Absolutely Amazing Fiero Transformation to Porsche Carrera by canfirst
Started on: 01-21-2015 10:04 PM
Replies: 24 (734 views)
Last post by: dobey on 01-22-2015 10:13 PM
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has got to be one of the most amazing replica conversions I have ever seen! Note, the headlights and taillights were custom made. If someone can custom make these headlights and taillights then surely someone could fabricate taillights that would fit a Fiero fastback, not necessarily the OEM design, but a taillight that would fit the OEM fastback opening. Interior is absolutely awesome as well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rep...91&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

[This message has been edited by canfirst (edited 01-22-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the car crash scene in some new movie got cancelled.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They put an awful lot of money into this, yet they kept the Fiero gauges...what were they thinking??
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An automatic? Yeah this was obviously destined to be smashed in a movie lol
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before I clicked it I said "It better not be a stock engine"... And it is, seems all these expensive and ridiculous kit cars all do nothing to the performance, all looks no go.

------------------
86 Fiero GT: 3800sc/Manual, Cam/Mods.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am surprised they didn't start out with a late model MR2. At least it would have a top.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to look up the boxter to be sure that it wasn't one of those. They really look a lot alike. I'm surprised that they didn't use a boxter as a donor when putting that much money into it. There have been several kit cars built using boxters as donor.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fast and Furious....the final chapter...

Sorry to get creepy here...but wasn't that the car? I would cancel the movie too.....
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:
Note, the headlights and taillights were custom made. If someone can custom make these headlights and taillights then surely someone could fabricate taillights that would fit a Fiero fastback, not necessarily the OEM design, but a taillight that would fit the OEM fatback opening.

There's nothing particularly special about how the headlights and tail lights are made on this car. It's just fiberglass, and the angles of the body make it easy to use lexan as a cover material. Anyone with halfway decent fiberglass skills could do it.

The angles of the fastback tail light lenses on the Fiero though, are not good for covering with lexan. You could make a fiberglass housing that doesn't have the lens cover wrap around the edges like the stock one does, and just have a flat piece of lexan to cover something on the rear, but you would probably hate it. The fastback tail lights are hard because of how they are molded. The only way to create reproduction lenses for the Fiero, is to mold new lenses in the same way the OEM were done.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 01-22-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Gall757:

Fast and Furious....the final chapter...

Sorry to get creepy here...but wasn't that the car? I would cancel the movie too.....

No. It would have an LS3 in it if it was meant for that movie. Pretty much all the cars in it have 500HP LS3s in them, except the Subarus which are all stock.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you crash a car in a movie...you don't care what engine it has.

Was the Paul Walker accident car a roadster?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-22-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

When you crash a car in a movie...you don't care what engine it has.

Was the Paul Walker accident car a roadster?

All the cars made to crash in the movie are built to crash, too. And they might not care what engine it has, but a certain level of performance is needed to perform some stunts. If they were just going to park it on a train crossing and run it over with a train, that's one thing.

The car he wrecked in was a Carerra GT, yes. I don't recall if he had the top off when he wrecked though. Given the contents of the trailer though, and the general premise of the film, I don't really see where it would fit in or why they would wreck a Carerra (fake or real).
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was that actually the name of the film? Ooops. What I was thinking about was a new movie ABOUT the accident, or at least a new movie that was going to use a Carerra.... I can see no rational reason to build a car like this, other than to use it in a movie where it's shortcomings would not be exposed. A lot of strange hardware gets built in Hollywood, and ends up never being used for one reason or another.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The name of the new movie is just Furious 7, I think, and was being filmed when he died, and was put on hiatus, but is being released to theaters this April.

I don't know if a documentary is in the works, but the wrecked car was red, so a silver one would be a bit odd, if they were going to use it to re-enact the accident.

Yeah, random things get built for movies and then sold off later. I think this one is unrelated to Paul Walker though. I wonder where they got all new OEM parts for a Fiero to make it "like new" though. Says they spent over $20K for that alone. :P
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are very big wheel spacers . For $15k is a decent look alike car except for the stance, auto, motor, dash and who knows what you can't see in low res photos. But for that price I rather buy a very low mile Fiero which I am sire will draw the same looks.
85pontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't look at it without thinking, aren't those front directional tires mounted backwards?

Bugs me.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I was trying to relay with this post is that I and probably many other sports car enthusiasts would have never guessed this Porsche Carrera lookalike was built on a Fiero platform. This just reinforces my belief about how versatile the Pontiac Fiero is. You have this Carrera at one end of the spectrum and then a Zimmer Quick Silver at the other end, neither of which have any resemblance (other than the engine and gauge cluster). Then you have all the other replica designs such as Enterra, Mera, Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Panterra's, etc., etc. It would be interesting to see how many different designs and permutations there are of the Pontiac Fiero (will start new post)?

http://pontiac-fierogt.blog...6/exotic-fieros.html
wayneman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85pontiac:

I can't look at it without thinking, aren't those front directional tires mounted backwards?

Bugs me.

Agree
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it draws inspiration from the Carrera GT, but it isn't even remotely convincing at any angle.

I think its becoming very difficult to replicate the looks of modern cars. You might be able to clone something from the 90s pretty well, but modern OEM quality is difficult to imitate without spending big money.

Not for me at all.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

No. It would have an LS3 in it if it was meant for that movie. Pretty much all the cars in it have 500HP LS3s in them, except the Subarus which are all stock.

The front of that Subaru looks a lot like a Chevy Cobalt

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:I think its becoming very difficult to replicate the looks of modern cars. You might be able to clone something from the 90s pretty well, but modern OEM quality is difficult to imitate without spending big money.

Very true. Older supercars had pretty appalling build quality. I remember a news story about a guy who bought a Diablo that literally fell apart, and footage showing him just popping interior pieces apart or showing shut lines that weren't even close. These days it's much easier to build in Lexus-like QC to everything - which of course makes it harder to build a convincing replica.

I am not inherently opposed to replicas, but I would fully expect a Porsche look-alike to also be a Porsche go-alike. Otherwise, what's the point? This is *way* more my speed:

http://broadleyautomotive.co.uk/broadley-t76-mk3b

Sadly, not even remotely approaching my budget.

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Hah! Cameo by me at 2:04 in my Subaru! I would have taken the Fiero but I had bald tires and no windshield wipers and it was pouring that night.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 01-22-2015).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks like the Kit Car inc kit
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Hah! Cameo by me at 2:04 in my Subaru! I would have taken the Fiero but I had bald tires and no windshield wipers and it was pouring that night.

Hah, nice!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock