Child seat?? by pHoOl
Started on: 04-05-2015 02:37 PM
Replies: 5 (240 views)
Last post by: pHoOl on 04-05-2015 08:41 PM
pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought I'd check here. My son is 2, and in a forward facing child seat. I've found how to loop the seat belt through on the seat per the directions. However, I can't seem to lock the seatbelt like I can on my Saturn. On the saturn, you pull it all the way out, and then let it back in... all the while it's locked.

I checked the Fiero owners manual, and it didn't seem to say anything about how to lock the seatbelt with a child seat. Any ideas? I know that the belt should lock in an accident, but I'd feel much better on father son cruises if it was locked to start with.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC the seat belt locks when there is a rapid change in direction; the mechanism that locks when it detects rapid deceleration or a sudden jerk that would occur in a collision. For a child's seat, I am not so sure, but I would assume that they tested it with modern seat belts that lock when you simply pull on them a little too hard.

I would call the seat manufacturer and ask them what to do, and if it would still be safe for use.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't have a picture so I need to ask.......you have a forward facing unit and the child is small enough that you have a seat with the built in 5 point harness. The child seat should have the LATCH straps that connect to most newer cars specifically for car seats. There should be a top tether strap. Where is that tether strap mounted?
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an older car. You need an "H" clip like this:

You connect the lap part of the belt with the shoulder part of the belt and it's tight.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pcgold:

It's an older car. You need an "H" clip

You connect the lap part of the belt with the shoulder part of the belt and it's tight.

That's exactly what you need.

Also here is how to install the top anchor if you want:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-05-2015).]

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah our main transport is a newish f150, which has the latch system. My beater saturn doesnt seem to and obviously the fiero doesnt. Ill see if we have one of those H shaped clips.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock