Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Thought I'd try a new route to raise money to get my '88 GT back to her former glory

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Thought I'd try a new route to raise money to get my '88 GT back to her former glory by SillyImportRacer
Started on: 03-09-2015 10:10 PM
Replies: 32 (1134 views)
Last post by: Stubby79 on 03-14-2015 01:25 PM
SillyImportRacer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SillyImportRacerSend a Private Message to SillyImportRacerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do y'all think it'll work?
I can use all the help I can get.

http://www.gofundme.com/od7...ction_ref_map=%5B%5D
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So your wife bought you the car and you want us to pay to fix it......mmmmmm.
Good luck with that.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've gotta admit, this is a little weird.
SillyImportRacer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SillyImportRacerSend a Private Message to SillyImportRacerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She bought it when work was steady.
With this wonderful economy, evrery time I get some cash set to the side, work slows down or stops & I have to use that money to pay bills.
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SillyImportRacer:

With this wonderful economy, evrery time I get some cash set to the side, work slows down or stops & I have to use that money to pay bills.

No offense, but that's got to be the life story of at least 50% of the membership here. Personally, I haven't driven my car in 8 years because I can't afford to buy every part that it needs at once. So, I'll continue to save a few dollars from each check that I receive to save for each part I need. Want more money? Get another job. I've got three. Got any hobbies? Good enough at any of them to sell your services? Advertising on Craigslist is $free.99.

...but that's just me.

Best of luck.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So should I divert funds I make to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and send it to you?

I'll get right on it.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I understand times are tough, but asking for money just to build a car is ridiculous.

If you WORK towards your goal, you'll be 10X more satisfied with the results.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This "go fund me" baloney has gotten way out of hand. A few months ago another member was asking for donations to hire an attorney for a lawsuit and now this! I am 64 and I work two part time jobs to have extra money for my car hobby, try doing that.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I really don't get about gofundme is they don't Even take PayPal. Credit card only.

No thanks.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

What I really don't get about gofundme is they don't Even take PayPal. Credit card only.

No thanks.

I agree, I won't be surprised if they get hacked and donors credit card info is stolen.
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A noble way to support 'REAL' needy causes has truly been diminished into 2015 PANHANDLING. Please- Just go away.

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 03-10-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Though I agree with others about the methodology, I also agree with your intent of restoring the car. The Georgia Fiero Club is only an hour and a half from you and will be meeting this weekend.

You registered on our forum back in 2012 but were never active on it so your account was deactivated. If you would like for your registration to be reactivated so you can post on our forum send me an email or pm or just say so in this thread and I'll reactivate it.

Our members have a broad array of parts that we often give or sell at very attractive prices. We've also been known to do hands-on assistance or prolonged phone calls to walk an individual through a diagnostics or repair procedure.
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope.

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

This "go fund me" baloney has gotten way out of hand. A few months ago another member was asking for donations to hire an attorney for a lawsuit and now this! I am 64 and I work two part time jobs to have extra money for my car hobby, try doing that.

Hey I am 64 also. Did the two jobs for a while. Now I have full time job again, of course for less$. Seems if you are over 50 you are over qualified for jobs. LOL
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I worked, I was in an interview and they told me I was over qualified. My reply was "Then you'd really be getting a bargain for what you are offering to pay me." I still didn't get the job.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, once you get past 50 you have built up to a higher pay and if you lose your job its often hard to get re-hired because they don't want to pay you what you used to make and even if you agree to accept less money they don't believe you will stay with them long term. When I go to the type of business I used to work in as a customer now I can really see the effect that hiring all these younger people with no experience has on the service given. But its all good, both my part time jobs are 1099 type jobs so I am my own boss and don't have any more politics to deal with, I like it.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These cars are a hobby, not a necessity. If a person cannot afford to own or repair one of these old crappy economy cars, then perhaps they should focus on more urgent things like groceries, rent, or mortgage payments
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gee, sorry to see that you were another Fiero fire victim, and right after you got your car home --- that really stinks. Here's hoping that your 88 will have a better story and that you will have many fun Fiero years ahead. If you haven't tried this you should hang out in The Mall every couple of days b/c many folks have swapped other engines into their cars and clutches, flywheels, and all kinds of parts frequently appear there far below what you would pay for a new one. For example, I recently bought some inexpensive, 'pretty good' sail panels to replace the ones that I have that are really, really sad. You can also advertise for specific parts, e.g. WTB - Brake Master Cylinder. Good luck!!

JG
NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quit begging for money for a hobby. Jeez. Ask for help instead. Like my dad told me, "I wont do it FOR you but I will HELP you when you need it." I love r.c. cars. Guess what, if I cannot afford to buy the faster motor or better tires or the upgraded suspension, I DONT GO ASKING SOMEONE ELSE TO BUY IT FOR ME!

Ok, mini rant over.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Part of the joy of a hobby car is saving up to buy what you need. You agonize over what to buy. These lights, or those? The suspension upgrade, or the brakes upgrade? Anticipation of parts arrival is also good. Then there's the joy of receiving and installing the parts. Meanwhile, there's cleaning everything & fixing the interior.
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Part of the joy of a hobby car is saving up to buy what you need. You agonize over what to buy. These lights, or those? The suspension upgrade, or the brakes upgrade? Anticipation of parts arrival is also good. Then there's the joy of receiving and installing the parts. Meanwhile, there's cleaning everything & fixing the interior.

I'll 2nd that! ...part of the fun is the anticipation...It doesn't matter what budget you fall under.

Another large part is the journey of the build itself...without it, I kind of feel cheated.

Here is a clip from Babylon 5 that sums up what I mean...my point is at 4min and 40 seconds into the clip:

The last element is the pride in the completed project(s).
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
talk about unrealistic goals......I bought a Mera and had the brakes and suspention up graded AND a 3800 SC installed for about $14000 and that included $300 in destination charges.....sheesh. at least this guy dreams big
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by batousai666:

.....sheesh. at least this guy dreams big

For LESS than the $15G's he's looking for, he could get a "like new" GT (only 17,000 miles)
http://www.autozin.com/Pont...ust-look-,13153.html

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

For LESS than the $15G's he's looking for, he could get a "like new" GT (only 17,000 miles)
http://www.autozin.com/Pont...ust-look-,13153.html

Not that picture again. There was an ad with that exact same picture a few years ago, and it was pretty well determined it was a fraud.

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

She bought it when work was steady.

not trying to be the ******* here but what makes your story any different from any other struggling middle class American?

this car is a hobby. just like 99% of other members on here. if you drive a fiero daily without issues you are very lucky. This is not a place to come and beg for money. this is really getting out of hand if you need help ask. id you need a part find it. This is not a bank if you cant afford to keep the car going maybe you should find a less costly hobby

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 03-12-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have helped persons who have come here asking for monetary donations. I remember how everyone stepped up to provide assistance to RobsFieros when he was struck by the car, to provide funds for Aerodonamic (Don Hulse) to attend the 30th Anniversary show and most recently for Todd Mullenaux plus lots of others whom I can't remember. But those were for entirely different reasons. And there is always Tyler Shipman, the epitome of the Fiero Community's spirit of helping.

Georgia Fieros has reactivated SillyImportRacer's forum registration and he's close enough to us that we may be able to give him material and physical help to get his car back on the road. To date nothing has been detailed about what's needed to make it driveable.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gimme free money for my Fiero too!

Edit: Promise I won't spend it all on crack!

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 03-13-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Gimme free money for my Fiero too!

Edit: Promise I won't spend it all on crack!

I just don't see any reason for a comment like that, unless of course, you were truly speaking about yourself. Hopefully you know more about yourself and your habits than about SillyImportRacer.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's sad that the "go fund me" has turned into some using it for stuff like this.. It tis a tad over the top.
Now, Car guys in general will help others with spending time on another persons car spinning wrenches,and why being part of a club, group can be worth it's weight in gold. Over and above the shows/cruises/meets. Many times you can get some help working on your car,or someone that can walk you though doing it, but you best be willing to return the favor, as those that take advantage of peoples goodwill will not last long in a club, group.
People on this forum are more than willing to help with info, how to's ,and even selling parts for less than they are worth if they think a build is cool and that has more to do with the persons ability to make do with what they got, than the depth of the build, I.E. it doesn't need to be a full on custom. many will p.m. the person offering a part for nothing more than shipping and a promise you"pay it forward".
Spring is coming, I'd tell the O/P (sillyimportracer) to start hanging out at shows,cruises, meets. Talking about peoples cars there ,getting ideas for others builds, but not walking around with a beggers can in your hands. asking for hand outs will be a one way ticket out. But you'll find people there that might be interested in what your car projects, may offer to help turn wrenches (you supply the beer), just be ready to return the favor in kind... it won't happen the first few times you hang out, but you'll find people that will most likely become long time friends. Most car guys/gals still work on the one hand washes the other..
you know masonary work, they know how to weld, the trading of labor/skills is huge in the hobby.. Many times the going to shows/cruise/meets will get you venders that are local that you didn't know about, contacts on who does good work, and who to steer clear of, local people that may do side work, like interior work,etc.. You'll also find most at shows/cruises,meets know where all the junk yards are, AND once they know you are building (in this case a fiero). will be on the look out. and may at the next show/etc come over to you and tell you, "behind Joe's muffler shop , on x street there is a fiero sitting", That can be worth tons if you need a bunch of parts, as you now might be able to get a parts car.. Networking with local guys/gals in the hobby is huge.

As far as the "go fund me" and it being used or "tried" by this member. Sorry buddy there are much more worth wild causes to get behind , If it was a car enthusiast that lost a limb serving the country, or became deathly sick and could not finish his/her dream car. Those in the hobby would come out of the wood work to help them.. Or the person that always puts others first, always volunteering their time to help others.. People can get behind stuff like that.. but not a person that just can't afford his/her dream today, and doesn't want to have to wait to slowly build/afford it, and goes looking for a hand out..
Many in this hobby are in the same boat, have a project car or in many cases their only car, and no funds to make it what they want. This is why being part of the local car scene is Awesome!!! You'll find a bunch of enthusiast with more time and skill than money, willing to trade their skill and time to help you and you help them, or one of their buddies or family member, doesn't matter the you can do this, I can do that, lets help each other is a big part of the hobby.. Just don't screw someone over or you will find out just how tight knit the car/truck enthusiast is, and how big it is..

The "GO FUND ME" and the hobby can be used together, just not like this member tried.. I think it could have merit in the hobby. Using this forum as an example , When they built "tylers toy".
or if a group of members were building a 24hour of lemons car, as the safety gear can be costly and not subject to the spending cost limits, or travel for the team to get to the race(s)( fuel cost, tolls, ). and they were proudly displaying the forum "colors" (decals, logo).. A car club having a charity cruise for children's hospital to raise funds allowing those that can't be there help the cause.. as many car and bike clubs to many charity runs/cruises/shows.

Can't kill the guy for try'n, Tho it takes big balls to put that out there.. I could never do that.. people putting foolish wants/needs on that "go fund me" site.. I just shake my head..
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait here while I go work for you...

I am not PC. You need to look at life's important moments. Please pull that tin cup back.
PFF
System Bot
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After looking at the results on your Gofundme link for the past 5 days, I would say that the answer to your question is a resounding NO.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I just don't see any reason for a comment like that, unless of course, you were truly speaking about yourself. Hopefully you know more about yourself and your habits than about SillyImportRacer.

Come on, just one hit?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock