What is a Notchback Special? by DRWBRTq19
Started on: 03-03-2015 01:41 AM
Replies: 16 (559 views)
Last post by: RED87SE on 03-06-2015 05:16 AM
DRWBRTq19

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to decode my VIN since I hadn't done it for several years and couldn't remember all the details.
Using FieroJoe.com's decoder I re-discovered that I have a Sport Coupe and not an SE (like I always remember it to be),
and I was quickly able to find the differencse between Coupe and Sport Coupe using search.

However when I searched Notchback Special, not a single hit came back...

So does anyone know what made the Notchback Special different from the standard Notchback?

Thanks guys

Drew
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year?
Generally speaking, the 'SE' featured a higher option level for trim and power accessories. After 84, the V6 was available as an upgrade to the Duke.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is going back a-ways on my memory, but I recall that my Fiero was an SportCoupe ('85 model) when I bought it, & that meant simply that it had air conditioning, but was missing other options. My car was a 4cyl automatic with manual windows & mirrors.
8bit88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not 100% sure on my answer here, though Fiero Special could be something like a PPG Pace Car or perhaps even the Fuel Economy Leader model.
FieroLou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLouSend a Private Message to FieroLouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am curious to know too. I vaguely remember reading it didn't necessarily have any meaning. I would be curious to hear if it meant something like Air Conditioning.

My 1985 4 cyl auto is a "special" air conditioning is the only thing "special" about it.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 Pontiac Dealers Manual. I recall reading some bulletins form Pontiac where they did a special version of the Fiero for 87. Something about option content. Like may be a base coupe with a package? I'll see if I can find it.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you come up with the term 'Notchback Special'?
DRWBRTq19

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an 85 with AC, and I found the Notchback Special term on the fierojoe.com decoder, It's also listed that way on gafiero.org's decoder.

However looking at some of the other decoders now (it was pretty late/early when I was looking last night) they're just listing it as a Notchback.

This is how it's broken down on the fierojoe website:

11: Notchback
37: Notchback Special
97: Fastback

The numbers are located in the 6th and 7th position of the VIN.

Drew
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never seen a special listed anywhere.

I think from memory the 37 code was just for a coupe and I have never seen any Special package in any of my product books that I recall.

The line up was simply sport coupe, SE and GT coupes in 84-85 and the trim and engine were the main differences. The Sport was basic with the 4 the SE had the GT interior and Options on the WS6 and V6 engine the GT got the body mods and the engine and suspension standard.

The Fiero was never really complicated nor did it have many oddities like many cars in the 60's had.

I suspect Joe has a error or typo on his web site.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRWBRTq19:
This is how it's broken down on the fierojoe website:

11: Notchback
37: Notchback Special
97: Fastback

The numbers are located in the 6th and 7th position of the VIN.

Drew

A base fiero has always been a Notchback.

The fastback or GT models were always the higher end models with more options being standard like power mirrors, windows ect.

If a Notchback Fiero has options like the GT than it is considered a "Notchback special."

A formula is a perfect example of a 'special' Notchback considering it has options found on the GT and not the base.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 03-03-2015).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In searching for the 87 Dealer Manual I found an 86 Dealer Manual.
I found what I was thinking of. In March 1987 Pontiac made the W63 Option Group available on the Fiero Coupe-E37. By doing this the Fiero Coupe fully equipped as they say would be $1500 cheaper than the Sport Coupe with the same option package. At the end of February Pontiac announced the build out of the Sport Coupe. Also found the Pontiac Motorsports News release as sent to dealers for the Fiero GTP.
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This decoder has a different explanation for those numbers:

http://www.nytmare.org/fiero/vin/fierovin.htm
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 86 Manual has the announcement for the New SE. Also the NEW GT.
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 GT has power windows but not power mirrors. Hmmmmm.

Ill have to get the VIN and see what the decoders say.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "good old days" when you were able to "build" a car with the options you wanted and not the manufacturer's list of options and only those options.

My latest purchase of a new car had an available option of auto dimming rearview mirror, and the car on the lot which had all the other options I wanted and after agreeing to purchase the car and have the mirror option installed, I scheduled an appointment for the installation then was told it wasn't in stock, then told it wasn't an available option. I had to go to the web site and send to the sales manager the option list that it was indeed an option. I did get a call by the sales manager that it was their error and got the option installed. Most auto salesmen want to do the least just to get a sale.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry! Could NOT resist!

RED87SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RED87SESend a Private Message to RED87SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to FIERO by Gary Witzenburg (p76) The 86 SE's standard suspension was the Y-99. This package was called "Rally Tuned" this year instead of "Special Rally" as in 1985.

Dan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock