Led running lights by Imnuts
Started on: 12-25-2014 04:12 AM
Replies: 16 (774 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-03-2015 01:47 PM
Imnuts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to find posts for information on these cool daytime running lights. I hope there is a build thread it would be a nice project for the winter.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the above image is a photoshop concept.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

I think the above image is a photoshop concept.

Yup. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128333.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a little bit of research in makin this mod available to the community. After much cutting and fiberglassing, these cannot be done to look proper. The front of the lids have the same V angle as the hood and the depth of this lid makes it impossible to shine the LEDs forward like in the concept picture. I would of loved to make these available but there is alot of the front fascia that needs to be cut out making this upgrade not very user friendly. Also there is the issue of the raised lights you would need some type of switch to turn them off when in the up position. In the concept picture to get the LEDs to shine forward you would need to cut the lids around 3 inches back this would remove the down lip postion that has the rubber stoppers.... this concept will not work unless ALOT of modifying is done.

regards
Danyel
------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 12-25-2014).]

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I have be thinking about getting a spare set of lids and trying this but I guess now I will just dream about it like many other mods I wish I could do.

------------------
∇PONTIAC∇

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Imnuts:

Thanks for the info. I have be thinking about getting a spare set of lids and trying this...

You wouldn't want them on the lids - they'd be pointing at the moon when the lights are "up".

You'd want to modify the hood/fascia too and mount the LEDs so that they will still be below the headlight when they're on.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-28-2014).]

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If was to mount them in the lids I would have them switch off when the head lights were on.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have thought about putting led drls on the front edge of the side view mirrors. If I could figure out a way to recess them or find mirrors for another car that already had the lights I would do it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Top picture won't work.
You are looking down at the LED...
Go look at front of car at same height as HL closed. Even if you mod door the LED won't show. You likely need to major mod the door and/or hood.

Two big Problems for any mod are:
  • The OE HL assem and bulb just clears the hood then doors are opening/closing.
  • HL bulb bottom edge just clears hood when full open and IF HL assem are adjusted to full up for the 4 mount bolts on wall. IF NOT adjusted then you loose light from hitting the hood. Behaves as barn-door for lighting photo/theater work.
    Example: See my Cave, Headlights bottom picture to aiming HL. ~1/2" of bottom of bulb just lights up the hood.

DRL on the doors?
    Likely need to wire so is off when HL are on.

Either Could still have problem w/ cops or state inspections.

Originally posted by Csjag:
    I have thought about putting led drls on the front edge of the side view mirrors. If I could figure out a way to recess them or find mirrors for another car that already had the lights I would do it.

That won't pass in many states. There are rules for DRL.
    DRL and others higher then HL assem is a ticket magnet in many states. DRL on mirrors likely big target for cops.

------------------
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
    (Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

• IP: Logged
    Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Not sure if you are right, the Subaru BRZ comes with drl's in the side mirrors.
    theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure if you are right, the Subaru BRZ comes with drl's in the side mirrors.

Subaru pictures show no front lights on the mirror. I've check 3 years of that model.
    http://www.subaru.com/vehic...z/photos-videos.html

Several others site shows DRL on and is below HL, just above fog/driving lights.
    Example MotorTrend
    CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Mirror light, front and/or rear facing, are turn signal only.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-30-2014).]

PFF
    System Bot
    Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Subaru pictures show no front lights on the mirror. I've check 3 years of that model.
    http://www.subaru.com/vehic...z/photos-videos.html

Several others site shows DRL on and is below HL, just above fog/driving lights.
    Example MotorTrend
    CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Mirror light, front and/or rear facing, are turn signal only.

Sorry, my mistake, I found side mirrors on Ebay for the Subaru with drl's in them, I thought they were oem replacements.

randye

Feedback score: (1)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
    Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    My DRLs

//images.fiero.nl/2010/DSC_0350_2.JPG

//images.fiero.nl/2010/DSC_0356_4.JPG

Wow, I just realized that I did these almost 5 years ago!

I eventually replaced the LEDs above the stock parking lights.

------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 12-30-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, my mistake, I found side mirrors on Ebay for the Subaru with drl's in them, I thought they were oem replacements.
    Sadly Ebay, Amazon, and others, sell many lighting parts that are Illegal in many states.

Originally posted by randye:
    My DRLs
    CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Top picture could be confuse w/ driving/fog lights. If they do, Cops could stop you in many states because Low beam HL are off.
    Bottom DLR like this can be problems... LED could hid turn lights for other drivers to see. (Your LED are dim but others could brighter LED) Is why some car's OEM DRL turn off DLR on side when turn light are active.
    mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
    Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Seems like the way to do it without too many other mods would be to cut the lids back enough to install them on the front edge of the lid. And of course have them off-switched when the headlights are up. It might look hideous in practice too. Surely it could be done well enough by someone.

BTW, that nose-down GTO fascia looks good. The PPG cars have a nose-down at the front edge also. The nose-back or nose-up that was being worked on here would've looked okay too, and probably more like what Pontiac would have done. I prefer the down appearance.
    Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Ogre you are correct, I saw a Dodge Charger yesterday that was signaling a turn and the drl was off on the side that the turn signal was flashing on. Blacktop racing switchback lights could be a solution?
    theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2015 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ogre you are correct, I saw a Dodge Charger yesterday that was signaling a turn and the drl was off on the side that the turn signal was flashing on. Blacktop racing switchback lights could be a solution?

Sadly no.
    "Switchback" LED are in my Cave, LED poisoning
    that section covers some issues but not all.
    Example: Fiero Park/Turn fixture is label DOT 1P etc and means "Front Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Lamps" and "Parking Lamps-Attention"
    (DOT label codes covered Lighbulbs )
    If aftermarket lenses are missing DOT labels or label is Bogus by using switchback LED then can cause others issues.
    Related issue is Side marker w/o DOT markings in Upgrade HL thread... //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/000004.html#p12 //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/000004.html#p30

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock