'87 GT Value by cshults
Started on: 01-10-2015 03:22 PM
Replies: 23 (730 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 01-13-2015 04:07 PM
cshults

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Trying to determine the value of an '87 GT, 5-Speed, with 111K miles that I would use as a recreational car for pleasure drives on nice days.

Paint: Very Good,some very small chips on the front, however I would say the paint doesn't need any work at all, a very very nice 5 footer.
Interior: Very good, no rips in the seats, no warping on the various center console segments, no stains on the carpet, no cracks in the dash, steering wheel and shift knob leather both in excellent shape.
Wheels: Great shape, original, no curb rash
Engine bay: Exceptionally clean, no rust under carpet in trunk area
Undercarriage: Clean, no rust
Under hood: Clean, has original spare
Tires: Good, correct sizes, and have probably 70% tread left
Tail lights: Good, minor de-lamination
Headlights: Both operate well
Quarter glass: Good shape, some small spider cracks, but nothing that needs addressing
Updated shocks and struts, but not new

Cons:
A/C doesn't work, not sure the extent of repair that it would need.
Original clutch, never been replaced/repaired. Assuming that with the age and mileage it would need repair replacement soon.

According to the Paul V. price guide it should go for about $3250-$3400, however the owner is asking nearly double that. My budget for another toy right now is about $3800, I want something clean and that needs nothing and this car fits that bill. It's been for sale for awhile now, but the owner is in no rush to sell, doesn't need the money, just doesn't need the car anymore either.

I know it's very hard to put a figure on a car you haven't seen, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's worth what you're willing to pay for it. That price guide is a good reference.

My opinion is that the seller is high on asking price. Add up clutch, fluids, etc. You'll need to figure those into your costs of buying the car. Yes, it would be nice if our cars were worth what some people think they're worth. I've seen Fieros that weren't very nice sell for double or more what I paid for mine, and cars nicer than mine sell for less. Maintaining a Fiero may retain value, but does not increase the price.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might take some heat here but in my opinion it is way overpriced. To me it is way too much for an 87. You can find 86 - 87 GT's all day long (within a couple hours drive) for half what the seller is asking in similar condition and mileage. An 88 in that condition MIGHT fetch what he is asking. In my experience the 88's are the only year that continues to hold that kind of value and marketability. Rust free cars are not unusual here in Sacramento. Nice paint is a real plus but the fact that it has the original clutch is a major deduction for me. Also that non-op A/C is a for-sure expense for any car in a Sacramento summer. Probably will need to be converted to R134 as well. Probably another 200 - 300 bucks. A nice interior and crack-free dash is very desirable but does not come close to raising the value to that degree. Those tail lights will continue to delaminate and are very pricey when you can even find a decent pair. My GT is my daily driver, so although I always park it in the garage I always make a point to park facing south (keeping the tail lights out of direct sunlight) and use a good quality sunshade to protect the dash when I take it to work 5 days a week.

Not shilling for anyone here (It's very near where I live but I've not seen the car) but I would point out that there is an 88GT for sale in Rocklin with less mileage and some nice attributes for $3000. It's yellow and an automatic so may not what you are looking for but I have always liked the sporty yellow, and at my age, and lacking power steering, I prefer the automatic.

http://sacramento.craigslis.../cto/4835608265.html

There is white Formula (which are all 88's), in Santa Cruz. It's got 95K miles a manual tranny and a brand new clutch priced at $4500. I've always liked the Formula and would love to park one next to my GT someday!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org.../cto/4826781896.html

Good luck with whatever you decide! Put up some pics. Maybe we can meet up some time.

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rsvl-Rider

1219 posts
Member since Feb 2014
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT - $2500 (san jose south)

86k miles, converted A/C, auto, new tires.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org.../cto/4838025303.html
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cshults:

'87 GT, 5-Speed, with 111K miles

Original clutch, never been replaced/repaired. Assuming that with the age and mileage it would need repair replacement soon.

According to the Paul V. price guide it should go for about $3250-$3400, however the owner is asking nearly double that.

You absolutely need to factor the cost of a clutch replacement into the price of any Fiero. It isn't an "easy" or inexpensive repair. Around here, an '87 GT which needs a clutch could be had for less than a thousand dollars.

The guy selling the Fiero you're inquiring about is dreaming if he thinks he's going to get $6000 or so.

cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rvsl-Rider, thanks for your insights, basically confirms my thoughts, but for some reason it seems many fieros on Craigslist, eBay, autotrader, etc are being priced FAR above what any price guide says which is what made me question the guides. Also, thanks for the links, I've seen those ads too. The 86 GT is tempting as I do like the white/tan combo, but I have my heart set on a manual as my other weekend driver is an automatic. My favorite color combo is black over silver with a tan interior - had a lead on a nice one here in Sacramento a couple years ago, owner didn't like my offer but heard he ended up actually selling for less some months later... anyhow, the right one will come along eventually and I'll be part of the Fiero family! I'd be up for meeting up sometime, I also ride an 07 R6s, maybe we can hit the twisties sometime..
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cshults

48 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Originally posted by Patrick:

You absolutely need to factor the cost of a clutch replacement into the price of any Fiero. It isn't an "easy" or inexpensive repair. Around here, an '87 GT which needs a clutch could be had for less than a thousand dollars.

The guy selling the Fiero you're inquiring about is dreaming if he thinks he's going to get $6000 or so.

Seems like many sellers are dreaming with a lot of the prices I've seen lately. What does a clutch replacement cost these days? I've never had to do any major transmission work on any car I've owned..

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What does a clutch replacement cost these days? I've never had to do any major transmission work on any car I've owned.

I don't pay a shop to do these tasks for me... but after doing a tranny swap on an '84, and replacing the clutch on an '88, I know it's time consuming (especially the first time).

I would guess that a shop would charge $1000 or more.

I am aware that a lot of shops won't even touch this job in a Fiero.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seems like many sellers are dreaming with a lot of the prices I've seen lately. What does a clutch replacement cost these days? I've never had to do any major transmission work on any car I've owned..

I would agree with Patrick. I've heard $1000 to $1500. On the other hand it might still be cheaper than the price of a good quality paint job if you were to find another mechanically sound car at a fair price but with the typical peeling / fading paint issues. Finding the car that meets all your needs for condition and color will probably only get harder so you might consider the trade-offs.

Lots of those overpriced cars on ebay and autotrader, etc have been listed and relisted many times. When on ebay click to show only "completed listings". It will show sold cars and what they went for and also the ones that ended without a sale. That's where you will see the separation between reality and wishful thinking.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 01-11-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a note, but some of the cars for sale are just so the owner can tell his wife that he's trying to sell. He has no intention of actually selling. On the other hand, if someone showed up with 3 times what your car was worth, you might sell.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some will put a high price on a car just to see if someone will buy it. I have an 87 GT, bought new, with 151,000 miles on the clock. I keep it stored covered in my garage.

I have driven this car all over the country. This photo was up in Colorado in 2012 (forest fires in the background). Mine has had new seats, new clutch , and has been well maintained but I have no plans to sell it.

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a nice '86. It was unique. It wasn't for sale at all. I was offered more than I had in it, more than it was worth, more than double the price for one in excellent condition. I sold.

Now, I'm trying to do some of those things on my '88. I know why the guy paid so much for my '86.

The '86 came with things I can't duplicate for my '88. I found the place that made some of the things. They dug a few out of somewhere (and were happy to sell them), but others I can't get without an order of 1000 or more (they still had the plans and tools). Some, they don't have the plans or tools, and won't make. I got a few parts from people or the junkyard, but now I have to get the rest of the parts made.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish you lived closer to Vegas. I'm going to sell my '87 GT 2.8 5 speed. Found out I'm just to big(old) to easily get in/out
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

Wish you lived closer to Vegas. I'm going to sell my '87 GT 2.8 5 speed. Found out I'm just to big(old) to easily get in/out

It's always worth the plane ticket to get the right Fiero.
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

You have a PM
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that original cars are becoming more prized. My 87 GT was a clean 130,000 mile example. I paid 4,000 at a used car dealership. I think it was worth every penny. Even so it is a fortune to get it to 100 percent original. Ie tiny scratch in the sail, needed a new trunk seal, spare rear taillights just in case, replace switches that were worn, new tires, replace worn seat. And this car was about 90 percent as new. If you are a fanatic about condition and everything working it ain't cheap! My prior car was more original and lower miles but it had sat outside. This one has wear and tear issues but having been garaged makes all the difference. Again, worth every penny.

JJ
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JJFieroFan:

I think that original cars are becoming more prized. My 87 GT was a clean 130,000 mile example. I paid 4,000 at a used car dealership. I think it was worth every penny. Even so it is a fortune to get it to 100 percent original. Ie tiny scratch in the sail, needed a new trunk seal, spare rear taillights just in case, replace switches that were worn, new tires, replace worn seat. And this car was about 90 percent as new. If you are a fanatic about condition and everything working it ain't cheap! My prior car was more original and lower miles but it had sat outside. This one has wear and tear issues but having been garaged makes all the difference. Again, worth every penny.

JJ

I definitely don't disagree with you, JJ. I'd be happy to pay $4000 at a dealership for a car that is the color I want, clean, mechanically sound, but may need the things you described. I don't expect a show car for this price range, but it should be a nice clean car that doesn't need anything major (paint, major mechanical repairs, upholstery) and I do expect to have to replace some things like you mentioned, buy some spare parts, etc..but those are more minor things that can be done over time in small chunks. What I don't get is the private sellers that are hoping to get $2k+ more than you paid at a dealership for a car in similar condition..

For the car I described above, while it is a great car, the A/C doesn't work - the owner said it "just needed a charge", unlikely, most likely has a leak and the compressor burned out, chalk up at least an $800 repair. It also has the original clutch with 111k miles, can't really deduct value for the clutch because it runs fine, doesn't slip, but it is a concern. I offered the guy $3250 (I probably would have gone up to $4000) but he wants more than $2k more than my offer...Eventually maybe he'll come down if he truly wants to sell the car, it has been for sale for several months and I think he originally had it listed for closer to $7000..

In the meantime, the search continues..

[This message has been edited by cshults (edited 01-12-2015).]

cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cshults

48 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Originally posted by Old Lar:

Some will put a high price on a car just to see if someone will buy it. I have an 87 GT, bought new, with 151,000 miles on the clock. I keep it stored covered in my garage.

Very nice car, OL!
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree it is a huge difference buying it from a private seller. My car had no warranty, but they had gone over it mechanically. It was as is though, and I almost walked away because of that. Keep looking!
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, I love my Fiero but I'd be very tempted to sell it for six grand. I think realistically it's worth $3k-$4k - and definitely not worth it to me to sell it for that. I've been entertaining the idea as I finally finished rebuilding my XR4Ti and two '80s sporty cars is realistically probably one too many. Whatevs.

Be patient - Fieros seem to come and go in waves on CL, and it may just be a lull. The right car will show up at some point.
fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it has original clutch, it hasn't been driven very hard, sounds like car has been well taken care of, a good thing.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try http://www.nadaguides.com

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NADA is not accurate, anymore. Ever since the taxpayer cash for junkers program, those guides are off.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2015 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It says my 1990 Saab SPG is worth twelve grand. I hope it is! :P

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock