Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any Ideas on how to straighten moulding around radio/climate controls

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any Ideas on how to straighten moulding around radio/climate controls by hetterbr
Started on: 02-12-2015 04:21 PM
Replies: 8 (203 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 02-13-2015 02:32 AM
hetterbr

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hetterbrSend a Private Message to hetterbrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 GT, all stock.

I have been looking for the surround (one that is not warped) that goes around the radio/climate controls. But it seems that those would be hard/impossible to find. So the next best thing would be to try and straighten the one I have.

Has anyone done this and what technique was used to straighten it?

Mine seems to be warped along the sides and top of the opening.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You use a glue and some clamps/clips to glue it back tight. I will check for some threads, its kind of a common issue.
I used Gorilla Glue.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
8bit88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've not looked into this as I do not own a Fiero at the moment, though depending on the material I would suggest sanding it flat and then applying a spray-on clear coat/ lacquer depending on the finish you're looking for. If you could, it would certainly help if you could post a picture. Really hope this helps, best wishes. Nevermind, thought you were talking about that piece of trim, rather than the leather shell.

[This message has been edited by 8bit88 (edited 02-12-2015).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used super glue - just plain old super glue. Lots of clamps with a thin strip of wood, one piece all the way across, under the clamps where marks could show. I got rid of the loose hard foam between the frame and the cover material. I have about 3 seasons on my console and it still looks good and is holding fine.

------------------
woodys 427

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Save yourself a lot of clamps and get some wooden paint stirring sticks from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, or....
Cut them to length and wrap them with waxed paper to prevent gluing them to the vinyl, THEN put one on each side of the seam and use just a few large clamps to make some nice neat STRAIGHT glued edges.

That's the way I did it anyway.....

------------------

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That thread shows the process very well, but not the right glue.....which was discovered later I think.... it's called Gorilla Glue. Clean out the old damaged foam and use a smaller volume of glue in the space because it expands. More clamps the better.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thread that will give a little bit more info. In my case the foam had swelled up badly, and prevented me from stretching the vinyl back to where it needed to be glued. I cleaned out quite a bit of the foam before gluing it. And yes, gorilla glue does work the best of anything out there. As it dries, it foams up, thus filling cracks and crevices and ensuring a solid attachment between the pieces. Super glue will only hold on perfectly flat surfaces for the most part.

Before:

After:
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Save yourself a lot of clamps and get some wooden paint stirring sticks from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, or....
Cut them to length and wrap them with waxed paper to prevent gluing them to the vinyl, THEN put one on each side of the seam and use just a few large clamps to make some nice neat STRAIGHT glued edges.

That's the way I did it anyway....

What he said. I use loctite super glue, dries fast, and mine has lasted for prob 8 years now
Clamps will leave marks in the vinal, I dont know if permenent, but the paint sticks work well and spread the force out from the clamps, and leave no marks.
I like the loctite super glue (only that brand, the best super glue out there) dries fast so you can keep working on it, glue that dries overnight takes days to do a piece

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock