Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Looking at my first Fiero. Need opinions please.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Looking at my first Fiero. Need opinions please. by Schertzpinball
Started on: 01-19-2015 10:55 PM
Replies: 18 (393 views)
Last post by: tshark on 01-23-2015 01:59 PM
Schertzpinball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SchertzpinballSend a Private Message to SchertzpinballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for opinions on price and possible work needed that isn't mentioned below.

Went and looked at an '85 yesterday.

It's a GT with 113K miles. It's been unregistered for 10 years and last started two years ago.

Engine was replaced and has about 60K miles on it.

Here's what I found that's needed.

E-brake had been disconnected at the rear wheels. He couldn't rememberer why.

Front clip is cracked/broken in two places.

The lift out sunroof has a slight leak.

Headliner needs replaced due to the leaking sunroof.

There's a big discolored spot on the dashboard.

The plastic "Windows" are cracked

Battery tray rusted out. No other rust was found.

The trim under the passenger door is cracked and broken.

There's no battery in the car to check any electrical functions.

The hood was stuck down due to the seal. Had to use a lot of force to unstick it. Will probably need new hood seals.

Of course fuel and coolant need changed.

It will definitely need a paint job.

Thank you,

Jason
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the price? Unless the trunk corners, upper frame rails, cradle, and floor are in fantastic shape its sounds more like a parts car. Even then you can still pick up a nice running Fiero for a steal these days.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Schertzpinball:

Looking for opinions on price and possible work needed that isn't mentioned below.

Went and looked at an '85 yesterday.

It's a GT with 113K miles. It's been unregistered for 10 years and last started two years ago.

Here's what I found that's needed.

Front clip is cracked/broken in two places.

The lift out sunroof has a slight leak.

Headliner needs replaced due to the leaking sunroof.

There's a big discolored spot on the dashboard.

The plastic "Windows" are cracked

Battery tray rusted out. No other rust was found.

The trim under the passenger door is cracked and broken.

There's no battery in the car to check any electrical functions.

The hood was stuck down due to the seal. Had to use a lot of force to unstick it. Will probably need new hood seals.

Of course fuel and coolant need changed.

It will definitely need a paint job.

Thank you,

Jason

No offence, but after reviewing the info...sounds like a 100$ car.

A fiero or a car for that matter that hasn't been inspected, or has be off the road for a long period of time, isn't worth much.

Ask the guy to have the car inspected before you buy, I'm sure he won't bother because he knows it won't pass.

Then for you its a good time to make a low offer. If not, I'd walk away.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's been unregistered for 10 years and last started two years ago.

Translation - it last started 10 years ago.

Translation - engine could have 160K on it.

Translation - emergency brakes didn't work and all brake calipers and cables are now seized.

Anyway, you probably get the idea.

You can't believe anything about a car that a seller tells you, especially a car that you can't start and test drive.

As mentioned earlier, this sounds like a $100 Fiero... and only if you're looking forward to a lot of work.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2015 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum Pin Ball!

How did you manage to write this car up twice?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/095064.html
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unregistered for 10 years? Be thankful your not in Cali. The back fees owed would be far greater than the cars worth.
One big problem with a car that has been sitting not running for that length of time, there is going to be a lot of unknowns. Fuel line/tank condition, condition of brakes, rubber & seals, length of time the engine has been sitting, etc. I wouldn't consider this car unless it was pretty darn cheap.
Oh, and take my advice: regardless of the condition, price or mileage. always take a thorough look underneath the car for dings, dents , rust , etc. The undercarriage is a tell-tale sign of how the car was treated.
Kit
Schertzpinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SchertzpinballSend a Private Message to SchertzpinballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. They will play into my decision and hopefully the seller will come down on his price after reading this post. If not, I will pass.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought an 85 2M4 that had sat for several years. I had to replace the tires, brakes, shocks, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, gas tank, coil, starter, ignition wires, valve cover gasket, clutch slave cylinder, headlight motor and the windshield. The car runs good now, I was lucky, I soaked mystery oil in each cylinder before I tried to turn it over and it worked out. The car still needs a paint job and seat covers and the other headlight motor replaced. I had a lot of fun working on the car but knowing what I know now I would buy a car that is running if I purchased again.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most definitely get a car that is running. You can get them cheap too. Its a hella lot if work to get them back up to par especially when they went taken good care of to begin with.
I am restoring a 88 coup that sat for 6 years and it is a lot of work but I do love doing it.
Not to mention mice and spiders love abandon cars.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If your looking for your first Fiero, you definitely want one in fair if not good condition. Having a mid-engine car is completely different than a front engine car. The less stuff you have to fix, the more you can upgrade the car to what you want.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing I have deduced over a few years of Fiero ownership, is that unless you really know your stuff, you would be well advised to buy a car from a well known forum member. You are far less likely to get burned on price, and far more likely to get one with major issues already resolved.
PFF
System Bot
Schertzpinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SchertzpinballSend a Private Message to SchertzpinballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've asked for opinions in a few places. There's been a wide mix of responses, but the most common one seems to be stay away if you don't know the car our Fieros.

I pose a new question now.

I understand the lack of specific Fiero knowledge, but how does that warrant the stay away factor? I've gotten into new hobbies, like I'm sure many of you have, without a lot (or any) knowledge of the subject. I've enjoyed the learning process and the fun of whatever I get in to.

I've learned to completely disassemble, clean and reassemble a pinball machine. I've also jumped in and bought a 60 year old Bentley R-Type. The mechanics and thought process of the designers of that car is very different than anything I've ever done.

So, what is so much different on a Fiero than any other car? If I proceed with the purchase, I will learn about a new type of car, I've never worked on.

How many of you bought your first Fiero with full knowledge of what you were doing? How many of you regret buying one? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Jason

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I understand the lack of specific Fiero knowledge, but how does that warrant the stay away factor?

Most people, if forewarned, would rather avoid a money-pit. We're just letting you know what you're up against. If you're looking for a challenge... go for it.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The issue that seems to come up is what I can call the Repair Surprise. Unlike something like a Bentley, Fieros were largely abused and discarded by their owners just like every other cheap American car. The low-price cars are beat up, and require much more maintenance than many new owners expected. Add to that the fact that they were not designed to be maintained 30 years later, and you get a lot of frustration by new owners. You are helping yourself in the long run if you get picky about your purchase and spend more than you planned on. We on the forum WANT new happy Fiero owners.....so if you pick up a cheap one, be advised and plan for a learning experience....
Schertzpinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SchertzpinballSend a Private Message to SchertzpinballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little off subject, but you would be surprised at how many Bentley and Rolls Royces were left in fields and barns. I found mine after sitting in a barn for 24 years. I jumped in and with the help of the Rolls Royce Club and their forum, my Bentley is now on the road.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay...you will be fine. It will be much like your Bentley experience with the following additions.

1. broken plastic tabs and fasteners
2. excessive wiring and a dumb computer
3. Vacuum lines and Sensors.
4. Rust where you can't see it.
5. Goofy headlights.

Oh...and 6. A bizarre cooling system.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-23-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't regret buying my current Fiero. My first Fiero some years ago is another story.

I didn't know much with my first Fiero. I learned, and got rid of that Fiero. An expensive learning experience. Don't get me wrong. I put about 15,000 miles on that car. It just wasn't going to be what I wanted. It was a nice-looking car. It ran nice and strong. I put $4,000 into it the first year. I just couldn't fix the oil leak, and it stranded me, and I saw tell-tale signs of rust (underside of strut towers, battery area, etc). I fixed most of the rust in the back, but couldn't bring myself to do the rest of the car.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just can't see throwing any money at a "needs everything" Fiero when you can buy "needs little" for $1500 or a "needs nothing" for $3000. Unless the car is special in some way (maybe a rebody or an unusual history), there just isn't a shortage of Fieros to choose from. Even though Fieros benefit from really cheap parts, they can literally nickel and dime you to death. There was something wrong with this car that caused it to be abandoned ten years and it hasn't stopped aging. By the time you clean out the tank and put new rubber on it, you'll be very close to a running car with at least some history.

Now, if you're *sure* you want a Fiero, this may be a good opportunity to pick up a parts car...
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have yet to see a ”needs nothing” Fiero for $3,000. Cars are probably in a different condition in CA, but they always need something. Sure, the parts may all be there, and you can drive it into the ground, but it'll need hoses, tires, sensors, vacuum lines, headliner, seat covers, steering wheel work, a battery, bulbs, brake lines, fuel lines, headlight motors, etc. It may even need a fuel pump, and the sender may be off. Probably mileage above 100K, and the console will be coming apart. The gauges may no longer be accurate. This would probably also be an '84-'86. Once purchased, yep, the repair surprise. Ball joints, control arms, shocks, bushings, etc.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock