Steering column part name? Source? by psychosurfer
Started on: 01-19-2015 07:10 PM
Replies: 6 (188 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-19-2015 09:23 PM
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rebuilding the steering column on an 88 GT and mine is missing the rod that locks the wheels in place. This is the rod, not much larger diameter than a pencil, that sticks out and goes into the slots of the lock ring to keep the wheel from being able to be turned. The thing is, I have found every part I need (easily) to rebuild the column except for this rod. Further, I cannot even find a legit source as to what it is called... not even the FSM. Any help regarding the proper name and, even better a resource to buy on would be AMAZING!

Thanks so much!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you need is one of the legendary PFF threads....

It's a mess, but all the information is still in there....but it takes a while to figure it out. It starts on page 3 with a post by TwoFatGuys.

Inside the GM tilt steering column

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-19-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't checked out the link, but I think it's called a shaft lock bolt. It doesn't have a part number in the parts book.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you! So, the part he is calling the "lock pin" is what I need. After searching the web, I still cannot find one. Any ideas regrading what else it may be called or where to find one? Thanks so much!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the thread Inside The GM Tilt Column, judging by the intricacy and difficulty of diss-assembly and reassembly, I'd just try to find another column and swap out the column.

There's an 85GT stick shift over at the Atlanta North pullapart, but I don't remember the condition of the column.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-19-2015).]

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BOLT. Steering Shaft Lock. Steering Column Housing. PIN. BEARING. Steering Column. Steering Shaft Lock Plate. (Anti - Theft). 07808613

We have always known as the lock pin. This pin was the same in every Saganaw column I have ever had apart with tilt, without telescoping column, with out air bag. Best source I can think of is have a dealer check for old stock. Nally Gm seems to have a decent stock for a current dealer. Use their parts look up to get the number. Use another car as a starter to look up. Something more popular. RWD Malibu? (checked the same number as Malibu and Nally is showing a price normally means they have one.)
Had both my wife's 2001 Lumina and mine apart last year. Besides the different lenth. The only differences were the Wiper switch cover, Larger wiring hole for the air bag/Vats, The lower shell, on the tree shifter. and the lenth of the shell behind the steering wheel. A little deeper and would expect the top shaft and locking pin were also longer to make up the distance. Every thing else from the steel tube up could have been installed in my column. Also look for people chucking them. Many just get another column when the lower bolts come loose or sheer off the main tube. What a waste. Might be possible to use one of the later ones with airbag but you would have to check the lenth. I don't think they changed the diameter of the pin. (checked that, yea different number, but were some same numbers)
Odd this is one of those parts that didn't seem ever to have to replace unless the car was stolen a few times. And someone "tried" to break the locking ring causing a ridge/bend on the pin that would keep it from locking. Several insurance redoes over that one. Until the thieves got smart enough to break the plastic wiper switch cover and just pop off the plastic rack gear.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 01-19-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nalley Chevrolet is located out here in Lawrenceville, just south on Hwy 124. Take 316 to Sugarloaf, then to Scenic Hwy 124. Turn right and it's a half mile on the right.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock