Started on: 02-16-2015 12:01 PM
Replies: 13 (382 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 02-18-2015 10:46 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-07-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You would need to build a massive metal assembly to support the car: Attachment to the frame would be difficult and perhaps damaging. Gasoline would pour out of various vents.

And for what? If you want to use a lot of your time and money, buy a few old Fieros and fix them up....sell them at a loss and make somebody happy.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering what the purpose would be. The only time I have seen a need for this is a complete restoration. The rotation is for the frame only which would be just fine on a Fiero with no fluids as it would be with any other car.

I would never try hanging the car from the suspension. You would be putting tension on compression designed components.

For $3,000 or less you can get a 2 post lift that will satisfy a lot of needs. I have had one for nearly 15 years and can tell you that it is pretty good even on a frame stripped application.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...ad=20040710-1-038859

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 02-16-2015).]

sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You wouldn't want an engine with oil upside down or a car with gas and fluids in it. No purpose either
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to remove windows unless they are sitting loose.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

So, the consensus seems to be that, if I removed the engine and fluids, this could be done if bolted to the frame? Would I have to remove the windows?

I am a little worried about the gas coming out of vents comment. It sounds as if, were you to jave a wreck and flip, gasoline would be everywhere, in addition to other troubles.

Gasoline I wouldn't worry about so much. The fuel system is sealed (there's a reason a gas cap pressure test exists in emissions and safety tests). Unless you already have a fuel leak, the fuel system should be fine if it were to be turned upside down. The coolant, oil, and other fluids though, I would be more concerned about.

Really though, I wouldn't want to turn any vehicle upside down with fluids in it, that wasn't designed to be upside down at some point during its service life. And I don't see why you'd even want to turn a fully assembled and running vehicle upside down or sideways.

Also, what NASCAR are you talking about that weighs 5000 lbs? Winston Cup cars are more like 3400. The trucks are pretty light too. They are full race vehicles after all. I'm surprised the cars even weigh as much as they do.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-17-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

This is the idea. Why not keep my car nice? I won't always just be able to buy a nicer car.

Right, but you really only need to turn it around once, when it's stripped bare and you're totally restoring the frame. If you keep the undercoating and everything fresh and clean, it will last a very long time, and you don't need a rotisserie to do that. I'm sure you don't want to go draining the fluids and doing a total restore every few years.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would check with Danyel in Quebec, his build thread for the Black Widow mentions making a rotisserie for his Fiero.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock