $200 which I paid, but now that the sticker-shock is over I'm beginning to really see all the work that it could really use. The good news is that I got offered a full ride to University of Kentucky (including the full out-of-state tuition, room-and-board, meal plans, plus a $1000 a year stipend, free I-Pad, and $2000 for study abroad, along with first choice for scheduling and the best dorms available!) so I think that I pretty much have what a teenager such as myself would refer to as an unlimited budget with whatever I earn this summer.

What I would appreciate is any suggestions on somewhat quick, reasonably cheap, and acceptably simple project ideas to occupy my time. Although single-day ideas are preferred, I live close enough to my job that I could walk for a day or two if need be. There is no need for any detailed instructions on how to accomplish any suggestions, I can look up the details of each myself, but I would like a list of anything fun the more experienced people do beyond the boring repainting, cleaning, or headlight motor rebuilding that I have already done before.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a post!

Do you play basketball?

You paid $200 for a Fiero and you can't decide what needs fixing??? It's worth more than that in scrap!

Expect her interest to wane if you ever get married.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WELL to be honest I already have some stuff lined up, like the belt needs changing and the tilt column needs tightening and I should probably look into adjusting the clutch a bit... I just figured since I'm not as experienced there's probably things other people would think of that I haven't.

No haha I run cross country. But they give all that to anyone who is a National Merit Finalist (based on SAT scores) no matter what else you got going for you so that's that.

Yeah haha I KNOW it's worth more in scrap but the previous owner, with whom I'm very close with his son and spend more time at their house then I do at my own, took immaculate care of it and it's in pretty good shape still actually! Either way it's a first car and it's shown me how much I love cars and automotive stuff and is what has prompted me to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering with the goal of automotive engineering. Plus it's really fun and everyone in town knows it so it's worth a lot more than that to me.

And yeah I know she actually doesn't care. But don't tell her that! Just lemme enjoy it while it lasts haha
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

That is one of the funniest, and truest, things I've ever read on this forum.
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The suspension is a pretty good place to start, and generally doesn't take more than an afternoon for most procedures. Swapping the shocks and struts is a one-afternoon project that isn't too difficult, as is swapping the stock bushings out with poly. Installing a new stereo unit and speakers (if the previous owner hasn't already) is also an easy project to tackle on a free weekend. As a fellow college student, I'd recommend saving just a little bit of that summer money for the school year and/or spring break

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

What a post!

Do you play basketball?

You paid $200 for a Fiero and you can't decide what needs fixing??? It's worth more than that in scrap!

Scrap was 86 dollars a ton the last time I called approx a month ago. It may not be worth more in scrap.

Change, brake lines, hoses, plugs, cap, button, and wires, air filter, fuel filter, oil, coolant.

[This message has been edited by dennis_6 (edited 04-07-2015).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to post some pictures.

I would agree with suspension, stereo, tune-up/regular maintenance stuff.

Maybe lower it, pretty easy to do if you're doing anything else with the suspension and can really help the overall look of the car.

Adding a rear swaybar can be done in an afternoon and make a very noticeable improvement on handling.

Maybe fixing any interior issues such as headliner, or warped plastics on the dash.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock