Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Can Anyone Spot Anything I Haven't? Hidden Faults?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can Anyone Spot Anything I Haven't? Hidden Faults? by 8bit88
Started on: 02-18-2015 06:43 PM
Replies: 16 (541 views)
Last post by: 8bit88 on 02-28-2015 03:02 PM
8bit88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://classiccars.com/list...south-carolina-29645

This is a cool looking silver 86 GT that I found for sale while procrastinating on the internet. It's got what appears to be a flat/low front left tyre, after-market steering wheel wrap, after-market stereo, seat covers, but an otherwise original and clean looking interior. The front is missing the badge and the hood appears to have just a bit of paint chipping. Good news is that the quarter windows look pretty good and the rear light bar looks to not be cracked, but may be faded slightly. Engine looks really clean and is posted as running, but may have been touched up. Only worrying this about this find is the lack of mileage information, the absence of proof that any of the mechanicals and electrics work, what appears to be red paint along the seams (look at under hood pictures, it looks like red paint to me, possibly a shoddy respray) and the seats all covered up. Anyone care to weigh in on this car, the price isn't that great, but it seems to be pretty good if it turns out to be low miles.

[img]http://images.classiccars.com/preview/422883_15225738_1986_Pontiac_Fiero.jpg[ /img]

------------------
My Fieros (FM4)
'88 GT 600HP G8 engine, lowered, racing modifications
'88 GT Minor street modifications, Police paint scheme
'88 GT "Banana Boat" minor street modifications
'88 GT Silver, stock
'88 GT Red, Body Kit, Racing modifications, orig. engine

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything covered (seats, steering wheel) are done so for a reason. Assume they're trashed. No mention of mileage, assume very high. This is one time to assume will not make an ass u me. If your wrong on those things great, but if your not you won't be disappointed.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
besides what you mentioned--no ashtrays (if it matters), what are those wires hanging in the passenger footwell?, what is that pink wire in the front compartment? it has the performance sound but I don't think its hooked up, duct tape on the steering wheel------gimme some more time I can find some more!

------------------
Pat Jones

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Upon looking at the photos again it appears there is a sizeable dent in the front left fender. I've seen this before on several used Fieros. Is this a common problem or point of weakness? Is this a thing that would be fixed with bondo and a dent puller or is this a case where you'd have to buy a new fender?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not a dent.....its a trick of the lighting and the normal flare of the fender.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The body is plastic, and doesn't rust or dent--it cracks and sags.

It looks as if at least the hood was red. One lug nut cover is missing. The front compartment needs a lot of cleaning, so the heater box is probably nasty. That isn't duct tape on the steering wheel--it's a cover that wasn't wrapped correctly. The center console looks good, except for the glove box. Some interesting wiring in the engine compartment. Check the underbody, battery area, and under trunk carpet for rust.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8bit88:

Engine looks really clean and is posted as running, but may have been touched up...

The first thing I noticed is the dogbone coming apart. I'm surprised that it can actually separate off to the side that much.

The aftermarket EGR valve does not have the vacuum hose attached to it. There's possibly a vacuum leak (and high idle) associated with that.

The (bare) wiring around the coil and distributor looks rather questionable.

The battery is at a weird angle. I suspect the battery tray has rotted away.

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess is that at one point this car was red, or was given a new front end off of a red Fiero. You can see some red paint around the gap between the trim and the body work. My best guess is that this is a classic that's been run too hard for too long and it's coming apart at the seams now. Not sure it's worth $3,000 I'd give probably 2 max for it.

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I can see it looks like it has had front end work done to it. The hood was red and the passenger side front fender was red also. Look closly at the fender trim and you can see red under it. The trim on the nose is ribbed not rounded and of course the nose badge is missing. Its missing the washer bottle in the front compartment. The rear trunk popper wire is just hanging off the solenoid.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-19-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been at least partially repainted. The hood is very obviously off a red car. They don't list the mileage of the car. If it was low miles, I'm sure they'd list the mileage.

You probably won't get it for $2K, and it's likely not worth that much. It's being sold by a classic cars dealer, not a private seller. You may have a hard time talking them down much off that price.
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duct tape on the steering wheel spokes, overall looks like a well worn classic car, but of course you can't really buy a car from pictures.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The first thing I noticed is the dogbone coming apart. I'm surprised that it can actually separate off to the side that much.

The engine has been moving around...which means the engine mounts are bad....
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The engine has been moving around...which means the engine mounts are bad....

Yeah, I was wondering if maybe the engine was sort of sitting in there twisted somewhat.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They want 3k for 500 dollar car?
Angellightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngellightningSend a Private Message to AngellightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that one's been for sale for years now.
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2015 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's obviously a piece of work. Way too much that is way too tired on that car for the price they're asking. Wouldn't be a bad candidate for a swap or parts though if it were 1/8th or so of the price.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock