Watch out for theft by Zack_White86gt
Started on: 03-06-2015 03:45 PM
Replies: 55 (1116 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 03-12-2015 09:47 AM
Zack_White86gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zack_White86gtSend a Private Message to Zack_White86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

Adding to my bad luck with my Fiero (shop breaking rockers and getting rear-ended in a hit and run at a stoplight previously). My car was broken into yesterday and my steering column was destroyed. Luckily he couldn't get it started, but he took my stereo and amp. This occurred on the University of Minnesota campus. Be careful where you park your car. Something as innocent as the same lot everyday will draw attention to a car that is getting rarer and rarer to find.

The guy must have been in my car for quite a while. He had smoked two cigarettes inside of it and left the butts in my seat. Something must have scared him because he left tools and other debris in my car and did not even go in the trunk or take anything from my side pockets. And conveniently, the lot only uses its security cameras on event days. Sigh.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Here's some of the parts that were laying around broken.

[This message has been edited by Zack_White86gt (edited 03-06-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sucks. At least you got a free leatherman out of it, it looks like?
Zack_White86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zack_White86gtSend a Private Message to Zack_White86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

That sucks. At least you got a free leatherman out of it, it looks like?

Yeah, he was kind enough to leave that at least! He also left my sweatshirt, which was nice. He somehow got my window down an inch, which is weird, but at least he didn't break it.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the Achilles heel of the older GM columns, I've repaired many over the years while working at a Buick dealership. I have all the parts needed to repair your column back to original laying around the garage, PM me if you're interested. I'm not too far from Brooklyn Park, probably only take a couple hours to do.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 03-06-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somebody wants to steal a Fiero?!!

I wonder how many bimmers he had to walk by to get to your car.....
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry for your loss, but glad he didn't get further. What a moron. He can't get anything for the car.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

This is the Achilles heel of the older GM columns, I've repaired many over the years while working at a Buick dealership. I have all the parts needed to repair your column back to original laying around the garage, PM me if you're interested. I'm not too far from Brooklyn Park, probably only take a couple hours to do.

The Saginaw column is junk and I can't believe it was in production for so long. If anything should have had a massive recall it should have been that.

The handbrake if nothing else is a good anti-theft device because these kids would not know how to release it.

Sorry you got damaged, but it can all be repaired easy enough.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear this. The cost is minor, but the feeling of being violated sucks. Hopefully he didn't butt the cigarettes out on the seats. Someone smoking in my car would piss me off more than the damage.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

The Saginaw column is junk and I can't believe it was in production for so long. If anything should have had a massive recall it should have been that.

The handbrake if nothing else is a good anti-theft device because these kids would not know how to release it.

Sorry you got damaged, but it can all be repaired easy enough.

I remember there were a few companies that sold a hardened cover that would wrap around the lock housing and shift bowl to keep thieves from breaking the column to steal the car. This was why I installed a RFID push button start in my car when I bought it. A good thief can steal one of these cars in under a minute.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got lucky, a couple weeks ago they broke into 2 of my vehicles. They didn't damage anything or steal anything. They were looking for cash and cell phones. Still pizzed me off enough to keep the rifle loaded in case they ever come back.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm surprised you were targeted. Most thieves, these days, are too dim to drive a stick.

Glad they didn't get your car.
PFF
System Bot
Zack_White86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zack_White86gtSend a Private Message to Zack_White86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I'm surprised you were targeted. Most thieves, these days, are too dim to drive a stick.

This is what I'm surprised about. My car was/is in really nice shape, so I could see how somebody wanted to steal it. I take really good care of it and baby it. The violation of some random guy sitting and smoking in it is what made me mad.
Zack_White86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zack_White86gtSend a Private Message to Zack_White86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Zack_White86gt

79 posts
Member since Jan 2010

Originally posted by seajai:

Thanks, but I just bought a whole new column online. It looks like he was just whacking things and broke quite a few pieces in the column. I thought it would be easier to swap it out completely.

I think one of the reasons that he was unable to get it is because my neutral safety switch is broken and you have to reach under the dash and compress it to start the car.

Originally posted by Raydar:

Maybe he was too dim to drive a stick and that is why he was unable to take the whole car?

[This message has been edited by Zack_White86gt (edited 03-06-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zack_White86gt:

I think one of the reasons that he was unable to get it is because my neutral safety switch is broken and you have to reach under the dash and compress it to start the car.

That's something that you probably shouldn't fix...

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 03-06-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like your console skeleton is trashed, too. There seems to be enough smooth surface items that might hold a few latent fingerprints. Was this reported to the campus PD?

BUT WAIT! Wasn't it the University of Minnesota that said race, color of skin, or anything that puts a person into a particular group is profiling? Even if someone saw him, they can only say it was a male or female. Any other description is profiling.

But seriously, sorry it happened to you. Even though the university's cameras were off, check for businesses close by where the theft occurred. They might have video you can look at. Someone carrying the radio, maybe. I tracked a neighbor's stolen car like that to let the PD know which direction the thieves went.
Zack_White86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zack_White86gtSend a Private Message to Zack_White86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Looks like your console skeleton is trashed, too. There seems to be enough smooth surface items that might hold a few latent fingerprints. Was this reported to the campus PD?

BUT WAIT! Wasn't it the University of Minnesota that said race, color of skin, or anything that puts a person into a particular group is profiling? Even if someone saw him, they can only say it was a male or female. Any other description is profiling.

But seriously, sorry it happened to you. Even though the university's cameras were off, check for businesses close by where the theft occurred. They might have video you can look at. Someone carrying the radio, maybe. I tracked a neighbor's stolen car like that to let the PD know which direction the thieves went.

He left cigarette butts in the seat and tools as well. There is fingerprints all over everything, theres even dirty fingerprint marks around the window. They won't even do anything because it costs too much to do a test.

Yes, the U of M did say that. They also did the same thing last year and within a few weeks, they were "profiling" again. They only say they are going to stop, so that these activist groups stop harassing them.

I will go into the local businesses on Monday and see if any of them have any video.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Costs too much to do a test for fingerprints? Dust, tape and turn it over to the local PD to let them run the prints through their NCIC database? Someone just doesn't want to be bothered with the paperwork. Sorry they feel that way.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Few years back they stole my neighbors car, they couldn't be bothered to finger print or track the calls on the stolen cell phone. A week later they broke into a 85yr old woman's a house in the next block to steal her car. She was home so they murdered her. If the lazy ass cops had gone after them the first time she would still be alive.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Few years back they stole my neighbors car, they couldn't be bothered to finger print or track the calls on the stolen cell phone. A week later they broke into a 85yr old woman's a house in the next block to steal her car. She was home so they murdered her. If the lazy ass cops had gone after them the first time she would still be alive.

Typical. They don't want to investigate a burglary. All they want to do is fill out a police report and let you send that to your insurance company.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zack_White86gt:

My car was broken into yesterday...

Schmucks that break into cars and houses need to be publicly flogged. I'm serious.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Schmucks that break into cars and houses need to be publicly flogged. I'm serious.

...or privately pummeled. Either way would work for me.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
....or shot. I HATE thieves. And yes, I would shoot someone I caught in my car for any reason..even stealing a few quarters. Done it before.

You have to face it that that's the way the world is now. I never put other than a stock OEM radio in anything. If I do an aftermarket one, its a $29 Walmart special. The best way now if you want better is keep the stock radio and install a hidden one somewhere else with a jack for an MP3 player or your phone.

I hear every week on the news to NOT leave items visible in your car...yet millions leave expensive clothes, laptops and whatever sitting right on the seat, usually not even locking the doors. Those people deserve being robbed.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-07-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, I hate thieves too. Sorry this happened to you. I guess a kill switch wouldn't help any because the ECM would lose power?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I hear every week on the news to NOT leave items visible in your car...yet millions leave expensive clothes, laptops and whatever sitting right on the seat, usually not even locking the doors. Those people deserve being robbed.

Nobody deserves to be robbed. They deserve to have their junk left alone, because it belongs to them, and not you. Or I guess you don't pay for anything at the store, because their front doors are unlocked, and all that inventory is just sitting there for you to take, too.

Pull your head out of your seat.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was a kid in the early sixties and I remember that when I went somewhere with my Dad he always left his car unlocked when we went into the store and if it was hot the window was left down too. The car was never stolen or tampered with.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I was a kid in the early sixties and I remember that when I went somewhere with my Dad he always left his car unlocked when we went into the store and if it was hot the window was left down too. The car was never stolen or tampered with.

Sad thing is that those days are gone forever.
Zack_White86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zack_White86gtSend a Private Message to Zack_White86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I agree, I hate thieves too. Sorry this happened to you. I guess a kill switch wouldn't help any because the ECM would lose power?

Having the broken neutral safety switch was essentially my kill switch. I believe he would have taken the whole car and not just the radio, but he was unable to figure out why it would not start.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clutch safety switch is broken on both my Fiero's too but I jumped it with a heavy paperclip. I guess I could put a hidden switch on it like you did, good idea.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think a fake alarm light would deter a thief?

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have hidden switches for the fuel pump and the injectors.. Plus an alarm!

Glad they didn't get your car.. I fu**en HATE thieves!

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 03-09-2015).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

I have hidden switches for the fuel pump and the injectors.. Plus an alarm!

Glad they didn't get your car.. I fu**en HATE thieves!

Multiple kill switches is the best way to go ! If they find one and it still doesn't start chances are they are going to run.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Multiple kill switches is the best way to go ! If they find one and it still doesn't start chances are they are going to run.

Steve

Or at least have a couple of smokes then leave. The never of them that is what really pisses me off.

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear this. really sucks. I knew a guy who made a kill switch using a magentic relay. Had a magnet on his key chain. You had to put the mangnet in a certain spot to trip the relay then you could start the car.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to mention... On long times away I have where you can disconnect the battery with a turn of the knob on one of the terminals.. Works great for car shows too when you want to open your doors and the deck lid.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do people Read Campus Parking Policy?
You likely sign saying you agreed w/ Parking Policy to get Permit/Sticker.
If Campus lots don't have posted notices at the lot, most Student guides should have Parking Policy.

Campus Police don't bother?
News Flash, Many Local PD won't bother fingerprinting etc when you park on street or in city lots for most thefts, including whole cars.

Parking on Campus, City, or Business/private own lots and garages are all "Park at your own risk" operations.
If you don't have insurance to cover theft etc then Campus says too bad for you.

I keep "full" insurance because both cars are parked in/on city and private lots/garages. That does cost for older cars but can save you too. Many parked cars are wreck every day, Including total wreck for many and often is hit and run.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Campus Police don't bother?
News Flash, Many Local PD won't bother fingerprinting etc when you park on street or in city lots for most thefts, including whole cars.

in '95 my GMC Sonoma was broken into, radio stolen, along with my cds ( 2 of which eventually valued close to $100 each ) & I requested that the inside door locks be finger printed as the doors were locked & they smashed out my window. Local PD took my dome light because it was removed by the 'suspects'. The only follow up I got was six months later, they let me know that they threw away my dome light.

I was parked in a large parking lot 'hub' for local transportation. Hundreds of cars, & I think they said that night there was 50+ some break-ins.

Yeah, they didn't give a flying whatever.

This was on a Saturday. I parked Monday to load some items from where I was staying. I got a ticket for being over the meeter by 1 minute. All weekend long, the place goes un-monitored. You run over your time on a meeter however... & that'll be $20 please.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Nobody deserves to be robbed. They deserve to have their junk left alone, because it belongs to them, and not you. Or I guess you don't pay for anything at the store, because their front doors are unlocked, and all that inventory is just sitting there for you to take, too.

Pull your head out of your seat.

screw you. I SAID IF your stupid enough to leave your purse and laptop on your car seat and even leave it unlocked, you DO deserve what you get. What planet are you from ?

Do a test yourself, and leave your laptop setting on the seat and go to the store for an hour or two. Let me know if its still there when you come back.....

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

screw you. I SAID IF your stupid enough to leave your purse and laptop on your car seat and even leave it unlocked, you DO deserve what you get. What planet are you from ?

Do a test yourself, and leave your laptop setting on the seat and go to the store for an hour or two. Let me know if its still there when you come back.....

Screw yourself. If you think anyone deserves to be robbed, regardless of whether they left their car unlocked and a Rolex laying on their seat, your an ******* . The planet I'm from is where humanity evolved. There is a bit of human compassion left, despite your very poor attitude and outlook on life.

Trust, but verify is true, but it doesn't mean one is deserving of having their possessions taken against their will. Keep your off topic BS nonsense in TO/T please, rather than being a jerk and making such outlandish statements.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zack, sorry to hear about this invasion into and damage of your Fiero world. I like the idea of the 'blinking light' and also a kill switch.

JG
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres very little of this planets humanity left. Im not saying it should be stolen...your stuff should stay your stuff. The reality of the way IT IS, no matter how outlandish it might seem to you, is thieves WILL take any opportunity to take stuff thats not theirs....everytime they can. Again, if your that dumb, good luck keeping your stuff. So screw you again. Your the type that will whine the first time somethings stolen out in open view from your unlocked car. Im smart enough to NOT leave anything in view and lock up whenever I cant see it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock