Fiero 2.8 fuel problem by dthami22
Started on: 01-17-2015 06:53 PM
Replies: 3 (126 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 01-18-2015 01:38 PM
dthami22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dthami22Send a Private Message to dthami22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok. i have a strange problem but i know it is related to fuel. i have a 2.8 that runs great once its started. idles great, drives great, great power, etc. it will start up with no problem if it has been sitting for a day or several hours. however, if i drive it, turn it off, and then try to start it in less than 30-60 minutes i can't get it started. i thought this was because the engine was getting flooded from leaky injector but it doesn't look like the case. i pulled off the air cleaner and ran the engine for 30 minutes then tried to start it after 10 minutes off. sure enough it wouldn't start. so then i sprayed starting fluid and it started right up. so what in the heck is happening to my fuel delivery for starting after the engine is warm? doesn't make any sense to me. it runs great after its started but doesn't want to start up with in 30 minutes of the engine running HELP!!!

[This message has been edited by dthami22 (edited 01-17-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it sounds like your fuel pump. When a fuel pump starts to reach the end of its life, it will usually fail when it gets hot. And by that i mean it works fine when you first start it up and go for a drive. BUT, drive for 20 minutes or so (the pump heats up) make a quick stop and then it wont restart .....because the dieing fuel pump has overheated. Give it 20-30 minutes to cool off and it'll probably restart and the cycle repeats. Eventually the pump will fail completly so replace it now while your car is in the driveway. its a pain in the ass but you can do it yourself in an afternoon...... but if it's your first time droping the tank give yourself a day/weekend just to be safe.
Edit to add. the worst part is connecting/disconnecting the 2 hoses from the fuel delivery pipe/vent, the rest is cake.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 01-17-2015).]

crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's also obviously easier with less fuel in the tank. My pump conveniently went out right after I filled my tank. This has happened on two different vehicles, what are the odds? Anyways, good luck.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They might be right but I would buy a cheap fuel pressure guage before I went thru that much work. I thought I had a fuel pump problem on a 31 gallon tank once, I won't assume that again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock