rally gauge pod wiring by Northwoods2
Started on: 01-31-2015 05:36 AM
Replies: 9 (657 views)
Last post by: Northwoods2 on 02-01-2015 08:29 AM
Northwoods2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Northwoods2Send a Private Message to Northwoods2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question,......I have a 85 V6 GT Notch. It didn't come with the volt / oil pressure gauge pod, but I just bought one. I have the short wiring harness plug set up that plugs into the pod, but what wires do I have to connect to my car that didn't come with this set up. The aftermarket Haynes manual doesn't designate all of the color coded wires. Thank you for any reply.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a wiring diagram from the 86 service manual, I don't have an 85 manual but I'd think the colors would be the same. My 88 has a plug in the wiring harness behind the radio where the pigtail from the rally gauge plugs into but it looks like the 86 is hard wired in. The grey wire is used for panel illumination.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 01-31-2015).]

Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same question about an '87. Anyone know if it's plug and play on an '87?
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

I have the same question about an '87. Anyone know if it's plug and play on an '87?

According to the 87 service manual, there is a connector for the aux gauge pigtail. I would assume it's built into the wiring harness even if the car didn't come with the gauges. It should be in the harness to the left of the radio.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just chiming in to confirm seajai is correct in both posts.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding. Thank you both.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bringing this up in case it's relevant...

I thought I had read here in the forums (sometime over the last 15 years!) that if a gauge pod was added to a Fiero that didn't originally have it that one of the gauges that was now redundant in the original instrument cluster needed to be disconnected/eliminated (otherwise the readings were incorrect). I believe it was the oil pressure gauge. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I don't remember every year and model variation, but this is the tach that a V6 Fiero which comes with the center gauge pod uses.

And this is the tach that a V6 Fiero uses which doesn't have the center gauge pod. Notice the oil pressure gauge. If I remember correctly, you don't want that one still connected if you add a center gauge pod (which has it's own oil pressure gauge). You can either swap out the tach to the other style, or simply disconnect the oil pressure gauge on this tach.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-31-2015).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just checked my base '87 and it does in fact have the oil pressure gauge at the bottom of the tach.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disconnect the wire at the dash plug-in. Insulate the end.
Connector 3, wire 17, tan.
Northwoods2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Northwoods2Send a Private Message to Northwoods2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you guys so much, all I got out of the seller is that I would have to cut a wire from the tach and connect it to the oil gauge on the pod. It is 8 degrees above here right now, it would be awesome if I did have the connector plug there already. I have to wait for warmer conditions. I may have a nice garage but it isn't heated yet. Got something to share with you's now. Since I bought this gauge pod, I have tried to clean up the glass alittle. Well, the glass / plastic still has yellowing in it that I can't get out. But here is what I'm doing and have found out. Go to McMaster-Carr on the web. I order parts for work thru this big industrial cataglog. So I went in there looking for a small sheet of this material. And I found it. It is also cheap. When you go to the page. Enter part # 8574K26 in the find part search area. You can get a 1/8'' x 12" x 12'' sheet of this for $9.00. Hell, I could make 4 of these out of the sheet. Trace it, send it thru a band saw, etc.....Done. Hope I have help out too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock