Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fiero Store SI valves highly recommended!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero Store SI valves highly recommended! by lou_dias
Started on: 03-20-2015 02:53 PM
Replies: 9 (436 views)
Last post by: sleek fiero on 09-14-2023 04:51 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Valves I purchased around 2002 or 2003 didn't have this feature but since then, the valve stem is narrowed to about 1" up from the bottom of the valve to increase air flow over stock valves. Highly recommended for anyone into upping the performance of their iron head engines... While I learned this was a performance benefit over the past year or so, I didn't know the SI valves came this way already since I have had them direct-shipped to my machinist the last few times I've rebuilt motors.

Sorry for the fuzzy video, my phone's video recording isn't that great but I think you can see the difference.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2023 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Valves I purchased around 2002 or 2003 didn't have this feature but since then, the valve stem is narrowed to about 1" up from the bottom of the valve to increase air flow over stock valves. Highly recommended for anyone into upping the performance of their iron head engines... While I learned this was a performance benefit over the past year or so, I didn't know the SI valves came this way already since I have had them direct-shipped to my machinist the last few times I've rebuilt motors.

Sorry for the fuzzy video, my phone's video recording isn't that great but I think you can see the difference.

Lou... have you had a lot of good experience with these valves? Did you have any issue with them at all? I think you said you've already since replaced them with Titanium, but just curious if these worked well for you...

Thanks!
sleek fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2023 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are the valves I used in my stroker 3.2. Absolutely no problems with them. sleek
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2023 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleek fiero:

These are the valves I used in my stroker 3.2. Absolutely no problems with them. sleek

Nice! How did you like the 3.2 stroker? I think part of what I give up with the 3.4 that I'm building is redline. I know the 2.8 operated at slightly higher rpms, and the 3.1 stroker kit, for the most part, maintained that. My 3.2 stroker kit worked really well, but I put it all together when I was basically still a kid... not even 22... and I did everything wrong. I didn't even balance the rotating assembly. And I also didn't use Lock-Tite on the converter to flexplate bolts... so they eventually backed at and created a rattle at everything except acceleration... I eventually took the car off the street and started restoring it, and then (now), years later... I'm quasi getting back to it and trying to build a totally stock-looking engine while getting the most reasonable power from it I can. My goal is about 180hp, and 225 ft-lbs of torque from my 3.4 and 5-Speed getrag. I think it's reasonable... but we'll see. That's a solid 15-20 more HP than what I would be getting if I was JUST swapping short blocks.

I've done a few things over the years... including hogging out the exhaust manifolds, going to 2" exhaust with a ceramic coated and mandrel-bent Y-Pipe, hotter coil, larger throttle body and port-matched intake plenum (though still bottle-becked), as well as port-matching everything up to the cyl heads. I also did a few other things... little silly odds and ends like knocking out the air separator / baffle, things like that.

I plan to extrude-hone the plenum through the runners and the lower intake manifold... which I know will be pricey, but I really want to get improved flow, and get a little bit less restriction out of plenum. I'm not sure I want to really cut into it as I kind of want to keep it mostly original looking.

I'll also be swapping in an old Crane Cam that I bought like 2 decades ago that's sitting in storage. So we'll see... I forget even what cam I bought... ah yes... the H272 Crane Cam, along with a set of 1.52:1 roller rockers. I used the roller rockers for a long time, and didn't have any issues... but I probably didn't ever achieve (or need to) achieve the RPMs that Lou and others see with their engines. I'll probably buy a new set just so it's all well broken in.

I'm hoping / thinking that with the new ECM and EGR delete, that I can probably see ~180hp.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these valves still available somewheres?
I thought TFS didn’t have these anymore.
Myself, would like to have a set for my next 2.8 rebuild project.

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Are these valves still available somewheres?
I thought TFS didn’t have these anymore.
Myself, would like to have a set for my next 2.8 rebuild project.

Thanks,

The Fiero Store doesn't offer them anymore, and they aren't made anymore... but there are a few sets out there on the internet. That said, the price is cost-prohibitive. They're pretty outrageous. But I wanted the best 3.4 stock looking block I could get, and ARI still has a few sets of heads that they've put together with these valves... so I considered it worth it.

I think though that if you really want a set of these valves, you're probably better off having a custom set made for your engine.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
ah yes... the H272 Crane Cam, along with a set of 1.52:1 roller rockers.

Be careful what springs you use. I believe the 272 will "coil bind" a lot of common V6 springs. I had to have my spring seats machined out a bit. But that was ~20 years ago. Probably lots better springs around, now.
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Todd. I love my stroker engine. Just remember you cannot use the flywheel or harmonic balancer off of your 2.8 on your new engine. 2.8 is external balanced and 3.1 and 3.4 are internal balanced. sleek
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleek fiero:

Hi Todd. I love my stroker engine. Just remember you cannot use the flywheel or harmonic balancer off of your 2.8 on your new engine. 2.8 is external balanced and 3.1 and 3.4 are internal balanced. sleek

Yeah, I had to get a new flywheel for my stroker engine that's in there right now. But I'm wondering if I should go with something better, like the Fidanza or something. Well, I guess I need to anyway because I'm converting it from an automatic to a manual transmission anyway.

What kind of fuel economy were you getting with your stroker? Just curious... probably not great I assume since you drive it for fun. But if you've ever taken it on a road trip, I'm curious what you're getting?

Thanks Sleek!
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2023 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Todd . yes i don't pay attention to my fuel milage. But I go about 300 miles /10 US gallons or 400 KMS /40 liters. not great but not bad for 52 lb injectors. And I don't drive in town much. It's a highway burning machine --Loves 100 mph plus. Hahaha sleek

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock