Started on: 02-09-2015 11:41 PM
Replies: 24 (990 views)
Last post by: weaselbeak on 02-18-2015 08:18 PM
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was tempted to go look at it. It's been for sale for a month or 2.

Do you know the story on it?
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been for sale off and on for some time now.
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it would be a very dangerous vehicle to drive.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too light in the front?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Too light in the front?

I would say so, plus I would say that the car was never designed to support that engine in that configuration.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still trying to figure out how the wheels are being driven with the engine like that. At first I was thinking they used a porsche transmission but, the engine is sitting directly between the strut towers. So how do axles get to the wheels?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet it is one of these......

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

I'm still trying to figure out how the wheels are being driven with the engine like that. At first I was thinking they used a porsche transmission but, the engine is sitting directly between the strut towers. So how do axles get to the wheels?

Front wheel drive??

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I bet it is one of these......

Y'up, now that I could see...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a Cadillac Eldorado version in 1970 with a 500 cubic inch V8.....(8.2 litres!) I have no idea how heavy it was.....but it was a lot.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-11-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no decklid--engine will get rained on..
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are about 600lbs. The Eldos came with both the 472 and the 500 with the FWD TH425. Throw that in the back of your Fiero, surewhynot.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably will do a wheelie
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

They are about 600lbs. The Eldos came with both the 472 and the 500 with the FWD TH425. Throw that in the back of your Fiero, surewhynot.

So a little heavier than a N*/4T80 swap then. Truthfully though, I like my 293 lb 4T80. I don't worry about it breaking when I drop the hammer... Back to the topic at hand though. I opened the link and looked at the pic again and I think it is that engine/trans. You can see it is sitting up higher then the deck lid would be. You would have to cut out a fairly large opening to allow the deck lid to close over that. Of course, all that weight in the arse might make it easier to steer in parking lots

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 02-12-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that there is a you tube video out there with him driving it down the road
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2015 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

There was a Cadillac Eldorado version in 1970 with a 500 cubic inch V8.....(8.2 litres!) I have no idea how heavy it was.....but it was a lot.

lighter than a small block chevy.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2015 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by jediperk: You can see it is sitting up higher then the deck lid would be. You would have to cut out a fairly large opening to allow the deck lid to close over that. Of course, all that weight in the arse might make it easier to steer in parking lots

looking at it, the only parts in the way is the carb, remove the air cleaner and add a hat, or indy scoop..
500 ft lb.. might need training wheels below the rear bumper..
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cruising range 125 miles, great for the drag strip though
kristinagalloway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kristinagallowaySend a Private Message to kristinagallowayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it still for sale?
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen this car pop up on the Tulsa Craigslist from time to time. I'm pretty sure the drive train is out of an Eldorado. Here are some photos I posted last summer of an Eldorado I saw at my favorite salvage. The transmission wraps around the engine and the drive shafts cross in front of the oil sump.

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

I was looking for Fiero parts when I saw it, so that sorta makes it Fiero-related, right? It's a '71 Eldorado. What a massive car. It's a 500 cubic inch engine, but notice how much space there is both in front of and behind the engine.

This is the first time I've ever looked at the front-wheel drive setup up close. Notice that the differential is almost in front of the engine and the axle passes in front of the oil pan sump, with less than a half inch of clearance.

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

See how far the steering box is from the firewall.

Notice that the car has a steering dampener.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 02-13-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a great swap , I love mine . pretty much same exact thing just i have a more common motor .
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am I the only one that noticed the pulleys facing the rear of the car? Unless he's spinning the crank backwards that car should have 4 reverse gears and one forward?.....
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

lighter than a small block chevy.

Car mag put a 472 (same engine) in a Chevette, claimed it was 40 lbs heavier than a SBC.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock