Fiero Engine Block Table Possibility? by Shho13
Started on: 02-09-2015 09:10 PM
Replies: 20 (516 views)
Last post by: dobey on 02-12-2015 03:48 PM
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yo guys whats up?

I have been seeing a bunch of pictures online of guys taking an old V8 engine block and making it into coffee tables!

This got me thinking a little bit, whenever I get around to doing my 3800SC swap in the next year or two I was tossing around the idea about doing this to my old 2.8. I did some searching and couldn't find anyone that has done this before with a Fiero block! Realistically it's not that hard to do, and really cheap since the only needed things are paint and a sheet of glass: just strip it down, clean it up, paint it, drill and tap some holes to bolt up four of the removed pistons and rest a sheet of glass on top.

However, I have never seen a removed Fiero block in person yet and I am not sure of a few possible things to consider...

How big is just the block? Would it be a waste of time due to it being too small and un-sturdy to use as a coffee table? Maybe attach the intake in a way to keep the FIERO engraving visible through the glass to make it a little taller and cooler looking?

Since it isn't an aluminum block, is just the block absurdly heavy? I mean, would it be a complete chore just to carry it into the house with two people?

I think it would be a cool little project, a nice conversation starter, and a good trophy for the living room... Besides, it's like a memento for all the places that engine has taken you over the years, it would be nice just to to sit on the couch with a frosty beverage, relaxing, watching some TV with it like it's an old friend! :P

So cool looking!

Thoughts or ideas guys?

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Since it isn't an aluminum block, is just the block absurdly heavy? I mean, would it be a complete chore just to carry it into the house with two people?

Two people couldn't do it. Well....maybe 2 Pro Football players could, but it's way over 250 lbs.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-09-2015).]

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

it's way over 250 lbs.

Whoa, just the short block is 250 lbs???

That may be too heavy...

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably catch fire and burn down your house.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Probably catch fire and burn down your house.

Silly, only the Iron Dukes were prone to engine fires! There was a recall performed, so it will be just fine!

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it'd be cool if someone found a neat way of repurposing the V6 intake. So many cars have nondescript lumps powering them now... Especially "commuter" cars as they tried to make these to be. Hard to get something with personality under the hood. Most people really don't care anymore.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2.8 block weighs a little over 100 lbs. I shipped one several years ago and I think it came in at 110. I put cardboard over the gasket surfaces and stretch wrapped the whole thing, so very little of that weight was packaging.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A block without heads, I'd say one guy could move it.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CavScout:

I think it'd be cool if someone found a neat way of repurposing the V6 intake. So many cars have nondescript lumps powering them now... Especially "commuter" cars as they tried to make these to be. Hard to get something with personality under the hood. Most people really don't care anymore.

Absolutely right!!! You open the hood on any car today and all you see is plastic covers! Its like people don't even want to even see the engine...

Well, 100 lbs isn't bad at all! I'll do it, best case senereo I get a new awesome coffee table!

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, 100 lbs isn't bad at all! I'll do it, best case senereo I get a new awesome coffee table!

I must admit I have not weighed a 'bare' block..... a 'short' block includes the crank and pistons....so by the time your table is done, it may be hard to push around. Keep us updated!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most people do this with old spare motors:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-10-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even if you end up making a grill - make sure you follow up with some pics! Would like to see whatever you come up with.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was planning to make a coffee table from my v6 parts car until I had to wrestle the engine and trans out of the cradle with no cherry picker. That block is heavy, well I guess mine wasn't just an empty block, it was a short block, but I threw out the take idea just because it would be really heavy.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And to finish off the man cafe in the bar back area.

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My man room has a Winston cup tire inner liner and rim off the 28 driven by Ricky Rudd from Daytona speedway with a piece of glass on it. My friend worked for Richard petty experience at the tract.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CavScout:

Even if you end up making a grill - make sure you follow up with some pics! Would like to see whatever you come up with.

I definitely will! I'm slowly aquiring parts for the 3800SC, I hope to have all the parts needed in the next two years! As soon as it is in the car, I'll begin making the table!

The grill is a cool idea too.... Hmmmmmmm....

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shho13

916 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by LornesGT:

And to finish off the man cafe in the bar back area.

This is awesome!!! I'm thinking maybe we can take a set of random heads and remove the valves and make possibly make a high flow ported shower head out of them! Most newer style shower heads suck with their water-saving features, takes five minutes just get the shampoo rinsed out! Haha

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2015 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer my engines to be in vehicles. I'll most likely be sending my 2.8 off to where it belongs, when I pull it out, if nobody buys it within a few months… to be melted down and turned into some other collection of cast iron parts.

Make a skillet out of it, and use it to bake some cornbread. Much better than a table that weighs 150 lbs. Novelty items are novel, but if I was going to have any, I'd rather have something designed and built for that purpose, and which has a more reasonable weight for what it is. Engines are great things for spiders to live in, but not great for designer furniture.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I prefer my engines to be in vehicles. I'll most likely be sending my 2.8 off to where it belongs, when I pull it out, if nobody buys it within a few months… to be melted down and turned into some other collection of cast iron parts.

Make a skillet out of it, and use it to bake some cornbread. Much better than a table that weighs 150 lbs. Novelty items are novel, but if I was going to have any, I'd rather have something designed and built for that purpose, and which has a more reasonable weight for what it is. Engines are great things for spiders to live in, but not great for designer furniture.

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My plan for my 2.8 after I did the swap was to turn it into a coffee table. I am not going to just us the block but leave the heads and intake on it so looking through the glass you will see the red Fiero intake which is the best looking part of the engine. I don't see the point of just using a 2.8 block. Nothing special or interesting about it.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-12-2015 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroReinke:

My plan for my 2.8 after I did the swap was to turn it into a coffee table. I am not going to just us the block but leave the heads and intake on it so looking through the glass you will see the red Fiero intake which is the best looking part of the engine. I don't see the point of just using a 2.8 block. Nothing special or interesting about it.

That is going to be one incredibly heavy coffee table.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock