Man Fieros spin fast in snow... by sco77
Started on: 01-27-2015 12:19 AM
Replies: 9 (445 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 01-27-2015 08:58 PM
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never done 360s so fast before (in a parking lot of course), started spinning 360s while moving in one direction at about 20mph or so and was spinning like a damn spin top, got dizzy. Is it just the weight balance that makes these cars spin donuts so quickly?

Also Fieros are not that hard to drift in snow with correct throttle control.

------------------
86 Fiero GT: 3800sc/Manual, Cam/Mods.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah once they start they really go. It's the mid engine thing, like when an ice skater pulls their arms in close to their body.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes they will.

Mid Engine and the short wheel base can be a handful once the go. I had mine once years ago spin and I ended up in the south lane when I was turning north. I just pulled up to the light like nothing happened and thanked God as no one was coming.

The other issues is in the snow the nose will not always turn either.

The old Pontiac engineer was quoted to the Corevette engineer when he said the Fiero was more of a handful than a Corvette in the snow. The Pontiac engineer said Pontiac builds excitement.
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drive my fiero year round, I have had snow since Halloween time and what I do is have studded tires and 2 sand bags up front. It helps a lot but its very easy to spin out if your not driving with care. Its kinda fun in my book. At first I couldn't hold a nice drift in it but ive found these critters don't like matting the pedal or snapping off the throttle I found that feathering the throttle holds me sideways around every round about and corner. Its a blast! have fun man!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kristinagalloway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kristinagallowaySend a Private Message to kristinagallowayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
really interesting..
sicktoys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sicktoysSend a Private Message to sicktoysEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the reference to the excitement quote.
LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say that mid engine cars are a lot like a hockey puck. No real weight advantage on either front or back. I enjoy driving my car year round even in the snow. Once you get familiar with the handling characteristics of a mid engine car you can push the limits a bit more and have some fun in the snow. Here is a Fiero snow drifting video that may inspire you

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4 Pushrod with 7730 ECM and DIS
88 MERA #8313
85 Fiero SE with 3.1 pushrod
86 Fiero SE 2.8 stock

http://www.youtube.com/LostNotForgotton

CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my first winter with a Fiero and I've been loving the drive to work! It's only 6 miles, but it's a blast on a deserted street in fresh snow.

Have to be mindful of snow depth of course, but once you get used to how your car handles I prefer it to my wife's Fwd Fusion. And compared to my old 2wd pickup, I'd take the Pontiac any day of the week.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get it just right and you can make the donuts real small. Last winter po'ed a few fellow workers. We were stuck there. No work coming in. And the snow getting deeper. When we got off. A few had trouble getting out of the lot. I lived about 4 blocks away so it didn't matter. But I did a few circles around them and drove home. I did make sure they had a shovel.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock