Started on: 01-02-2015 01:57 AM
Replies: 62 (1526 views)
Last post by: tshark on 02-13-2015 10:46 AM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RED87SE:

I have an 87 SE (iron duke) with the Isuzu 5 speed. I get 35+ MPG hwy and 30 street/hwy.

When I had my 88 coupe 2.5 5 speed I could get on trips on summer gas 38 1/2 . Running around town 28-32. Winter gas it dropped 3-4 mpg.
IP: Logged
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

87 Mera with turbo 3.4 pushrod (25-26 MPG with a 272 cam)

87 Mera with stock 3800 SC Series II engine and 3.4 pulley (around 25 mpg but I really cannot tell much until it stops eating fuel pumps)

88 Mera with 3800 SC Series III with IC, N* tv, VS cam, TOG Headders, and 3.4 pulley (25-26 mpg)

88 Mera with fuel injected 383 (have not driven it enough to establish a road trip mpg but I am hoping for 17 or so mpg)

A 3.8SC fiero should be getting up to 30 on the high way. I own a 2000 GTP with the 3.8SC and it can get up to 30 on the high way easily at 80MPH.

None the less, if or when you decide to sell a Mera, let me know
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

A 3.8SC fiero should be getting up to 30 on the high way. I own a 2000 GTP with the 3.8SC and it can get up to 30 on the high way easily at 80MPH.

None the less, if or when you decide to sell a Mera, let me know

The mpg on my modified 2006 GTP engine is certainly affected by the cam and other performance components installed as well as the tune. My vehicle is a bit on the rich side with a very conservative tune and certainly has some performance components and/or enhancements. I would like to see 30 mpg on one of my cars but do not think that it will ever happen.

BTW, I would happily sell at least one of the Meras if you have an adequate amount of cash available. Let me know if you are really interested. Both the listed PFF e-mail address and PMs work for me and I check them somewhat regularly.

Nelson
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possible Mera ownership change? Not my thing to own, but nice to see & to know they exist.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Obviously not a secret, but not necessarily common knowledge, either.

I have posted pictures of all of them from time to time on PFF. Let me know if you would like to see some photos and I can accommodate you. BTW, two are finished as show cars, one is about 80% complete, and one is somewhere around 50%. All are mechanically and electrically sound but the unfinished ones need paint, body, or interior work.

Nelson
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Links to build threads with pics would be nice, but don't go through a lot of effort. I just like to see what people are doing.

There is a guy nearby with a nice Mera. It probably looks about the same as when recently from the factory, with 2 small non-stock items. The problem is that show cars look BETTER than factory.

My Fiero looks good (I think) for a 27-year old car. I saw several Fieros that were certainly no nicer than mine, but were in the car show. Then there are the Fieros that are posted as ”mint condition” or ”complete restoration” that look comparable to mine. For $20K, I could fix all the little things I don't like.

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Links to build threads with pics would be nice, but don't go through a lot of effort. I just like to see what people are doing.

There is a guy nearby with a nice Mera. It probably looks about the same as when recently from the factory, with 2 small non-stock items. The problem is that show cars look BETTER than factory.

My Fiero looks good (I think) for a 27-year old car. I saw several Fieros that were certainly no nicer than mine, but were in the car show. Then there are the Fieros that are posted as ”mint condition” or ”complete restoration” that look comparable to mine. For $20K, I could fix all the little things I don't like.

It takes me so much time to complete a restoration (4 plus years on average) that I really do not have a build thread. I have some individual photos and do have a thread on PFF dedicated to the installation of an Amida F355 interior into my 88 t-top Mera along with soundproofing, a rear camera, 7" pop up screen, NAV system, and an auto dimming rear view mirror.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083377.html

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 01-09-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! No wonder it takes 4 years!
Doober

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a side note, if you run more octane than required in an engine (i.e. 91 in an engine that only needs 87), it won't make as much power (likely negligible), and mpg will possibly be slightly lower... probably not much to see a huge difference on, but if you're going for max mpg, use the lowest possible octane, it will burn a little faster and will help with torque.

My last job was about 1/2 in-town, but there weren't many stop lights, I was in the mid 20s driving like a madman, if I baby it and shift under 2500rpm I hit 30 one time, this was in-town (stock '87 2.8/5-speed). I have yet to get a good highway number.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the accumulated results from my three Fieros. Very little city driving, mostly highway or secondary roads. 87 octane.
Very little winter driving (none when roads are wet and salty); mostly in the Niagara Falls to Toronto region.

'84 SE 2.5L 4 speed purchased new; now 367,115 kilometers; used 31,245 liters.
8.5 liters per 100 kilometers; 33.6 miles per imperial gallon or 27.6 miles per American gallon.

'86 2.5L 5 speed purchased 2011 with 107,016 kilometers; now 125,801 kilometers; used 1,457.3 liters.
('87 2.5L engine swapped in at 119,665 - no change noticed in consumption...)
7.8 liters per 100 kilometers; 36.4 miles per imperial gallon or 30.3 miles per American gallon.

'88 Formula 2.8L 5 speed purchased 2008 with 5,200 kilometers; now 26,591 kilometers; used 1,900.3 liters.
8.9 liters per 100 kilometers; 31.6 miles per imperial gallon or 26.3 miles per American gallon.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get about 8 In the 454
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very nice! No wonder it takes 4 years!

Full time "C" level position and numerous trips working/living out of the US also contributed to the time frame. Now that I am semiretired I am still traveling a fair amount but obviously do not have my former income so the restoration time may not change much for the remaining cars.

Nelson
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

3800SC 4 Speed City driving only. Lots of smiles. I get about 120 miles, then the tank runs dry.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybug56:

3800SC 4 Speed City driving only. Lots of smiles. I get about 120 miles, then the tank runs dry.

Smiles decreases miles
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 GT w/4.9 and 4t60E gat an averge 24 Hwy and city. Was getting 29 before Katrina. All 3 cars dropped 5 miles per gallon after Kattrina.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spirit:

86 GT w/4.9 and 4t60E gat an averge 24 Hwy and city. Was getting 29 before Katrina. All 3 cars dropped 5 miles per gallon after Kattrina.

???
GreenPlatypus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
47 mpg on the highway. 35 in the city. I take it easy on the old girl, the MR2 is getting a little old.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spirit:

Clearly, Bush's fault.

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GreenPlatypus:
47 mpg on the highway. 35 in the city. I take it easy on the old girl, the MR2 is getting a little old.

Er. So you're swapping that drivetrain into a Fiero?
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On last years round trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Frazee, MN via some round about routes, a total of about 2800 miles, my stock '88GT averaged 30 MPG.

------------------
1988 GT
Medium Red Metallic
Manual, Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs & StuWipes

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing. Doesn't use a drop of gas...
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vernon8360:

On last years round trip from Pittsburgh, PA to Frazee, MN via some round about routes, a total of about 2800 miles, my stock '88GT averaged 30 MPG.

Manual or auto?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by RayOtton:
Clearly, Bush's fault.

Did you mean Cheney?

I'm sorry, but Bush II was a great fall guy. I think he lived in a world of surprise. Modern-day Erkle. He was probably beginning to think he was being made to look like a---ahem!--fool. What was that he said about turning on the spigots?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock