Mustange hood louvers by fieroboy_gt
Started on: 01-10-2015 11:52 PM
Replies: 19 (809 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-17-2015 09:22 AM
fieroboy_gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has anyone ever put a set of these on the fieros hood ? i was gonna use like a 2 inch hood cowl cause i have too do something to Suck this hot air out of the big radiator i have but i saw a mustang an thought i wonder what those would look like in a fiero hood
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where would you plan to put vents that length?

Remember, it's a rather shallow area between the rad and the front of the spare tire compartment.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pretty much have a huge open compartment under the front for my car to acomidate the giant radiator i have . i prob should have mentioned that my cars not stock
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroboy_gt

324 posts
Member since Mar 2007

Thats what Im working with for space
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What the heck is powering your Fiero that requires that much cooling capacity?????
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 454
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroboy_gt:

I have a 454

I looked it up. Nice.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't comment on the Mustang vents, but from the layout, there isn't going to be much airflow through the radiator with it at that angle. The air will be like a rock skipping across a pond. Without airflow through the rad it will become a heat sink rather than a heat exchanger. Personally, I think you'd be better off with a wider, less tall radiator that's more upright, but if you're determined to keep the current layout, then putting a shroud in front of the radiator to redirect the air upwards and through it rather than allowing it to escape around the sides of it would be a big help.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that's a very old picture. I just didn't have any that are recent of the radiator there is a big air damn now in place that funnels air up threw the radiator while the car is in motion . I have a big hole cut out of the hood so the moving air can escape from under the hood. I was connaught cover the hood with a cowl but thought that these might look pretty cool instead an still relive under hood pressure and hot air
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW. That radiator is bigger than the one in my 454 powered motorhome....Ill guess its fun to drive.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-11-2015 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
What the heck is powering your Fiero that requires that much cooling capacity?????

This. That looks like someone didn't understand the Fiero cooling system or air flow, when building it. The only way I see that being able to keep the car cool is by sheer luck of the fact that it is so huge and has two full Fiero shrouds and fans sitting on top of it. But even cruising on the highway, it looks like the fans would need to be running constantly to keep the temperature regulated, due to the huge disturbance in air flow created under the front of the car.

Is the engine running ridiculous compression, or running a bit lean? I don't see why a normal Champion 3-core radiator designed to fit in the stock Fiero radiator location, couldn't keep a 454 cool, especially if it's running ~9:1 compression and the right air/fuel mixture. If it can keep a supercharged LS7 running at the right temps, it can work for a big block.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sell these if you're interested:

http://www.embraceracing.co...ecvent.php?e=0,3,9#0

It's a decent surface area. If you wanted two they might look pretty cool one behind the other. I could give you a deal on a pair

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-11-2015).]

fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I have absolutly no cooling issues . I run a 165 thermostat and on a hot summer day never get warmer then 190 200 max. I have a air shroud that I made out of fiberglass that redirects the air threw the radiator . Before I had cut the hole in the hood the Temps were considerably higher . I use to just leave the hood un latched so the air would flow threw an out but I had the hood pop up one time an stay latched on me while I was drag racing someone so I cut a hole in it. The cooling system works very well now. There were issues at first yes but they have now all been worked out the system is rather massive . But very functionable.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
saw this on craigslist

if anyone wants the picture, they better save it/re-upload it because its on craigslist, so it will go away pretty quick.

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 01-14-2015).]

fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL i thought i had a original idea lol. I dont know , if they were mounted flush and glassed in they would look i think pretty sharp . its either these or late 70s trans am fender scoops .
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's also the Lumina Z34 hood vents: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-1-051266.html

And plenty of people have done the Sunbird Turbo hood vents on the Fiero, as they fit nicely in the forward section of the hood between the headlights.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2015 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't directing the air flow up create undesired lift? Hood vents help address this, and I guess it's better than the factory drag of an upright radiator.

I saw a Fiero with the ”radiators” in the back, behind side scoops. Only a small block V8 engine, but it seemed to cool OK.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 01-14-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
Wouldn't directing the air flow up create undesired lift? Hood vents help address this, and I guess it's better than the factory drag of an upright radiator.

I saw a Fiero with the ”radiators” in the back, behind side scoops. Only a small block V8 engine, but it seemed to cool OK.

Pressure build-up under the hood creates lift, yes. Hood vents, and vents into the wheel well help address this. Remember, the factory radiator installation isn't quite vertical. Drag is created by turbulence more than pressure. Removing the entire front bucket to install horizontal radiators does create more drag. Hood vents also help with this. Radiators in general create extra drag, when it isn't necessary to have air flowing through them.

Several Lambo replicas have radiators in the rear, particularly the tube chassis kits, with the BMW V12. If it takes such a huge radiator to keep a carbed 454 cool, then something is wrong with the cooling system. But whatever works and makes one happy, I guess.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can say that there is a serious lift at like 130 mph before i cut a hole in the hood. now its a lot better . as for the size of the radiator . i believe in better safe then sorry . why have what will just cover your needs when you can go above an beyond an make sure that nothing ever goes wrong. once all the air pressure was bleed out of the system this cooling system has been a champ . if you think the radiators too big you should see the cooling tubes LOL. But on a positive note I just got off the phone with V8 Archie im now getting a Hatchback made . Im Soooooooooo over joyed. an i think i changed my mind on the vents im gonna do 4 firebird fender vents
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 2 row champion radiator for a 4 cyl auto Fiero kept my 383 stroker cool very well with a 160* stat too. Never ever got hot. It did not have a/c.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock