Started on: 12-17-2014 12:06 AM
Replies: 4 (469 views)
Last post by: Irrationable on 12-18-2014 10:54 PM
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://mazda626.net/topic/3...-custom-gauge-faces/

pretty good write up if you want to make changes on your fiero gauges.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I attempted this project years ago. It is fairly time consuming to do it right, and it's definitely not easy to line everything up just right. I got all the way to the end and ended up not installing mine.

I really wanted back-lit gauges and the 120 speedo in my 85 that had front lit gauges and the 85 speedo and the oil gauge in the bottom of the tach. So I made up my own on photoshop and cannibalize a 120 cluster so they would be back lit. (would have been a lot easier to just install the GT gauges and aux pod but I wanted different faces anyway) I redid the needles and everything while I had it apart.

Here's how they turned out.
[IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/zdmcdonal/photo%201_zpskiznsjik.jpg[/I MG]

It was a lot of work in photoshop to get that tach/oil gauge right.
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried doing this about a month ago to cover up a severely faded sunbird turbo tach. I found a few designs here on the forums and ended up doing a few more myself in photoshop, but none of them lined up with the original gauge face design (looked good during the day, but didn't light up worth a crap at night). I ended up scanning my gauge face and color correcting it using photoshop and paint, but couldn't quite get it to line up with the original guage, so I scrapped the project and came up with another solution.

The mazda guys are unique in that their gauge faces aren't printed on the clear plastic that distributes the light evenly. They just remove the factory overlay and install their custom ones, so there's no fuss with trying to get the two lined up correctly so that light can pass through properly.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Irrationable:

The mazda guys are unique in that their gauge faces aren't printed on the clear plastic that distributes the light evenly. They just remove the factory overlay and install their custom ones, so there's no fuss with trying to get the two lined up correctly so that light can pass through properly.

You have to remove our original faces and start fresh. I used a real thin piece of hobby plastic as a light filter to disburse the light evenly and help block the non-lit areas better.
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had considered doing something like that myself, but ended up simply putting a clear coat over the gauge face to counteract the fading. Its still an option that I'd consider later on down the road, especially considering the work that I put into designing my custom gauge faces.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay