Looking to buy a fiero - need some help by pickerbenny
Started on: 03-04-2015 04:45 PM
Replies: 11 (246 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-05-2015 08:25 AM
pickerbenny

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pickerbennySend a Private Message to pickerbennyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone, my name is Ben. I got my license 5 months ago and im ready to find a cool ride for the summer. I thought the most practical and best value of a ride would be a fiero.

I found a fiero for sale about 2 weeks ago. It's a 1986 fiero SE v-6. 120k on the engine. I spoke to the owner and he said he has done a few things to the car. NAPA parts on it. New gaskets heads and up, heads were redone, new pads, radiator, egr valve, new electric fans in front with a manual switch, wheel bearing, and new calipers in the rear. Some issues are it needs a brake line on the passenger side and the unibody is showing signs of wear in the rear? interior is great and everything runs as it should. inspected until june. and the car is currently in storage.

He is asking $1500 for the car btw. What do you guys think?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Thanks in advance, i wish to have one someday!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love my fiero but I wouldn't call it practical. Looks a little dirty and beat up, Imo for 1500 you could get one in better condition.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

I love my fiero but I wouldn't call it practical. Looks a little dirty and beat up, Imo for 1500 you could get one in better condition.

In Colorado Fiero prices are very high for some reason. On the other hand, I've encountered Fieros that have a good paint job for $2000 and run/drive great.

I bought my 86 GT 4 speed with 121XXX on the odometer with 1 owner and a lot of paper work for $2000.

I wouldn't go more than $1,000 on this Fiero listed above. The work that he has done to it sounds good but does he have paper work for all of this? When was it all done?

You mentioned it is going to be in storage so I'd wait awhile before you jump on it. There is bound to be more Fiero's for sale around spring/summer.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it needs a brake line I'd be leery about rust. Not sure what a "worn unibody" would be since it can't wear out, but it can rust out. IMO you better crawl all over and under the car to look for rust before you plunk down any money. Pull back the carpet in the trunk and look for holes, especially in the wheel tubs.
pickerbenny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pickerbennySend a Private Message to pickerbennyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the responses, so it would be more practical to find a GT one instead?
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pickerbenny:

thanks for the responses, so it would be more practical to find a GT one instead?

I meant the fiero in general lol, two seater, not much trunk space and low to the ground but still fun as hell to drive.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!

”Hello, Ben”. Now you tell us about your addiction.

You can use search to look at the pro/con discussion for buying a Fiero.

The unibody work thing bothers me also. Also, I work about the fan switches. If it needed manual switches, was it overheating?

I had an '86 SE. I bought it because it seemed to be the best option. 2nd year for the V6, no engine fires caused by manufacture, tail lights don't delaminate as badly as the fastback, parts for the year are more readily available than later years, etc.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-04-2015).]

Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The phrase "I thought the most practical and best value of a ride..." doesn't describe any 25 to 30 year old car selling for $1500 or less. I totally agree the Fiero is very cool but certainly not practical nor is it a best value for a young driver's hard earned money.

------------------
1988 GT
Medium Red Metallic
Manual, Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs & StuWipes

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieros for sale: http://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles/cars?q=fiero

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the others on looking for rust, also with a Fiero you need to be willing to get your hands dirty because their will always be something to work on and good mechanics are hard to find. As far as being small, I don't think that's an issue. When I was dating my wife in my early 20's my only car was a 1970 Opel GT and it has less space than the Fiero. If you can take someone with you who knows what to look for on a Fiero. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Fieros for sale: http://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles/cars?q=fiero

Not too sure about the 1972 & 1979 Fieros listed there.
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Other than the unibody comment (?) it doesnt seem so bad. But ya if you wait you can probably find one alot nicer for the same price.
If its is rusty where it counts you dont want it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock