Started on: 01-16-2015 12:54 PM
Replies: 13 (306 views)
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 01-19-2015 01:07 PM
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a v8 Fiero.

I put snows on all 4 corners. Last year I ran with 100lbs of weight in the front. This year I left the weight out and no problems.

Of course I have the rear anti-sway so it doesn't generally plow on corners.

It's like a little tractor with the v8 and snows. I do watch not to get hung up on hard cake, but so far it is working well.

Of course it is oiled up underneath and the coolant is heavily fortified.

Arn

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I honestly don't know why people think the Fiero would be so horrible in the winter. I drove mine for the first winter I had it (only winter it's ever seen), put winter tires on all four corners and thought it was one of the best (if not the best) cars I've ever driven in the winter.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had to laugh.......you want to plow my driveway?
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always keep a set of chains in my yellow GT for the tough stuff.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the ruff gets going the tuff gets ruff and snows get icy and stuff. Drive a Fiero in the snow???
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love driving my fiero in the snow with snow tires.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I love driving my fiero in the snow with snow tires.

Looks like your on a frozen lake to me.
Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you guys talking about a strictly "snow" tire?
Or the mud/snows.
What's the tread pattern look like?
I'd like to drive my fiero in snow but haven't because the P.O. said his experience was it spins-out easily.
(87 notch with duke & automatic)
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove all my Fieros year round, even in blizzards. All just had all season tires. I never got stuck anywhere. I take it back, I did have a hard time once getting mine and Fiero Lisas car out of a storage garage. There was a 4' snowdrift across the front of the door. They just wouldnt bust thru it...I tried.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actual snows. Tigerpaw

Originally posted by Michiganman:

Or the mud/snows.
I'd like to drive my fiero in snow but haven't because the P.O. said his experience was it spins-out easily.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the fiero I have 205/75R-14 firestone winterforce. After getting snow tires for the fiero I was so impressed that any vehicle I get for the rest of my life will have a dedicated winter tire setup. This year for my blazer I got a set of hankook winter i-pike. The only bad thing is getting frustrated driving around traffic when it gets snowy. You just want people to get the hell out of your way.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 01-18-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think most people that say Fieros suck in the snow either have terrible tires or generally cant drive (rwd) in the snow. They are above average in the snow compared to similar sized cars.

------------------
86 Fiero GT: 3800sc/Manual, Cam/Mods.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michiganman:

Or the mud/snows.

I ran winter tires on 2 Fieros here in the land of snow. I also run winter tires are most vehicles. One vehicle runs them year around. They make a world of difference on any car. I am not talking mud/snow tires, but winter tires. I could get stuck in the driveway, on a patch of ice, with all-seasons, in the Fiero, but with winter tires, no such issues, except for deep packed snow, which would bottom out any vehicle.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run 205/70/14 Winter-fire snow tires on my Fiero in winter, and I concur the biggest issue I have in winter is screaming at all the other cars to get the hell out of my way. The Fiero is an Amazing winter car so long as you have a GOOD suspension setup. If you have the tires either toe'd in or out too far the second you hit ICE the car goes into a nearly uncontrollable slide. If you have the toe set to near Zero, I have never had an issue. That goes for both my lowered 85GT 4.9 5spd or my lowered 88GT 2.8 5spd. I have not driven the V8 in the snow since I installed the 6 puck clutch and frankly I think its going to be a bit of a handful as the clutch engagement is so quick, its going to break the tires loose no matter what I do. To be honest I am really thinking about selling the 88GT to someone that will treat it a little more kindly than I do. Its a rare Canadian issue Yellow 88GT one of I think 20 and probably one of 5-10 left on the road. Then buy myself a few more upgrades to the V8 and pick up cheaper 87SE 5spd as a more commuter friendly Fiero.

To those that don't think Fiero's drive in the snow, I have one short video, or several long ones. Here is the short one. http://captfiero.com/videos/mycar/snowinthe88.wmv

I have several running around at 70+mph in the snow on the highway. Just zipping along, changing lanes to avoid other slower moving cars. As long as you drive with your head in the game, ready to catch a rough patch before it turns into an out of control slide, Fiero's are great. I have had Fiero's as my daily drivers for 20 years now. (holy crap, it just dawned on me its been 20 years, damn I am old) Every winter. My first set of winter tires were studded rear and stock all season on the front. Car was great starting and stopping, but obviously crap for turning. When I got Non Studded on all 4 corners I was amazed at how well it was. Ended up giving my studded tires away.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics For Sale $4000, Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock