Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone ever design/build their own body?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone ever design/build their own body? by john-t-b
Started on: 03-23-2015 07:21 AM
Replies: 16 (461 views)
Last post by: john-t-b on 03-26-2015 06:02 AM
john-t-b

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. New to site so if this is the wrong area to ask sorry.

I picked up an 86 GT. Always wanted this car 29 years of patients and I have my dream car. Well almost. I want the Lamborghini Countach body but not likely to happen. So I have been thinking why not design/build my own body and have a true "one of a kind".

Has anyone here ever done this? Any tips/tricks?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! There are many threads on this site that describe re-body projects. Some are minor, and some are so big, we are still waiting for completion. Spend some time with the SEARCH function, and be sure to include the archives. Here is a suggested search item.... Car-Lo

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-23-2015).]

Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also include:
Plasma
Mad curl
DL10
RCR
Mark Towle
Bozzie
bubbajoexxx
john-t-b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.
I'll try my search differently.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
other than the interior, this one looks sharp:

http://providence.craigslis.../cto/4883706724.html
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john-t-b:

OK. New to site so if this is the wrong area to ask sorry.

I picked up an 86 GT. Always wanted this car 29 years of patients and I have my dream car. Well almost. I want the Lamborghini Countach body but not likely to happen. So I have been thinking why not design/build my own body and have a true "one of a kind".

I would like you to consider not going the kit car route. Think about it, you have one of only a handful American mid engined cars ever made. It still looks good all these years later. If you make it a kit car, it will be not quite a Lambo, nor will it ever be a quite a Fiero.
If you do go kit car, please give me all the GT body panels.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have designed a re-active body for Barbie that I have not YET produced...too many other projects I have been finishing up 1st:
Stage one - Standard mode:

Stage two re-active mode:

Red lines are the pivot rods that will be powered by high speed actuator motors and controlled by Raspberry Pi.

They will be interactive like the rear Porsche wing and such.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john-t-b:
So I have been thinking why not design/build my own body and have a true "one of a kind".

Alot of good stuff in the contruction zone
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...&number=3&LastLogin=

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-24-2015).]

john-t-b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again to all for the input.

Been looking through these and they are really cool.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tons of great builds and builders, from mild to wild

I myself got into fieros initially because I wanted a countach kit car. I figured I better learn about the donor car since that's essentially what I'd be driving. Ended up just enjoying it for what it is Part of me still wants to do a countach-inspired body someday. I've got plenty of designs but nothing ever built... yet
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally I don't mind kit cars, I appreciate the weirder ones that were designed to be somebody's dream car, however I do not understand replicas... At all. Its a Fiero guys, you might fool people from 20' away, but thats all. Countache's can't be that pricy now a days anyway. I'd rather have a fast Fiero. People will poke fun, but then you bloor their doors off and its not a little Fiero anymore, you get respect, and everyone digs it. A fake Ferrari looks cool until you get close, then you get made fun of... Ultimate sign of "compensating". I went to a car show where a guy rolled in with his "Countache" he had tons of people taking pictures with it, and he was yucking it all up... It just didn't look right, as I got closer I could see the bad body gaps, and then I saw it.. The Fiero gauge pod... I told him "Nice Fiero" He just dropped his head and looked sad.... Later he had his decklid popped and there was the 2.8 with "Lamborghini" engraved over 'Fiero" on the plenum.. Pshh.

Back on subject, I encourage you to do your own thing, make it cool! Any replica just looks weird, but a wide body Fiero looks very sick!

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

[This message has been edited by IanT720 (edited 03-23-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
john-t-b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

Personally I don't mind kit cars, I appreciate the weirder ones that were designed to be somebody's dream car, however I do not understand replicas... At all. Its a Fiero guys, you might fool people from 20' away, but thats all. Countache's can't be that pricy now a days anyway. I'd rather have a fast Fiero. People will poke fun, but then you bloor their doors off and its not a little Fiero anymore, you get respect, and everyone digs it. A fake Ferrari looks cool until you get close, then you get made fun of... Ultimate sign of "compensating". I went to a car show where a guy rolled in with his "Countache" he had tons of people taking pictures with it, and he was yucking it all up... It just didn't look right, as I got closer I could see the bad body gaps, and then I saw it.. The Fiero gauge pod... I told him "Nice Fiero" He just dropped his head and looked sad.... Later he had his decklid popped and there was the 2.8 with "Lamborghini" engraved over 'Fiero" on the plenum.. Pshh.

Back on subject, I encourage you to do your own thing, make it cool! Any replica just looks weird, but a wide body Fiero looks very sick!

I agree somewhat.
A Lamborghini is a Lamborghini and Fiero is a Fiero. I wish the price of a real Countach went down but it seems to be the opposite.
To me it's the look.

I am going more towards my own design after seeing some these projects on here, amazing. I'm actually thinking of picking up another one just to make what I want and keep the GT as is. That's going to be a tough sell to the wife though. We'll see.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness. I bought my Fiero to do a F355, then plans changed. Started creating a custom Fiero, then plans changed. Now building a custom 308.

Keep your eyes open, you may find a Countach body, there have been several for sale, and EVMRob makes them new.

Good luck...

Bob

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/076365-5.html

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum, its good to see another Marion County member.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want do a Lamborghini kit car, then don't let others tell you otherwise! It's your car, not theirs. Build what makes you happy! Having said that...be aware that only 3% of kit cars builds ever get finished. Not a good stat. Most people are not aware of the extreme investment in time, skill and money that is required.

I'm currently building an Aventador kit car. I won't say "replica" since I reserve the right to use some poetic license when I feel like it. Don't worry...I won't keep the Fiero gauge pod
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree ^^^^

Just get an idea of some of the time involved: most likely all the bushings, shocks and plenty of simple stuff need replaced. Try your hand at all that first to see how much time and money that simple stuff takes especially if you have never done any of it before. Because being married and kids, if any, you find yourself glancing over at the car while you head out to do the family things (I am not complaining.... Allot anyway ) . Plus weight in the fact that there isn't hardly any instant gratification of a spectacular looking car yet, other than completing one of the task. I think today's society gets with most purchases or wants allot of instant gratification and that is why so many give up on their build. I have to step back from time to time and remind myself it's not going to happen fast.
john-t-b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

If you want do a Lamborghini kit car, then don't let others tell you otherwise! It's your car, not theirs. Build what makes you happy! Having said that...be aware that only 3% of kit cars builds ever get finished. Not a good stat. Most people are not aware of the extreme investment in time, skill and money that is required.

I'm currently building an Aventador kit car. I won't say "replica" since I reserve the right to use some poetic license when I feel like it. Don't worry...I won't keep the Fiero gauge pod

Thanks. I do what I want when it comes to things like this. I understand the time and money involved (at least I think so as of now) and that why I've been thinking of getting another one so I can keep one on the road.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock