Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  It's a given the Fiero gets light in the front at speed, has any one done a splitet?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
It's a given the Fiero gets light in the front at speed, has any one done a splitet? by solotwo
Started on: 02-11-2015 02:33 PM
Replies: 26 (650 views)
Last post by: spirit on 02-15-2015 11:42 AM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We all know and have experienced the front getting light at speed. My question/thought is has anyone thought of doing a splitter on the front like a lot of current sports cars, ie Camaro Z/28, Corvette Z07.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 02-11-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Current sports cars also have appropriate venting from the front to avoid pressure building up under the hood and creating lift. The Vette/Camaro also limit the amount of air that goes into the engine bay area, versus going around the vehicle.

I've seen a splitter and/or canards installed on a few Fieros though. Usually on cars with 87-88 coupe nose.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I vented my hood and it helped reduce nose lift at speed and my headlight doors no longer popped up over 100 mph.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put on Amidas fi355 splitter on my front and did notice a small reduction in front end lift. But I agree with the others a generous hood vent like the Angel or Warber or Doublec4 would prob make a bigger impact. Or do both like I'm planning.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't drive my 28 year old car at high speed, so no need for a splitter or anything else to keep the front down.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first one that comes to mind is R Runner's:

spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 GT which I have vented the hood, installed a grill bar from a Kenworth W900mand used 18wheeler black plastic mud flaps to fashion a splitter to the front. At 140 the front gets a little light but not light enough to make it unsafe.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see that. Sounds great.

Originally posted by spirit:

I have an 86 GT which I have vented the hood, installed a grill bar from a Kenworth W900mand used 18wheeler black plastic mud flaps to fashion a splitter to the front. At 140 the front gets a little light but not light enough to make it unsafe.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Hood vents makes sense for those who drive on sunny days, but I am concerned about rain-snow getting into/onto the fan motor. It need to be made with a screen and a drain hole and not open completely.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-12-2015 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Hood vents makes sense for those who drive on sunny days, but I am concerned about rain-snow getting into/onto the fan motor. It need to be made with a screen and a drain hole and not open completely.

Use the Sunbird Turbo vents as several have done, the aluminum vent doublec4 offers, or add ventilation another way, such as behind the headlights to vent into the body/wheel area like fierosound did.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds good what do they look like?

Originally posted by dobey:

Use the Sunbird Turbo vents as several have done, the aluminum vent doublec4 offers, or add ventilation another way, such as behind the headlights to vent into the body/wheel area like fierosound did.

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-12-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That sounds good what do they look like?

Sunbird Turbo vents:

Aluminum vent from doublec4:

Where fierosound's internal vents are located:

And here's some more splitters:
doublec4's car:

Steven Snyder's car:

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 02-12-2015).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sunbird Turbo vents:

doublec4's car:

Steven Snyder's car:

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Darn love those notchies. I have a weekness for red notchies.

Sunbird Turbo vents:

doublec4's car:

Steven Snyder's car:

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to be a grampa about it but please stop driving 140MPH on public roads.

I'm no slouch behind the wheel but this IS serious criminal behavior.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grandpa I don't drive 140 on public roads. This grandpa is well aware of all the legal ramifications sir. This grandpa only had the 88 2.5 he used to have over 100 once on the expressway with no other cars around were the other side was over 500 yards away with trees and a ravine in between. Same with the 87 3800SC. This grandpa had noticed the front gets light even at lower speeds. This grandpa wants to do track day in the future. We have 2 nice sports car race tracks in West Michigan.

Originally posted by RayOtton:

Sorry to be a grampa about it but please stop driving 140MPH on public roads.

I'm no slouch behind the wheel but this IS serious criminal behavior.

spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do my hi-speed on a track. One and only time but no more. I usually run with traffic or the speed limit which ever is faster.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grandpa I don't drive 140 on public roads. This grandpa is well aware of all the legal ramifications sir. This grandpa only had the 88 2.5 he used to have over 100 once on the expressway with no other cars around were the other side was over 500 yards away with trees and a ravine in between. Same with the 87 3800SC. This grandpa had noticed the front gets light even at lower speeds. This grandpa wants to do track day in the future. We have 2 nice sports car race tracks in West Michigan.

No need to get pissy. Since you didn't mention going 140 I couldn't have been referring to you, now could I?

That seems to be the biggest problem around here.

Thin skins.

And my comment still stands.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry you took it as pissy as it wasn't meant that way. I was just stating some facts. I apologize if i offended you.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
You are correct people/things have changed on this forum. NOT like it was when I first signed up.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Did you notice I mentioned track day? That is why I asked the question and started the thread. To keep the front end down for handling.

Thank you
Steve

No need to get pissy. Since you didn't mention going 140 I couldn't have been referring to you, now could I?

Thin skins.

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thin skins.

No need to assume that the 140 speed is on public roads, either. A big problem here is people jumping in threads to nanny people rather than comment on the topic of the thread, and espouse their self-righteousness.

And speaking about thin skins, why is it that when one makes an inappropriate comment in a thread, then one replies in kind, that person has a "thin skin" exactly? Seems like you're the one with the thin skin if you want to dish it out, but can't take it back.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2015 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Did you notice I mentioned track day? That is why I asked the question and started the thread. To keep the front end down for handling.

Back to the topic, if you want to keep the front down, a splitter will help, but what you really need, is venting of the pressure from under the front. The spare tire area is sealed (unless you've cut that open), so it's really just pressure building up in the small area between the radiator and spare tire well.

If your car is stored outside and not covered, and you're worried about snow/water getting into the radiator fan, then the best option would be the fierosound style vents. I wouldn't worry about moisture in the fan motor though, as you're getting plenty of moisture coming through the radiator when you drive in the rain anyway. Snow or ice piling up inside the shroud and in the fan blades might be a bigger problem and worth worrying about.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I put on of those on my car the only thing I would be splitting are the raccoons and ground hogs (and the occassional cat) that are always in the middle of the roads around here
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HaHa. True but funny. I used to live in Delaware Ohio, Many, many moons ago. Like in the early 60's. For a kid from West Michigan, having no lakes in Delaware was hard to get used to. LOL

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

If I put on of those on my car the only thing I would be splitting are the raccoons and ground hogs (and the occassional cat) that are always in the middle of the roads around here

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

No kidding... I once came around a blind corner on a familiar road - actually doing the speed limit - and saw a bunch of bright dots. These dots were the eyes of a family of opossum going for a stroll. It took me about 20 minutes with a hose to get the hair and guts off of my lower radiator supports on my 85 GT.

Later that year, I broke the lower fascia on my then-new to me RX8 going around the same corner - that time it was a cat that should've stayed where it was sitting next to that mailbox.
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually slow down when I see animals. That's why they put brakes on cars.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock